Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Westridge

Westridge The mountainous region ruled by House Harrowmont, noted for treacherous roads, snowwine, ghost tales, fabled mines and ruined fortresses. Elonian raids are tearing at the peace of the land.
Full Description .
Mirrormount . Moonspire .

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
The Oracles
the gods mods speak

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 3.29 late afternoon into the night - The Storm Cometh - EVERYONE ON PROGRESS

((Check your damage results & tent arrangments. You may begin a thread for your character's location, for example if you want you can start a thread for everyone in X Tent, or you may reply here for those caught out in the storm. If you are in a tent thread and the tent collapses, post running through the encampment to their next shelter in this thread. Now: GO SMASH THINGS WITH ICE AND DEATH.))

The storm clouds ahead warn the court of impending rain. As the air around them cools and rain crows begin their songs, the marshal's men and grooms take the bulk of the host's horses ahead, seeking shelter in whatever crofters' houses and stables they can find. The bulk of the caravan stops to begin setting up a hurried encampment on the down slope of two rolling hills. Reinforced horse tents go up for the baggage mules and ridden steeds that could not be sent ahead, then come the sturdiest of the nobles' tents-- none of the high-topped fancies that so often predominate when the court camps by cities and castles, these are the low-hung and walled formations, or broad, Zakkish pavilions meant to withstand the desert's howling winds.

Yet as the servants and nobles alike rush through setting up tents and digging small entrenchments (to keep ground water from rushing beneath their canvas floors) to avoid being caught out in the downpour, mistakes are made: Stakes are not driven deep enough or bent without being replaced; lines drawn too loosely or not secured with proper knots; the pegs fastening beams may not be tested well enough; and trenches not dug deep enough.

The sky darkens faster than it should, and the rain hits with a driving straight-line wind from Thorin's own mouth as thunder clashes above. The sky turns to night while rain pours in angry torrents and lightening illuminates in like uneven splashes of daylight.

The rain continues for two hours, easing now and then only to pour down once more, and the temperatures fall faster until the rain sounds solid as it pounds the canvas tents... then the dreaded sounds: alarm from the guards, and the warning yells from the remaining grooms. Those few daring to venture out in the momentary reprieves from the deluge must rush for cover or risk certain injury as ice-stones begin to fall, some no bigger than a child's thumb, others landing that could occupy a grown man's hand.

The gods are angry. And perhaps they're hungry too...
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

He was charged with acting as marshal for the king's household on this trip, since Keegan could not attend. This was not an auspicious beginning. Kain's clothes were soaked, despite his wool cloak, oiled leather boots and hauberk. What wasn't soaked was probably caked in mud, not that he had gotten much of a chance to look.

He barked orders and yelled at men to tighten this line, dig that trench, get that horse calmed down...

And then the heavens opened up to let Thorin's dick fuck them good and proper. Hail skittered across the canvas roofs, crunched underfoot, and someone's gods-damned charger broke his line and went howling off into the storm. Kain wasn't far from the entrance: he managed to grab hold of the horse's bridle but it wasn't interested in stopping: its eyes were white and it was a beast possessed.

He let go and fell back, leaving the damn thing to its fate. Either they'd find it after the storm they wouldn't. Wasn't his horse, and wasn't his squire who'd be taking the beating for losing it. He got up and headed for the same tent, waving off the half-jeering, half-approving calls from his men... but one step toward them the first of the larger hail stones began to fall. No longer a pea-sized inconvenience, a fist-size chunk of ice and hell landed hard a few yards to Kain's right...

"ICE-STONES!" someone yelled. The call went out in at least four different dialects but each one held the same horror.

"Get the last horses in!" Kain yelled over the last of the livestock pavilions, just in time for someone's horse to scream in agony and fall... It was a momentary lapse. A stupid impulse. Instead of running for the nearest safety, he turned to go toward the last tent.

The stone caught him upside the skull two steps later. A vague impression of surprise, and being dragged by someone--his squires?-- and then the strangely tall posts of some tent he had no immediate recollection of seeing before... and blackness.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
(Lord) Lanius Draven
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

There was always the call for heroics. He just wished people didn't answer it so damned often. Cold rain would mean illness... Sniffles and sneezes and fevers... And yet people insisted on braving the worst of it for livestock... Or horses... Which were a bit more valuable, sure, but definitely not the risk of the miasmas that came with such a storm. And then somebody cried 'ice-stones!' and Lanius sighed, peering out of the tent he had sought shelter in. Perhaps it was fate that had him do that just then... So he saw immediately the prince's son go down...

He swore... Looked up at the skies... and then called to a man he didn't know that stood behind him to come with him. Lanius grabbed for the bag he'd dropped at his foot and put it over his head to shield him, even if it wouldn't do much. Heroics... Damn it... Now he was doing them.

"Help me," he gritted after hooking his hand under Kain's arm. The other man who was using his coat to cushion any of the blows the ice stones might make grabbed him by the other. Lanius swore again and leaned over the young man to protect his face from any more ice stones, clenching his teeth when a large one hit his back. Wet, cold, dirty... But back within the tent, he knelt over Kain and turned his head to the side to examine the injury.

"My lord... Lord Kain... can you hear me?" he asked. His voice was even... as if he only half expected a response. He opened his back and reached inside for a cloth to began dabbing at the apparent wound.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Tyana felt chilled as the storm clouds rolled in and the air around them cooled. She pulled the fur lined hood of her cloak over her head and it managed to keep her relatively warm with the leather lining meant to withstand the weather. She stood outside awaiting her tent to be set up and for them to rush under it for shelter from the rain. Of course, not actually knowing how a tent was erected to proper standards she had no idea how carelessly it was done.

There was shouting outside of the tent while she was about to be settled inside when a crack of thunder made her jump. The rain poured as if it was intent on drowning them. She could not help but pace back and forth feeling agitated as it poured down at different intervals. The screaming of the horses and of the people still attempting to erect the rest of the tents or corralling the horses made her close her hands over her ears to drown out the noise.

Her maid attempted to calm her down while she bounced on Sanya's last nerve, but she could not be reasoned with at the moment and instead just glared at anyone who tried get her to sit down. However, Melodia poured her a generous dose of snow wine which she drank hastily allowing the liquid to warm her and numb her to what was happening outside. It seemed like the rain would never stop and only when it seemed to be slowing did she start breathing a sigh of relief. She should go to see if Zanara was all right and her tents was put up, but right as she was readying herself to go check on her all the while ignoring Sanya's warning, the rain poured even harder.

A string of curses escaped her mouth and she stared hotly at Sanya daring her to test her. Just as she was about to make a run for it, an alarm sounded. More yelling only this time, it was because of ice-stones that began to fall from the sky. Her eyes grew wide as she stared out in the storm and escaped getting hit. "This cannot be happ--" She screamed out as something impacted the tent letting lose the support beam that held it all together. Without hesitation, Tyana managed to crawl under her writing desk not entirely sure where Sanya was or Amina. Even then the assault did not stop as several large ice-stones fell out of the sky crashed onto her tent causing the whole thing to collapse right on top of them smothering out any light and plunging them into darkness. A few pieces of furniture could have been used to escape the heavy wet canvas, and giant ice-storms from falling onto them, but at the moment she was unaware of the huge support beam that fell right on top of Melodia crushing in her head. At least, death came quickly to her. "Fuck! Is everyone all right?" She screamed out from where she was under the collapsed tent. This is why a knife or sword would make sense.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Carolei's tent was a relic of her marriage- and Arion had always chosen heavy timbers that were hell to get upright but were meant to take a beating. The canvas was the problem as massive hailstones were slamming against it and she could practically hear seams straining and fibers fraying. She'd ushered Vespera, Selene and Mya under a heavy camp table while she crept toward the tent's entrance to look out on the chaos beyond. Tents fell like leaves- Jason's was down, several other lords, and... there went Tyana's as well. Carolei swore in phrases she'd only learned from listening to Keegan Vellfyre as a child, and turned around to order her companions to remain as they were. She held a metal tray over her own head, in a ridiculous but necessary shield-- she could guess the damage the larger stones were doing and knew better than to imagine all the screaming was coming from injured horses... humans sounded so much worse.

She watched Tyana's tent, seeing people moving under the canvas and timbers but with the way the stones were coming down they'd be as good as unprotected- and wouldn't even see the end coming. But the guards were swarming over other tents, and around the horses...

Carolei grabbed one of the knives off the table her attendants were under. "Stay. Down," she hissed. "I mean it, Vespera. One toe out from under there and I will drag you before Lord Harrowmont himself when we reach Ashmark."

With that, Carolei ran out into the lightning-streaked darkness. One arm kept the tray over her like a shield (reason number 100 to just perpetually steal her brothers' helms...) and the other wielding a dagger to start slashing open the canvas of the fallen Solvitreo tent.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
(Fool) Oliver Meadows
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Oliver headed back from the king's tent at entirely the wrong time, it seemed. At least he was somewhat drunk on wine when the storm hit, and managed to avoid most of the hailstones falling from the sky. "Now now gods," he slurred, looking up at the sky and pointing. "Let's have none of..."

A loud boom of thunder and a crack of lightning made him jump backwards...and a large hailstone hit his cheek. The one unblemished with a scar, of course. The irony. "Wanted to make me more...more..." he put his hand to his cheek, blood dripping through his fingers, and stumbled forward, falling on his knees to the ground.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

“Where is Dahlia?!” Lenore barked at Salome who simply spread her hands looking guilelessly at Len. With a growl Lenore threw her own hands up in the air. The low slung tent rattled from the force of the winds, it wasn’t the first storm Lenore had ever been caught in and wouldn’t be the last, she ground her teeth in irritation.

The crowded tent made pacing almost impossible as she waited for that silly girl of hers to return. She paused at the open flap of the tent and stared off into the chaos unfolding around them. The storm was racing in on them. Thunder and lightening lighting up the sky in a brilliant light show. The hail began.

She saw it then, the flash of a sunflower yellow skirt swirling in confusion. The damned girl hadn’t been paying attention again to which tent was theirs. Lenore stepped outside momentarily, her arm trying to shield herself from the worst of it. “Dahlia…. Dahlia we are over here!” Lenore was screaming yet it seemed to be lost in the wind. She waved her arm at the girl, who saw it. Dahlia smiled, and then it hit her.

Lenore’s eyes widened as if she’d seen a deer shot for the first time. An angry chunk of ice hit Dahlia with such force it knocked her to the ground. “Salome!” Lenore screeched and without thinking darted out of her tent to Dahlia’s side. She was alive, fuzzy headed, but alive. Grabbing her by the arm, Lenore threw her weight into it and started half pulling, half dragging Dahlia towards the camp. Large chunks of ice seemed to be falling, coming close but only grazing Lenore. Salome was there in an instant, grabbing Dahlia as they pulled her back inside the tent.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
(King) Rothgar Vellfyre
the king.

My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Rothgar's dark mood remained as violent as the storm destroying his courtiers' camp. Worthing Wolfe's body was on its way to Blacktide, dispatched with Ziamara's party. Perhaps his daughter could convince House Wolfe to simply mourn... and Ryan Seyfert, Gawen Vayth, and now the gods themselves...

His own tent was heavy made and constructed but he looked out from safety under its reinforced canopy to see his son's tent collapse, dispatching two of the guards out to see they made it to the safety of Attericus' wedding gift... then a page came running with word about Melantha's, Thane's, Tyana's...

"Ali, what the fuck did we do to merit this?" he demanded, turning to his sister with a glare on his face.

"Sit down, brother. You can sort the mess out once the gods have finished their tantrum. No sense in having two at once."
Old 09-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
(Prince) Bryce Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

Bryce stood on the other side of his sister, watching Rothgar with a careful eye but also looking out into the darkness of the storm. He kept wondering where it was his son had wound up...? Had Ziamara come along, he would not need to worry... He would have gone to her to see to her safety. But now it was ever a mystery... And one he had a feeling would not be solved until the ice stopped falling from the sky. He tried his very best to appear calm as if he was not at all worried that his child was somewhere buried under a blanket of hail...

"We did nothing to merit this," he answered even though the question was not his. "In my experience, the weather here has never been something to celebrate..."
Old 09-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #10
(King) Rothgar Vellfyre
the king.

My Mood:

"That's probably why Attericus enjoys it," he muttered. "And whoever set up Jason's tent... remind me to beat them within an inch of their lives. All I need now: a dead heir and presenting Attericus with his daughter's body." He drained the cup and held it out to let his trembling squire dart over to pour another round.

"I'm already going to piss off Adhemar. Why not just shit on both the high lords and have a merry gods-damned war-- THORIN'S COCK. Someone go get my damned fool out of the hail. It's hard finding one I can tolerate."

He snarled the order at Uriel who gave a heroic effort at not rolling his eyes before he dashed off, shield raised to go grab Oliver.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #11
(Prince) Bryce Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I shall make a note of it," Bryce said, trying not to smirk. He knew he shouldn't, but there was something he found amusing when his brother was in the midst of his tantrums. He glanced at his sister, half suspecting she was having the same struggle, but he could never be sure. She always seemed just as talented as her brothers when it came to keeping her thoughts hidden when she wanted them to be.

"Lord Solvitreo can be reasoned with," Bryce said. It might not always be true, but most times it was. Maybe. "I should probably have somebody locate my son... I'm not sure where he got off to... Somehow managing to burn something down in this deluge... I wouldn't be surprised."

"He does seem to have inherited your talent for destruction, my dear," Ali replied.

"I don't know what you mean," Bryce said. "My son takes after his mother. Not me."
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
(King) Rothgar Vellfyre
the king.

My Mood:

Rothgar made a very un-regal snort. "Your son is you down to the toes. Maybe I should wed him to Tyana and classify them both as siege weapons: just send them toward whetever I want burning to the ground by dinner. You'll know when that messenger reaches Sunspire; they'll hear Adhemar's treasury screaming from fucking Trimeris."
Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #13
(Prince) Bryce Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Marrying Tyana to Kain would provoke Adhemar to war," Bryce pointed out. "But that's not inaccurate... But there's something to be said... Generally burning towers to the ground is frowned upon by many hosts... It could have been worse."
Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #14
(King) Rothgar Vellfyre
the king.

My Mood:

"She could have burned the host?" Alianor asked with a slight smirk.

"She could have burned the whole castle on accident, you mean." Rothgar glared anyway. "I'm of a mind to marry the girl to the pigboy and tell her father it's better than he ought to hope for. Oh, don't start, Ali: you know I won't. But the thought still occurs."
Old 09-23-2015, 12:34 AM   #15
(Prince) Bryce Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"One could argue that if she had done it a few days sooner, she would have burned the host... Too soon?"

Bryce sniffed. "Not possible. I refuse to believe Solvitreos are not adept at bringing down towers. I think they're taught that around their seventh namedays..."
Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #16
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He didn't respond to Lanius. He was in the rainy season, up by Charn and they'd just come on a bunch of the khan's scouts. Rollant yelled something. He couldn't hear...

Kain's eyes slitted open and he stared around without understanding it. The sands didn't smell right. And what the fuck was Lanius doing here?

Shit. The light was different. Darker? How long was he out? When did he pass out? And whose sword was in his skull...?

"The fuck happened?"
Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #17
(Lord) Lanius Draven
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Oh! So he was awake. That was a good sign. The longer one slept after a blow to the head, the more unlikely it was that they would wake. At least he'd be able to deliver some good news to the prince when the time came for that.

"You took a rather impressive hit to your skull, my lord," he said bluntly, setting aside the soiled rag to apply a fresh one. "Cut me strips," he said to the man who'd helped to drag him in, holding out another one for him. "I must say frankly," he began, his attention back on Kain. "Between you and your kin... it's never a dull day to be a magister."
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #18
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"My... kin? Shit. Where's Kel? Rollant?" Kain's eyes flared and he tried to sit up, only to fall back in a wave of nausea. "Fucking hells, where are my cousins?"
Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #19
(Lord) Lanius Draven
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Oh... So not really awake. He'd hold off on sending a runner just now. "My lord... Think about where you are. Who I am. You are in Edolon. Home from the war. It will take a moment, but you'll remember. And don't try to get up... Your cousins will be fine." Not Rollant... but he'd rather he remember that one on his own than being the one to re-deliver that blow.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #20
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Edolon...?" In this crashing storm...? "Where's Apple then?" Bad enough he didn't know where Kel was, but if they were home... "Lanius, you better know where the girls are. And who the hell broke my helm?"
Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #21
(Lord) Lanius Draven
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Soldiers and knights always made for the worst patients. "Apple is in Kingsreach. She's as safe from this storm as one can possibly be," he assured him. "We're on the king's progress, my lord. It's been quite interesting so far. Mad lords, Gawen Vayth and Ryan Seyfert dead, and a giant tower burning to the ground." Surely fire would jog his memory. It always worked on his father.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #22
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

His head was foggy as hell but Lanius' reminders fell into place even if the actual sequence and meanings weren't entirely forming... "Edelina's bloody cunt... I'm still pissed at that girl. She should've left the flames til we were gone."
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #23
(Lord) Lanius Draven
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Well holy hell... It worked. Like father, like son...

"I am disappointed that she didn't. There were bets starting, you know... Half of us thought it'd be a Vellfyre to start it... The other half suspected the Voldryn... Then there were smatterings the new Lord Seyfert would do it himself..." He removed the cloth to grab a fresh one. "The bleeding's slowing. That's a good sign."
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #24
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Bah. Whoever did it, would've waited til the court was gone... then let the world believe it was Kyle. He's just... pissed he looked weak, not burning it down himself." Kain grimaced when the magister pulled off the bandage... "What hit me again?"
Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #25
(Lord) Lanius Draven
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Cannot say I blame him," Lanius said, trying not to chuckle. "An ice rock... They're falling like mad out there... This good sir and I braved it to pull you into this tent... So, the least you can do is recover splendidly to thank me for it." He did smile then, but it was still a serious request.
Closed Thread

Tags
alianor vellfyre, bryce vellfyre, carolei vikary, kain vellfyre, lanius draven, lenore vellfyre, oliver meadows, rothgar vellfyre, tyana solvitreo