Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Tal Volorro > Event: Chaos Strikes (1.03.331-??)

Event: Chaos Strikes (1.03.331-??) This is an event forum. Threads taking place anywhere within Volorro during this time period will be put here. The place each thread takes place should appear in its title, along with the date and time.

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List
Gaiseric Harrowmont, Gareth Agrivale

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default (Firewell) 1.03 night - The Cavalry... or something - (Kain, Gareth, Gaiseric. OPEN)

Kain had found twenty men- most of whom at least had served in the city for some time, a couple who'd lived in New Volorro. The captain of the guard had ordered those born in Firewell to remain in the castle, probably to avoid any sudden feelings of sympathy toward former neighbors in the event the king's men started putting that part of the city to the sword.

Finding a prisoner who would admit to or even claim to know the mysterious man of the gold teeth had been trickier, but a couple had claimed as much once the offer was put to them: Knowing the man might get them a cleaner death, leading Kain and his companions to the villein in question would win them their lives back.

As they rode into Firewell, the sounds of a war were like a familiar blanket though tonight the screams were in Common Edolene, not Zakkish. Kain realized with a start his Zakkish was probably better than his Common these days... but he wasn't really all that concerned with asking questions.

One of the guards, Thom, was serving as impromptu interpreter and turned to Kain. "The fool says as Gold-mouth has got a bit of a spot as a procurer of wares for a brothel a few streets down. Might've taken the lady there."

Brothels that might well be already in the hands of royal guards or Golden Sons... then again those forces might have presence of mind to put a highborn's bounty at a higher priority than fucking and peasant-robbing... or not. Kain's scowl stayed in place as he looked around the street they were on- it was quiet, for the moment but they were at the outer edges of the small collection of goat paths turned streets that made up Firewell...

"What do you think?" He turned turned to Harrowmont and Meadows. "Start there? Or try burning the fucking place house by house..."
Old 03-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Gareth didn't exactly have any men to gather. He had the squire, but Allen wasn't exactly much help in the dregs of Volorro - he was noble-born and noble-bred, although not particularly highly or of a great deal of importance in his family. Gareth spoke better Low Edolene, but then, he'd had ample opportunity to learn. He might have been a nobleman's bastard, but he'd never been a nobleman's pampered bastard.

"Let's leave off with the burning as long as we can," said Gareth, keeping an eye on the street. It was entirely too much like the chaos on a besieged city, and while Gareth wasn't one to often lose sleep over war memories, the too familiar surroundings were setting him on edge. "The city might do that for us, anyway. Let's check the brothel, and if it's a dead end, we'll just start beating people until they give us a new direction to go."
Old 03-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
(Ser) Gaiseric Harrowmont
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Gaiseric had had a scowl on his face since they had left the temple. Interrogating prisoners had been difficult and he had nearly resorted to beating the where abouts of the Golden mouth kidnapper before one of the filthy rioters decided to speak. Impatience and deepening angry had absorbed his mind now. His scowl had only intensified since they had arrived in Firewell and he got a glimpse of how bad things had gotten. He could here the outright chaos going on around him and it brought up more than a few memories.

"Aye." He agreed with Gareth. "The brothel will be our best bet. Someone in there will know something." His expression stayed dark as he looked from Kain to Gareth to the collection of Guards they had brought with them. "The will be plenty of time to raze this cesspit to the ground once Lady Shiera is safe."

Last edited by Gaiseric Harrowmont; 03-13-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Shiera... Elinor..." he muttered, and spurred his horse to follow the directions the commoner had given. The path wasn't very quick- the streets were narrow and mud-churned-to-mire, and here and there knots of civilians were trying to flee or defend, piles of wood that had probably been prized furniture and wagons not too long before were dotting the area- but the soldiers cleared as they went.

Getting to the brothel was easier than getting in the brothel, however. The door was more effectively barred, and by the looks of it, someone with a hatchet had already been attempting it before being dissuaded either by death or easier prey.

Kain nodded to one of the men, who yelled: "Open in the name of the king!"

No answer came. "Break it down." Kain's order was curt, and he turned in the saddle to one of the sergeants. "You and six men go round the back. Meadows, you want to accompany them or help me and Harrowmont with busting windows?" While four men were setting to the door, Kain had every intention of using just as much force on two of the ground-level windows at the front of the place.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

The city streets were a mess of mud and worse, and not for the first time did Gareth wonder at the kind of people who were happy to call Tal Volorro home. Not the nobles and the rich merchants clustered around the palace and the temple district, with streets still half-paved and squares lined with stone buildings.

No. Here, in the muck and mire of the ramshackle slums beside the walls. It was easy to look down on simple country peasants and serfs, but few lived such cramped, filthy existences as the city poor. Few knew the same levels of degradation and disease. Perhaps it was just Gareth's provincial upbringing, but he'd have preferred a field and cows and fresh air to the miserable slums of Firewell.

"I'll go around back," he said, sliding off Hatchet's back and taking the horse by the reins to lead him along with him. Fat fucking chance Gareth would leave his horse in the street. Some dumb shit might get himself kicked to death trying to steal him, and Gareth didn't want to deal with the fuss that would bring.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #6
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

With Meadows heading off with the second group, Kain grinned at Harrowmont. "Let's go then. You... and you three... that window." He nodded to the east window. "You other three, with me. The rest of you, stay alert and kill anybody who gets too close with a weapon."

Kain dismounted into the muck as one of his chosen men picked up a stout bit of wood from among the rubble. One of the other men got hold of another piece, and soon the barricaded window was being rammed. Closer to the window, Kain could hear female screams from inside. Oh, good... either they were going to break up someone's siege party or they might actually find something useful.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

He went through the alley, a space hardly big enough for Hatchet to go with him, coming around to the back of building - a squat doorway above a stoop half sunk into the mire of the street. The seven sent by Kain followed Gareth, and they clustered around the door. No one had any proper door-breaking tools, but they didn't need them - one or two had short axes, and Gareth himself had a mace still strapped over his back. Strictly speaking, one of them could have probably kicked the door open, but they didn't know what was waiting on the other side.

One of them raised an axe and Gareth shook his head, putting a finger over his mouth and waiting. The streets were still noisy, but he leaned his head close to the door and listened.

No footsteps near it. Even when Kain and the others began breaking the windows. No feet, no muffled voices. They'd barred it and left it alone. "Alright," he said, stepping aside. "Bust it down. Don't go mad once you get in, though, I don't care if it looks like a khan's hareem in there. Hands off the women unless they come at you with a knife."

The door wasn't made to withstand much more than drunken pounding, and several blows from an axe was all it took to see it shattered. Someone reached through and pushed up the bar, then swung the door inward and let the soldiers inside with Gareth following.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
(Ser) Gaiseric Harrowmont
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Guy dismounted near three of the guards as they went to work destroying the window. He had his arms crossed and watched the guardsmen bash at the window with whatever was readily at hand. He winced when he heard the, but at least breaking into the brothel would not be a wasted effort. The windows gave way after a few heaves from the guards. The barricades were enough to deter the lone looter but not the collective efforts of the king's men.

Guy pushed past the guards wanting to be the first to through the destroyed window. They may have been better than the looters, but he did not trust the guardsmen not to wreak havoc upon the occupants of the building. Guy managed to squeeze himself through the window quickly began to observe the immediate area. It was dark and desolate. Small candles threw unsettling shadows across the walls. Whoever was inside had surely tucked themselves themselves in the darkest holes they could find.

Gaiseric turned as the guards followed him inside. One hand on his sheathed sword he turned to them. Spread out and round up anyone here." He barked curtly. Turning back around. "And see that round them up is all you do. Remember we're here for information."
Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Kain followed his men through the busted window, and into a mess of screaming- a couple of whores by the sound of it and either pimps or interrupted customers. Didn't matter- the men had apparently thought that crown troops would lose interest before breaking in and hadn't gotten more than pants and daggers up. He kicked one of them in the stomach as the man raised up from the floor.

"Someone go get the damned door open. Commons- bar the front, but just shutter the windows... and by the sounds of it leave the back open..." Kain muttered, wondering at some men's stupidity but having something else to worry about seconds later: keeping one of the soldiers from stabbing a girl who'd tried to run out the door.

The two men they'd caught, and one girl- not a promising start. "Keep moving," he ordered the remaining two soldiers with him, once the three prisoners were secured with rope that had probably up til five minutes ago just been tying the girl to the bed.

Kain had to think a moment to remember enough Commons to get his point across to the girl. "Any other women here?"

She looked at him like he was a dog that had just crowed. "Me lord...?"

"Any others? Tell it true, I'll give you gold. Tell me wrong, I give you something less pleasant."

The girl blanched and nodded. "U-up stairs, me lord. A-a-and some... some others... might be down in the cellar still. For breaking in, he says- ye can't trust a girl out what's not used to a place."

Kain's sneer was for her pimp, not for the girl but she shrank backward anyway. "Thank you, girl. Don't pick tonight to try going out. You won't like it."
Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

Gareth and three of the men who had come in with him fanned out, making their way through the back of the brothel which was largely empty - there was a kitchen and a storeroom, and from the looks of things, neither were occupied. It wasn't until they came into the main room of the downstairs that they saw anyone else at all.

"Left some men at the door at the back," he said to Kain as they met again, eyeing the men tied and the woman speaking to Kain, though he hadn't been close enough to catch what it was she'd said.

"Is she here?"
Old 03-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"She might be," Kain said darkly and glanced back at the trembling girl. He snapped his fingers at the soldier who'd been translating earlier for their accompanying informant. That man too was now slumped down, just as bound as the new captives.

"You, ask these about the man with the teeth," Kain ordered before he walked over to grab the girl by the arm and drag her up to her feet. She wasn't very tall, and more bones than flesh. He tried not to grip her too hard but she flinched so damn much... "Show us the cellar," Kain said, switching to Common again.

The girl was staring wide-eyed at Gareth, then at Kain and looked like she was trying to shrink in her skin but she shuffled toward the back, not even asking for her arms to be untied, but Kain actually chuckled as she skirted by Gareth like he might be a poisonous snake.

"And I thought my scars scared girls," Kain remarked lightly. "Your glare seems to be worse. This one says there might be new girls in the cellars. We'll take a couple men down and find out."
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

Gareth watched the girl go by, then shook his head and looked to Kain. "The whores were better fed in the fucking sands," he said, then waved two of the men who'd come in with him over. "You two, come with us. The other of you, go watch the stairs to the upper level. No one going down or up."

He followed the girl through the back of the brothel again, and waited as she paused by a narrow doorway beside the storeroom. Without lamp or candle lit, it had been almost impossible to see on his way through the first time, which Gareth supposed was probably intentional.

"You first or me?" said Gareth, reaching for the latch on the outside of the door and looking to Kain.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I'll go first." Kain grinned. "Rotghar will spit me and roast me if I get the new Lord Oldcastle killed before he picks a new coat of arms." He looked at the girl. "Anyone else down there but the 'new girls'?"

"No, me lord. Nobody... usual ways. But... mayhap a guard now? I don't know there's one but it's all unrest out here tonight..." She was stumbling over the words and he could hardly undersand them, so he held up a hand.

"All right. I'll just stay ready to kill anything that moves too fast, I guess." With that, Kain lifted his shortsword and started down the stairs, letting the others follow as they willed.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

"And wait until you see the arms," said Gareth with a single, flashed grin, but the expression was quickly extinguished at the sound of the girl's voice, her Common too thick and her babbling too obviously nervous for Gareth to make perfect sense of it.

Kain went ahead and he followed, and the dark of the cellar closed in around them. Wet, earthy, the stairs under their feet were warped by decades of underground humidity, replaced patchwork here and there where one had rotted away in the damp. The walls were at least lined with brick and stone, but not with great skill - there were places where earth had cracked mortar, and the bricks had crumbled into pieces. The floor was hard-packed dirt at the bottom and while it was dark immediately at the foot of the stairs, there was a faint orange glow from behind a crumbling wood and plaster partition built to separate the cellar into two parts. No door between them, only an open frame with a tattered curtain.

Gareth had no weapon in hand, but he still had his knife in his boot and his flail at his hip. Not that it would have done much good in the close confines of a cellar.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #15
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Kain moved the curtain with his left hand, his eyes level as he entered. Gaze darting about in the room lit only by a single oil, he did not see the legs that impeded his path... His foot caught beneath them and he stumbled forward, his feet seeking purchase on the dirt floor, slipping a little until he managed to catch the wall to prevent a fall. Turning to see what he tripped over, he froze. He was used to brutality but to see the woman laying on the floor, eyes staring straight up but seeing nothing, he felt the breath in his chest catch. The state of her body told a gruesome story... Some limbs facing wrong directions, bruises coloring the skin he could see, and even in her face... he could see bones protruding from the skin. It took him a little longer to not imagine it was Shiera... The hair was wrong. Red. He breathed when that sank in.

"Watch your step," he said to Gareth. There was another woman in the corner. Dead, he also assumed... Sword still out, he went closer to investigate, looking to her hair for the same reassurance he'd gotten from the first... But aside from blood, her hair was blonde and about the length of Shiera's. She was about the right size and shape for her, too. Crouching down, his hand went to her arm to gently turn her enough that he could see her face. It wasn't clear at first, but suddenly Kain let his sword fall, breathing in as if the wind had been knocked out of him.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #16
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

Gareth followed closely behind, but Kain was just far enough ahead that Gareth didn't crash into him as he apparently lost his footing. The reason for it became clear enough as Gareth found himself in the half room of the cellar. A dead woman, sprawled on the floor and in a state that made it clear hers wasn't a quick death or an easy one.

He crouched beside the corpse as Kain moved away, but even in the torchlight Gareth could see her hair wasn't blonde. He'd been nearly about to ask Kain what he'd found in the corner, but he heard a sword drop to the ground and thought better of it.

The face that greeted Kain was a battered one as well, though not nearly so severely as dead woman's. Her hair was caked with blood at her left temple, as if someone had struck there and struck hard, and her bottom lip was split, bleeding sluggishly. What clothing on her remained was ripped nearly into shreds, and there were fresh hand-sized bruises around her neck, over her chest and stomach, and all along her legs.

A coil of red coral had been left looped around her right wrist, the only piece of finery that remained. Blood covered her left hand, and beneath the gore one of her fingers looked mangled beyond all possibility of healing. Shiera didn't move, and it would have been easy to mistake her for dead, but her chest rose and fell slowly.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 AM   #17
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

His hands were shaking as he looked at her, trying to figure out where best to lift her. "We need... something to cover her with." His arm slipped beneath her back, fingers gently moving against her skin to make sure he was not about to press against a broken bone... Or at least... a protruding one. "A cape... or something."
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #18
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

Gareth stood, hands moving to his sword belt, which he unbuckled quickly. It dropped to the floor around his feet, and he unlaced his surcoat at his side, sliding it over his head and handing it off to Kain. His armor beneath was plenty warm for the day, and he wasn't likely to be out in the cold for much longer - so he didn't need it.

"Here," he said. "You can get this over her head without moving her too much."
Old 03-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #19
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Kain turned his hand and reached for the surcoat to carefully cover her before he got his arm beneath her knees and stood slowly... It was slow going but he did stand fully and turn back towards the door. "I'll follow you," he said. "Take my sword."
Old 03-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #20
(Lord) Gareth Agrivale
demoted to extra

Gareth reaffixed his own sword belt, then knelt to take Kain's sword. The rest of the guards who had come with him had clustered at the entrance to the room, and Gareth waved them on.

"Go," he said, gesturing to the stairs and leaving the room with Kain following behind. "We should see her back and to a Magister as quickly as possible. Do you want me to stay here and see to the men you've got captured upstairs?"
Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #21
(Ser) Kain Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Kain didn't hear him at first, but he turned. "Yes... I'll take her back and then return ere long." But he could not delay. A moment longer could be the difference between... He didn't waste time on more words. He just hurried to the exit so he could, in turn, hurry back to the palace.
Closed Thread

Tags
gaiseric harrowmont, gareth meadows, kain vellfyre