Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Tal Volorro > Tor Vellesca

Tor Vellesca The walls of the castle protect its inhabitants and often shield its secrets as well. Built just after the Asseryan Conquest it was one of the few buildings to make it unscathed through the war and is still filled with stunning mosaics, intricate frescoes, and statues from all over Anterra.
Supplied by the aqueducts that feed the city as well, the palace hosts countless fountains and even running water in some areas and enable it to support near 2,000 inhabitants. Picture

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 2.15.31 Full Bet Rule (Tyana/Raisa - Open /Come play cards!)

The gaming table had been set up in the gardens, as the weather was pleasant enough for outside leisure. Servants had brought refreshment to be enjoyed, and stood close enough at hand to provide any whims as desired.

Seated at the table, Worthing had gone over the basic rules with Lady Raisa. He still couldn't be sure if she understood or was being polite to his tutelage. In any case, he sent word to Lady Tyana asking she meet them in the gardens, at her convenience. It was tough to find players, but they would make do as a threesome if no one chanced by.

He shuffled the cards. "So... before you bet, give some thought to how much you can actually manage with your cards.. and how much you can manage by making your opponents think you have a strong hand." He was saying. "A lot of it comes down to deception." He grinned. "It's like politics."
Worthing Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
(Lady) Raisa Verrun
demoted to extra

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

"Yes," Raisa nodded slowly with her voice a little faint as she watched the cards shift and change as he shuffled them. It still looked the same to her, even though she imagined that by the end of his explanation, she could go to the king, strip her clothes, roll around in his sheets and then challenge him to a game of cards, procuring a strong hand and defeating him senseless with a smug grin on her face. Now she only felt lost but tried to cover it with a doleful smile. Her fingers entwined nervously, she wanted to ask him what he meant by ‘like politics’ but she didn’t want to look stupid, so she decided to remain silent and pretend to understand. "What are we betting or… betting with?" she asked, trying to sound assured.
Raisa Verrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Tyana was overjoyed when she heard word from Worthing and glad that she was already changed from whatever menial chore that Charlotte cooked up for her in the morning. Her hair was brushed of debris and dust and she glanced in the mirror to ensure that she was not worst for wear.

She wore a woolen kirtle along with a gown of velvet that was lined with fur. As usual over that was a samite bliaud of a deeper jewel colored blue and shot through with silver thread that accentuated her light eyes, but the sleeves were looser than when she went climbing. With quick and nimble steps, she went out to meet him in the gardens just to find him there with Lady Raisa. They were seated at a table with a deck of cards in front of them.

As Tyana drew closer, she heard him explaining how to play the game and Raisa's softer voice agreeing to it. However, she wondered how much Raisa actually understood about the card game that Worthing just described.

Once she was close enough, the young Solvitreo plopped down in the empty seat and grinned, “It is lovely to see you again Lady Raisa, Ser Worthing. What are the rules and did I hear what we were to bet with?”
Tyana Solvitreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"In a typical game, we'd bet with coin. But ..." Worthing was telling Raisa, just as Tyana joined them. He offered her a greeting smile. "Lady Tyana, pleased you could join us." The lady Raisa was so agreeable, he couldn't tell if he was explaining properly or not.

He cut the cards absently. "Truth be told, I figured we'd begin simply... For betting, we'll get by using marbles ." He gestured toward the weighted bag he had obtained from his squire for purpose of the game. "The bets range by five. So if you bet thirty-five, next bet is forty and so on.." Worthing split the deck, and reshuffled. "Usual suits apply. Ace over king, etc.. " He glanced at Tyana and Raisa in turn. "Any questions, ladies?"
Old 05-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
(Lady) Raisa Verrun
demoted to extra

Raisa was quiet as she observed the conjured bag of marbles with some disappointment then her eyes followed his hands as he dealt the cards. It still felt as if he were speaking in another tongue. "Why ace over king? King should trump all," Raisa said, a hint of stubbornness in her voice. She had it in her mind that she wanted all the king cards for herself. "And what happens when we win our bets, what does the winner get from the losers?"
Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Tyana looked from Raisa to Worthing and just smiled. It was quite obvious that Raisa had no idea how to play the game and it was rather fun watching Worthing trying to explain it. "Yes, Ser Worthing, please do explain further," she said with encouragement trying not to show too much amusement in her smile.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Lady Raisa, your question is logical. It would seem that the king could be the highest card. But he's not." He knew Tyana could have explained things to Raisa, and eyed her for a moment, not masking his suspicions of her desire for mischief. "The ace is the highest. Consider the ace... " He sought some power that would get him off the hook. "..a deity."

He absently began dealing the cards. "Well, I was thinking we'd just use the marbles, unless you ladies want to wager anything else?" He looked between them, seeking suggestions. Playing cards with men was easier, but company less delightful so it evened out.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
(Lady) Raisa Verrun
demoted to extra

A silence washed over Raisa as she observed Worthing quietly, her eyes narrowed slightly and she ignored his question about the betting as her mind remained at unrest with the senseless rules of the card game. "He should be the highest," she said finally, her voice less soft and uncertain. "The gods put the king in our mortal realm to rule in their stead. If they did not agree to it, there would be no king. The king is the highest card. The ace is an ace… if it were a deity, it would have been named as such."
Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Was it logical? Tyana did not think so while Worthing decided to explain it further only to have Raisa continue to not agree with the rules of the game. The young Solvitreo lowered her gaze first to the marbles, but more to hide the amusement from her eyes. She even pressed the back of her hand to her lips for a moment and cleared her throat to strangle the laughter that threatened to escape.

Finally, she seemed to get it under control and made a suggestion, "We can always adjust the rules, Ser Worthing." It was obvious they would not even get a hand in at this rate, but the rules for cards could always be altered to fit those that were playing the game.

"As for bets, the marbles can be markers, as long as Lady Raisa has no further objections."
Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I can't argue with your points, Lady Raisa..." Worthing rubbed his chin. He frowned slightly. "Truth be told, I don't rightly know why the ace is above the king..." He shrugged, almost apologetically. "I didn't invent the ranks." He shot Tyana a glance hearing the lady clear her throat. She didn't appear suspicious, still...

He regathered the deck of cards, and shuffled. He glanced back at Tyana. "Well... " It seemed rather silly to change established ranks. Wait. What the hells did it matter? "Alright. Why not?" He started dealing. "King above ace... " He exhaled something resembling a sigh. Soon the three hands of cards were dealt into three piles.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
(Lady) Raisa Verrun
demoted to extra

"I am glad you see it my way," Raisa replied to Worthing victoriously and she slid her own pile of cards towards herself. She drew up her cards and stared at them blankly, no expression on her face before she set them back down and then leant over towards Worthing, pulling up her cards so only he could see them. "No more objections," she said in passing to Tyana before she addressed the man. "What do I do with these?" she asked in a whisper.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Worthing regarded his own cards. He looked at Raisa for a moment. His own expression almost as blank as hers, as the question sank in. "Lady Raisa, remember... the suits we went over earlier?" He asked. His tone was casual, but he drummed a finger on the tabletop. "You should be looking at your cards, and determining the best possible means of creating an ideal betting hand."

He glanced at Tyana with a weak smile. "This round can be a test run." Then he looked back at Raisa's cards. "Alright... this one is good, move it next to that one..." He sighed, her hand was better than his. A woman's luck.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #13
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Tyana nibbled her lower lip as she picked up her cards for a glance. It could have been a tell, but mostly it was her trying not to laugh at Raisa's capacity to learn new things. "I think that is a great idea, Ser Worthing. It may allow Lady Raisa to easily recall the suits that are the best during a few test runs."

She had to admire Worthing's patience and how he handled an awkward situation. Her hand was not that great with a two of a kind and placed two cards upon the table to replace the cards and waited for Worthing to deal out two more cards. The most difficult part of the games when starting off was the mechanics and learning which hands were the best and used to trump other ones. Then came the more tricky part of bluffing, cheating, and even intimidating others enough to fold their hand.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
(Lady) Raisa Verrun
demoted to extra

Raisa’s eyes flickered in confusion as her head tried to sort out what Worthing was explaining and after a few moments of staring at the cards he pointed out, she did as he said and moved them. "No... I would like to play a true game. I intend to win," Raisa said quietly before giving a small mouse-like smile. "Do I put my cards down or….?" Her question trailed away and she looked up at Worthing and Tyana expectantly, awaiting further guidance.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Worthing offered Tyana a look that could be described at gratitude. "Aye, that's the best way to learn." Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, maybe Raisa would catch on quickly. He dealt Tyana two new cards. He glanced at his own hand, then repeated the same action the lady had of discarding and dealing himself two replacement cards.

He looked back at Raisa. "No... don't put them down, hold them up, like this, Lady Raisa." He fanned his cards. "Normally, you'd do as we have, decide if you want to discard cards for new ones to improve your chances...But your hand is good, so we should advance to betting." Damn. That was going to be fun. "So... unn..." He gazed back at Tyana. "Would you do us the honor of starting the bet, Lady Tyana?"
Old 05-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #16
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Tyana beamed at Raisa and then at Worthing, "Yes, a true game. An excellent idea, my lady, how else will you learn?" Both Worthing and Tyana would know it was not a true game especially when he knew the cards in her hand, but Raisa did not have to know that. Your hand is good. Interesting. She picked up the two cards that Worthing dealt out and found a third making hers a three of a kind. Not great, but good enough to win if she decided to bluff.

However, temptation overtook Tyana for an opportunity to plant a seed of mischief. It was difficult to ignore and while Worthing dangled on a hook, he decided to delegate the responsibility to her on how to bet.

"Of course, Ser Worthing," she replied sweetly. "With betting, you have several options in front of you as well, Lady Raisa. You can check which only means that you wish to pass on making a bet at that time because you do not wish to start the betting round. In bigger groups, others can also check until someone opens the betting round."

"This game is usually played in rounds and the person on the right of the one dealing the cards is the first to either check, bet, raise or fold. It is the order to ensure fairness and those are just the terms used in the game which you want to say aloud during your turn," she continued. "For this round, I will open the betting round by placing a bet of two marbles." She then pushed two of the marbles with her index and middle finger towards the middle.

"Since you are on my right, you will go next, by either raising my current bet to an even larger amount because you have a great hand and want to win even more mon...marbles, fold because you want to drop out but you will lose any of the previous bets that were made, or call which means you match the highest bet made." Then she went silent until Raisa made her decision on what she wanted to do next.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
(Lady) Raisa Verrun
demoted to extra

After Tyana was finished, Raisa glanced at Worthing as if he was supposed to tell her what to decide but then she turned and nodded. "I’ll place a higher bet," she said and stopped to think, "by six marbles." She leaned forward to move six over but her bosom got in the way, so she rose to her feet and clumsily, without thinking, leaned over Worthing to get them.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #18
(Ser) Worthing Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"That was an eloquent explanation, Lady Tyana, truly." He smiled, it was somehow more dangerous than his usual grin. Her sweet tone was the hint. Smart women with sweet tones did things... He wasn't certain what, but the fact remained.

Raisa leaning over him was... distracting. The scent of her perfume would have been enough, but the evident cleavage was too close for ... comfort. Yes, it wasn't comfortable. Oh right. This was why you didn't play cards with women. He had forgotten. He covered a faked cough. "Unn... I match." Worthing loosened his collar and reached for the marbles.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
(Lady) Tyana Solvitreo
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Whether Tyana was surprised that there were no follow up questions was not expressed as she watched Raisa attempt to raise by six which actually meant that she was matching two and raising by four, but it was good enough.

She smiled back at Worthing and replied, "I am glad to assist." She wondered at his current expression, but had no time to dwell upon it as she noticed Raisa current action wondering if the King's mistress was currently Worthing's as well. Of course, Worthing's reaction to her was awkward and the smile from before was lost.

It was her turn to decide what to do next. Fold and it was up to Worthing to bluff as Raisa's act of raising meant that she believed his mention of having a good hand. What to do...what to do? She eyed both for a moment as if gauging their reactions. Then she gave Worthing a bit of a smirk as she placed her cards face down, "I fold."

Having folded, if Worthing folds as well, Raisa would end up with the pot by default. However, if he wanted to try to bluff, it would be easy enough to do except Raisa might not get it not quite understanding the rules or the nuances with the game that was being played. The baton was offered back to Worthing on how he wished to proceed.

Tags
raisa verrun, tyana solvitreo, worthing wolfe