Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Tal Volorro

Tal Volorro The capital city, first of the Asseryan consuls and now of House Vellfyre. Tal Volorro is both a magnificent feat of Asseryan engineering and a convoluted maze of narrow streets and dark alleys that has grown rapidly and unplanned since Kadreth's War.
1M A331 GAME EVENT
Further Information . Tor Vellesca

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
(Lord Treasurer) Warrick Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default 4.05.331 (outside of Volorro) | Because I'm Damned Happy | Warrick, Ziamara [closed]

He hadn't bothered with too much ceremony. The summons arrived and Warrick, who had been in the midst of instructing one of the more incompetent clerks, wasted very little time in delegating the rest of the days work to the others. He didn't give much thought to his appearance which he assumed was looking more and more haggard since the king left... But such was typical for this time of the year. His beard was not long... but it was not so trimmed as it might have normally been. His hair had the look of a man who simply combed it with his fingers. He wore all black which was also typical, and he supposed that posed quite the image as he rode up on the camp, galloping up on Shadowless, his large, black horse.

He was shown to Ziamara's tent, announced, and he greeted her with a bow before standing to his full height and taking in the sight of her. There seemed to be something behind his honey-brown eyes that might have been relief though it might have been just happiness to see somebody who was not a clerk in the treasury... Either way, there was no denying that he was pleased to see her even in some small measure.

"I apologize if you were kept waiting, your highness," he began, his voice a little rougher than usual. He'd only just recovered from a light illness. "You are looking lovely as ever. You had safe travels?"
Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
(Princess) Ziamara Fairchild
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

As was the way in such things, Ziamara's pavilion was staged for maximum show. The tent was hung with rugs as extra insulation from the spring chills, and others covered the ground cloth to make it seem less like a pavilion and more like a traveling palace. Polished furniture assembled, there was a small table, chairs, and in one corner a bed draped with damask. Vellfyre red and Ziamara's favorite shades of blue decorated most of the interior, though the hangings depicted various tales and legends of Old Asserya and Kadreth's War.

Ziamara herself wore a gown of pink with white sleeves and pearls sewn around the wide neckline. The skirts of it were fanned out around her legs on the low chair she occupied. Her golden hair was partly gathered up and held in pins of pearls and white silk ribbons. It was not quite a formal look but a golden band set with opals graced her brow. A king's daughter, not merely a lady wishing her friend a good day.

She nodded to Warrick in greeting and gave him a worried smile. "My thanks for coming so swiftly, Lord Treasurer. I well know your time is precious in this turn of the year- my father wishes me to relay his utmost gratitude for the service you bear him in these difficult days. My traveling was safe, if muddy. I'm glad the gods did not delay me further, for this task is grievous enough."

Zee paused. "Warrick... I am not certain my father's letters reached you as I have had none from him since the day I left his side... and I pray you know the dark burden I bear hence... Your cousin Worthing fell in the melee and did not recover from his wounds. I am taking his body back to his kin... your kin."
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He didn't move or even blink as she spoke. His eyes hardened a little, but that was about all that changed until she finished speaking. It took him a moment more and he looked away from her towards the corner of the tent but his attention wasn't focused on anything in particular.

"I received the news not long ago," Warrick said. "And I sent the letter to Blacktide..." He slowly returned his eyes to hers. "If you would not mind... would you tell how it happened?"
Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Ziamara bowed her head in acknowledgment of his grief. "Worthing was on the tourney field. His right greave broke at the strap..." She trailed off and took a breath before she finished the account. Melees were at best barely-organized chaos, and there was some debate about which wound caused the death: a broken leg or the gash on his side. Ziamara was mostly convinced the broken leg happened after he fell, when men were crushing together to get at the opposing team's fortification.

She met Warrick's gaze again. "I wish I could tell you some better tale. I have often begged father to cease the melees but you know his feelings on that matter. I am sorry for your loss, Warrick. He was a good man and a true champion."
Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Warrick listened without expression, not once entertaining the thought of interruption. Only once did he look up as if in thought the way one might when considering the answer to a difficult riddle. But then his eyes returned to hers, his shoulders lifting and returning with his deep breath.

"My father used to tell me when I was younger... Once is an accident and twice is a pattern. The second Wolfe to die within the span of less than a half-year..." His eyes were sharp as he crossed his arms across his broad chest.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Once was plague, the second a tourney," Ziamara countered with a sigh. "Whether or not the gods are sending a message, I cannot say. But fevers and melees rarely choose their victims with logic." She tilted her head and raised a brow. "Has some matter of House Wolfe been drawing the ire of the gods, my lord?"
Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"The ire of somebody anyway..." Warrick said. "At least... some might see it that way. Whitney's death was a tragedy... Worthing's... Well, that's just unfortunate. But there's not a man who enters into a melee in ignorance... All know well it may be among the last things they do... A reasonable person would see this as a mere if terrible coincidence..."
Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"And you are not a reasonable person...? That does not sound like you, Warrick. I've known you all my life and very rarely seen you be anything but reasonable, even in the midst of a brawl."
Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"And I have known you all of your life, your highness... And I would wager that you know me well enough to judge me correctly. You are right... I regret I was not closer to Worthing before his passing, but I no more believe he was slain by schemes than I believe in fairies... But there are others, princess, that will not see it that way. And it is to them that I am referring... And as I have known you all of your life... I do not think I am wrong when I guess you know exactly who I am talking about."
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #10
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Your eldest brother?" she guessed. "But perhaps he will see it otherwise. If he has some troublesome vassal to blame, that is his prerogative. I am charged with bringing Worthing home."
Old 10-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Perhaps he might," Warrick said with a single, slow nod. "But likely he will not... And I do not know that he would take out his frustration, or place his blame, on a troublesome vassal... And I don't think you completely suspect that will be the case either..." He sighed and shook his head, but so very slightly. "You know what you might be facing, princess... You need not pretend that you do not... We both know it..."
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"We both may know many things, Warrick." Ziamara gestured to the chair across from her. "Rest yourself before you go back into the city. After all, one of the things you know is that I am never your enemy and always your friend. Save when you counsel my father not to increase my allowance." She smiled.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He looked at the chair, remaining still for a few seconds longer, and then he moved to go sit. The last did finally get a smile from Warrick, and as he sat, he looked across at her, the expression of humor fading quickly into something else. It was not often that Warrick looked worried... But right now, such was the case. "Would you object to a friend going with you to Blacktide, then?" he asked.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Of course not," she said with another smile. "I would welcome it. As it stands... I think this may be the loneliest journey I've ever taken." Her eyes turned down to her lap and she sighed. "I am truly sorry. Worthing was a brilliant knight and a valued part of my aunt's house. I already miss him."
Old 10-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #15
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Then I must insist," he said, leaning forward. "Many will. Worthing was a good man. He enjoyed life in a way I couldn't understand... And while his life ended well before it ought to have, his years were full." It was his turn to sigh, then. "I'm curious... as to what you plan to do if my brother is not so understanding?"
Old 10-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #16
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"What can I do?" Ziamara shrugged. "Speak with him. Pledge my father's support. And if need be, wait in his court until our king sails northward."
Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #17
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"And... if he is less than hospitable?" he asked. "If waiting is not an option? This is my point, your highness... That you must have a plan."
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #18
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I don't understand your question, Warrick." Ziamara's head tilted and confusion clouded her brow. "If your brother wishes me gone from his sight, I will not impose on his hospitality. I can always await my father in Summerhall."
Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #19
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I think you do," Warrick said meaningfully. "If he sees in the shadows a Vellfyre attempt to punish House Wolfe for the riots..." He stopped himself and shook his head. "It is no matter... I'll be going with you. Whatever happens... I will be sure you are safe, princess."
Old 10-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #20
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She smiled at him again. "Thank you, my lord. I welcome your presence and your sword though I will pray your brother is not so unsettled by phantoms as you think. If he should be... then I will find my way out of Blacktide, one way or another."
Old 10-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #21
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I don't doubt it..." he said softly. "And... I pray you are right... And that perhaps I am the one seeing shadows now... I realize it may be that I'm overly worried... I have, one by one, watched and heard as those I've cared about have been wounded or taken from me... I'll be damned if that happens to you... Especially when I'm in a position to serve as an extra sword."
Old 10-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #22
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Her eyes warmed and she reached across to touch his wrist. "Warrick... I am sorry. You still haven't heard from Shiera, have you?"
Old 10-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #23
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Warrick didn't even try to hide the pain that became evident in his eyes. His answer came before he even spoke the words. "I've written... But I've had no response... And I understand... I know why. But... I miss her. I miss her and I can't help but wonder..." He stopped and bowed his head, looking away from her. "After everything she's been through, is it too much to hope that she would still care for me?"
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #24
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Ziamara's hand tightened on his wrist for a moment to try to reassure him. "I don't believe it's a matter of caring, Warrick. I imagine she cares as much for you as she ever did... but expressing it and... letting herself feel anything... might be the difficulty. To feel anything at all after being--being hurt like that, is it's own manner of agony." Her voice trembled slightly as she tried to explain and she withdrew her hand.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #25
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I must seem selfish," he spoke in a shame-filled voice. "I realize that I could not begin to understand the agony she's suffering... I just wish I could be there to help her... Even though I know that is not what she wants, that is what I wish. And I would wait for her... but I also know that it is not my choice... And that is my fear... That when she returns, the choice may have already been decided for me..."
Old 10-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #26
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"You fear loss. There is nothing selfish in that, Warrick: it would be a loss for her as well as you, and one more pain for her to endure." Ziamara's eyes fixed on his gaze. "I know my cousin well, and her heart is not so easily changed."
Old 10-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #27
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"It is the heart that suffers most, but so often, it is out of our hands... I just hope I do not cause her more pain... But what happens now, I have no say... No control. I could not protect her... But I can protect you."
Old 10-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #28
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She nodded though her eyes betrayed her troubled thoughts. "William is in residence at Blacktide still, isn't he?"
Old 10-08-2015, 12:59 AM   #29
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Warrick was tempted to reach for her hand then, but he knew better than to take such liberties with a princess. "He is, yes. I will send a rider ahead with a message for him to let him know we are on our way before we leave. He'll have a better idea of our brother's mood..."
Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #30
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She smiled again. "You always think of everything. Thank you, Warrick. Have your messenger stop by the camp before he rides for Blacktide? I would like to send a note to William as well. It's been far too long since I've seen him." Ziamara laughed. "Though I'm sure I don't miss him half so much as you."
Closed Thread

Tags
warrick wolfe, ziamara fairchild