Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Delving

Delving Almost 3,000 people reside in the lord's seat, ruled by House Seyfert. Delving is the closest town to the northern mountains and saw its share of grief in the Border Wars. The lords here have maintained closer ties to their western neighbors across the border, and to Westridge than other houses of the 'Reach.

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)
Default 3.25.331 (During the Feast) | Step By Step | Natalia, Adan (ask to join)

She'd been good. She was a Seyfert and the feast was hosted by her family... So she had to be genial and gracious. Dance after dance. Her feet hurt, but she wasn't one who shied away from pain. Especially not for something so silly as pinched toes. She paused only to drink some wine here and there, but she was sure to grant every dance that was asked of her... and even made a few overtures herself.

And every time she thought she was done and could rest... she saw somebody else she hadn't spoken with yet.

Such as this moment. She had just taken a seat and emptied her cup. Her fingers brushed some loose hair behind her ear, and her feet were beginning to tingle from the relief... But then she stood up again and walked around the table, approaching a familiar man. However, even in his familiarity, she had rarely ever spoken with him. He was a Vayth, after all... But now...? She saw no reason to continue to feud on her father's behalf.

"My Lord Adan," Natalia said, giving him a sweet smile as she dipped a polite curtsy. "It would seem you are finally free? I know this is unusual for the lady to ask, but would my lord honor me with a dance?"
Old 09-14-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Adan was leaned back in the chair, the front to legs off the ground but never in any danger of crashing considering his long legs more then made up the difference. He'd laughed and smiled, danced with a few ladies, and let the reality of how close he'd come to being up there with Lady Elinor hit him. By Gods, I am a lucky man! Slanting a cool gaze up to his nephew and his new bride and almost frowned. She looked uncomfortable, miserable, and decidedly dutiful. If she was like a normal Vellfyre, Rhaegar would have his hands full with that one once she got tired to being miserable and uncomfortable. Maybe it was the stubborn set of her jaw.

His attention turned back to his comrades as he laughed again, lifting the wine glass to his lips and taking a deep sip.

"Lady Natalia." Seyfert. In a smooth movement that didn't denote his age, he set the chair back down and rocked to his feet in lithe gracefulness. He offered her a bow, straightening back to his lengthy frame to it's full height. "It would appear you are the one finally free...and of course I'd be honored to dance with you." Offering her his arm to steer her away from his slightly more intoxicated comrades, "You have been the picture of perfection this evening."

Glancing down at her, his thin lips quirked, "Do you enjoy dancing as much as you've danced tonight? Or are you simply trying to put your best foot forward?" Deliberately looking down at her feet, he let out a small teasing whistle, "Nice feet they are too..."
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"So my lord has been watching me?" she asked, though she did not seem at all bothered by it. Quite the opposite.

"What is life but a dance? And what is a dance for if not to be enjoyed?" She looked down at her feet. "They do hurt a bit... But it is the price one must pay for enjoyment, it would seem."
Old 09-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I might have noticed you twirl by a time or two..." He shot her a grin, and leaned in a little conspiratorially to her, "But I wasn't the only one... and I'll bet you know that."

His gaze sized her up in that moment. Shaking his head, he smiled again, "You do have a disturbingly accurate conception of life for one as young as you are. It's rather fascinating." She looked down at her feet and his gaze followed her's to them again. "Everything has a price, so long as you are willing to pay it."
Old 09-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Men's minds are filled with more than war now," she reasoned. "They're looking for pretty baubles to tack their names on and decorate their arms and their beds." If it was crass, so be it. "It's less me that they see and more what they hope I'll become. But it is not my place to say one way or another. I'm merely here to dance."

She grinned at him. "It has a price whether or not you're willing to pay it... Sometimes the choice isn't ours."
Old 09-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

The enchanting creature had successfully caused a moment of surprise to dart over his features before he threw his head back and gave a rare laugh. His lean frame shook with the laugh, the crinkles of lines on his face, denoting his age more notable for a moment. Looking back down at her, his cool gaze thoroughly amused. "Men's minds are always filled with more then war... and what is it that you think they hope you'll become?"

"You might can tell that to a younger man, Lady Natalia, but you are here to do more then dance." He shook his head, still smiling. Tilting his head again, "I'm not my brother, my lady. I don't have any grudges to hold against the Seyferts." Returning her smile, "True... true." Nodding his head, he glanced up at Rhaegar and his new bride, "We can only hope then that after pay the price those who made the choice, made the right one." Darting a glance back to her, "Do you often talk about these matters with your gentlemen?"
Old 09-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Their wife," she answered simply.

She shrugged. "I suppose it is fair for you to come to that conclusion. Sadly, I have not laid out a scheme... But if you give me time, I suppose I could create some fiction that would entertain the both of us." She chuckled. "I know you are not your brother. And I am glad you do not hold grudges. You should know that I don't either."

Natalia then looked up at him, confused. "What matters do you mean? Dancing? Or Life?"
Old 09-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Her simple answer made him smile again, it might have been the most Adan had ever smiled with a young woman in one brief conversation. "A wife...Hmmm..." Nodding his head, he tried to keep from smirking at her. "And do you not look at them and size them up as a future husband prospect?" His lips gave way to the smirk. "Don't fear, my lady, I'd wager that a great many men look at you and have other thoughts then what sort of wife you'd make on their minds."

Coming to a stop near where the other couples were dancing he paused, knowing the familiar sound of the music, also knowing if he lingered a few moments the next dance would begin. Arching a brow at her, his gaze turned from the couples dancing to look at her again. "Do you often create fiction for entertainment?" His gaze softened and he nodded his head, "Then neither of us should have a problem enjoying the next dance."

"What is life if not a dance?" He bit the inside of his cheek to keep from grinning at her again, "Life... dancing... you do have quite an interesting opinion of them and I suspect if you did share your opinions so freely I'd have heard about it before now." Adan's gaze glanced at her, "More then just a pretty face..."
Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"They are free to think that. Men's eyes were made to look. So let them look," she said, seeming completely bored by it. "They will find me apt to disappoint them in that regard."

She shook her head. "I am terrible at story telling, but I remember well stories that were told to me. Fictions already made up by greater minds and such. But if it pleases my lord, I can pretend that I invented them."

Natalia blinked up at him. "There is no accomplishment in beauty," she said at last. "There is no pride in something you did not create. No... I strive for more. Just as you've said. Something to be proud of. Something I earned... Not something that was given to me."
Old 09-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #10
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Adan's head swiveled to look down at her in amusement, "Are women's eyes not made to look too? Huh? I would have never have guessed that..." He smirked, she was so easy to tease.

"Do you often pretend you the stories?" Bringing her hand to his lips for a chaste kiss before lowering it again, "What do I care of works of fiction about people? When you get to a certain age you realize it's the same old stories just different names."

Shooting her another look, "I would beg to disagree with you there, my lady." He partially turned towards her, one hand on his hip. "I have seen many ladies blessed with beauty who would have looked much better under a tow sack. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone's standards are definitely different. You may not create what you were born with but you do have a decidedly important hand in how it is cultivated."
Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #11
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Are women not counted when people say 'man?'" she countered. "At least in a certain context."

She frowned slightly. Not at being teased. That didn't bother her so much. "No. I am content enough to not have to put myself in stories."

Her smile returned. "Then we must agree to disagree. There is no virtue in beauty. It fades. There is use in beauty, certainly, but playing it up is not different than a cheap parlor trick. There are other virtues to be held in high regard. Other skills. If all a woman has is beauty, then that woman wouldn't be very interesting."
Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Were we not talking in that certain context just then?" He arched his brows at her.

A frown marred her pretty features and he gave a sigh, "If you are content enough without putting yourself in those stories, why wouldn't I be content too?"

"Thinking that beauty fades is your first mistake, again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty to one person is not always beauty to someone else... so while it fades from one persons ideal it metamorphose into someone else's." Adan focused on the dancers, "But you are right, beauty is just one trait, a woman needs more to recommend her then that."
Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"We were," she said, wondering if he realized the contradiction. "Seems strange to quibble over semantics, though. In the end, it doesn't matter how it is interpreted. It doesn't concern me what women choose to do with their eyes."

She cast him a curious glance. "Your argument serves as yet another reason it is not a virtue to be proud of... A woman who thinks herself beautiful may be beautiful only to herself... If it is all she is and nobody beholds it...? But I don't think it is a mistake to consider beauty as a thing that fades... All beauty fades... Or it is forgotten... It is part of the natural progression of things... All things must come to an end."
Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 AM   #14
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"My meaning wasn't quite so literal, I am afraid, more loose theory." He shrugged, "Everyone has their own way of looking at these things." He offered her a smile, "You'll find I am not overly interested in anything outside of my very small realm. It's much safer in the long run to keep my opinions to myself."

Shaking his head, "I've never met a woman who thinks she herself is beautiful and no one else didn't see it either. Ladies are their harshest critics."
Old 09-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #15
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I agree," she said honestly. "Though, I don't mind sharing the little opinions," she added with a small, playful smile. "I think I'm very interested in the world outside of my own... But that's because I've not seen much of it. I think once I have, the novelty will fade and I'll be content enough with what I have."

She chuckled. "And I've met plenty who've had an inflated view of just about everything concerning themselves."
Old 09-17-2015, 02:06 AM   #16
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Returning her smile and nodding his head, "It's good for people to be more like you and less like me, however I think I am starting to get set in my ways so I doubt I'll change in that respect. I think you might be right, after the novelty fades you'll not be nearly as interested in what lies just over that horizon. Many of the soldiers I served with were that way until they discovered what was on the horizon." His words drifted and he grew pensive until she chuckled.

"How many of them had reason to be inflated?" He arched a brow, "Most women with inflated views of themselves had that idea put there by someone."
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 AM   #17
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"War is a world man would be better served never visiting... Yet, it is a world that must exist so that others may. Still... it is a sad truth what it does to the hearts and minds of men."

His brows were very expressive. "And most men could not care a whit if a woman is actually beautiful or not."
Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #18
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“And the lady is a philosopher…” Amusement showed in her light blue eyes for a moment before he glanced away and nodded in agreement. “There are some men whose only purpose is that of a battlefield. They are cut and bred of iron and steel. They only come to life when they are swinging a sword at an enemy or sitting around a campfire with their men knowing not all of them will see the sunset tomorrow.” He glanced at her, “War exists for those men, my lady.”

He smiled then, “Ah, but I am not one of those men.” He offered her a toothy grin, “I quite like a beautiful woman… they hold the same enchantment to me that a beautiful song or piece of art might hold. They are captivating and drive me to want to know more.”
Old 09-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #19
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"War exists for all men, my lord. But for some, it is their only world. They thrive in it. They thirst for it. They need it. And what becomes of those men when wars end?"

Another curious look. "Would you wish to learn more about a woman if she weren't beautiful?"
Old 09-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #20
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“Only someone who has not seen men before war would believe that war exists for all men. I can think of several entirely unsuited for war, politics, or anything other than the pomp of court life. The men who thrive on it though usually return to it, in one manner or another.” Adan answered as the song ended and dancers filed off the floor, the musicians preparing for the next song.

Casting her a glance he smiled lazily, one side of his mouth lifting on one corner. “Absolutely not. Shall we dance?”
Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #21
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Being unsuited for war does not mean it does not exist for them. War is the office of all men whether they fight in it or not. It touches all lives. Not just the lives of soldiers. It touches women and children as well. I do not need to see it to know that much is true. But I know more of war than one might assume."

Natalia nodded, but there was something definitely turning behind those golden eyes of hers. "There is value in even the most garish pieces of art... A type of beauty that can be found in it... Sometimes I think that which is not beautiful is the most interesting."
Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #22
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“You are right. War is the office of all men and women, but just because it touches the lives of everyone does not mean that it exists for them. It exists for the men that it belongs to, just as gold exists for the rich.” He scratched his chin. “The poor may know gold but it does not mean that gold exists because they know it. Gold touches the lives of everyone - the rich and the poor, but it exists for the men who know what to do with it. If you didn’t know what to do with it, it wouldn’t exist.”

He offered her his arm again to step into the center of the hall reserved for dancing. He might not have known her for very long but he’d have bet there was something brewing in that mind. She had the look of a woman plotting. He cleared his throat softly and tilted his neck trying to work the kink out of it. “We are once again back to the theory that beauty is in fact in the eye of the beholder.” Adan leaned in a little and smiled, “Perhaps I have a broad spectrum of what I consider beautiful.”
Old 09-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #23
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"How can it touch somebody's life but not exist for them? There are men who live for war, but war lives for all men. The apple of discord would no doubt find root even in men whose hearts were not made for it, for there will always be something one man has that another wants." She looked at his chin and then back at his eyes. "Gold exists because it exists. It matters not if they know it. And not all men who have gold know how to manage it... Yet, it still exists for them."

She stood across from him and made the appropriate curtsy when the music began, and then as the steps required, she lifted her hand and stepped forward. "And as beauty is so subjective, it seems a silly thing to measure a person by. I'm much more interested in what lies beneath the surface."
Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #24
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“Wanting something and knowing what to do with it when you have are entirely different things but to exist it must continue and in order to continue it must be nurtured by those who know what to do with it. Those who don’t know what to do with it, fumble around and eventually lose it. Once it’s lost… once it dies… it ceases to exist.” Adan frowned. “War will never die because there are too many men who know how to nurture it but the discussion was concerning how war didn’t exist for all men.”

His gaze held hers for a moment, “Everything touches your life, single moments will touch your life. People will touch your life but that does not mean that mean they exist for you.” This was something Adan knew deep down in his bones. He’d been touched too many times by people who existed for others.

Adan bowed and stepped toward his opposite hand raised. He gave a patient smile to Natalia, “It’s a trait of youth. Give it, oh… another forty years or so and you’ll not be nearly as interested in what lies beneath the surface. What lies beneath the surface wouldn’t lie beneath the surface if they’d wanted you to know it… People put up front what they want you to see. Why hide the good and beautiful? Most people don't.”
Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #25
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Did he even know what the discussion was about? They seemed to be going in a fruitless and endless circle. "But that's the thing... Gold doesn't cease to exist simply because you've lost it. It just means it exists in the pockets of whoever you lost it to. If it didn't exist, the fact that you didn't have it wouldn't matter. And as all are affected by war whether or not they are good at it or fight in it, it means it exists for them, too, for it is far reaching and profound in its impact. I never fought in the Northern campaign... but it was real for me because my brothers did. And it was real for our people who had to compensate for the absence of so many men."

She frowned. "There's a difference between existing and living with purpose. Somebody may not live for me... Maybe not the way I want them to... They may devote their life to somebody else... but if they didn't exist for me... then their choice wouldn't hurt so much."

Continuing the steps, her smile returned. "But that's why it's more interesting. Why invest time in a friendship with somebody who hides so much from you?"
Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #26
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He knew what the discussion was about but he wondered if she really wasn’t trying to push her thoughts onto him. “Gold. Currency would cease to exist if it was not nutured by those who knew what to do with it. War would cease to exist if there were not men who thrived on it. I am not saying that it doesn’t touch the lives of other people, Lady Natalia. And I am not saying that gold would end because you’ve lost it. I am saying that war does not exist for all men.” He frowned at her. “It is a reality and in that manner it does exist, but I am saying it does not survive because of all men.”

He returned her frown, “Not really, we all exist and we all have a purpose, sometimes we do not know the purpose and believe we are simply existing, those living with purpose have found their purpose. If you believe that their choice wouldn’t hurt so much when their were not living in the manner you wanted, and devoting their life to someone else...I would still say they do not exist for you… the pain comes from…” His frown deepened, “The pain comes from the fact that maybe at that moment in time you are existing for them.”

Adan stared at her a moment as she smiled, he sighed, “Because those are the people you don’t want to trust… I like things in the open. I want to know if someone is good or bad…arrogant… or angelic upfront. I am too old for delving into mysteries and searching for a deeper meaning to why someone does something. They do what they do and that’s their business.”
Old 09-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #27
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

That was at least a sort of middle ground. At least it didn't feel like he was putting her own thoughts on the matter down this way. "My father used to tell me that as long as men existed, there would be war. I think I believe him... but I'm not sure. I'm reaching the age, I feel, where fathers and mothers begin to seem less divine and more human. Maybe he's wrong. It's possible. Maybe I've still much more to learn about war. I'm willing to accept that, too. You have given me much to consider."

She noted his frown. "If... you do not wish to speak of this any longer, I will understand, my lord." Because now it seemed personal.

"Another excellent point. But sometimes people keep things hidden not because they're bad... But because they're scared."
Old 09-24-2015, 01:29 AM   #28
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Understanding seemed to light in his gaze and he nodded softly, “I’d say that your father is right. As long as men exist, there will be war… too many are the sort who thrive on it.” Her offered her a knowing smile that he might have given to Ziamara or Maressa. “Mmm…” He murmured, “Parents are only mere mortals, despite how their children see them sometimes. It’s a part of growing into an adult.”

He smiled softly then and shook his head, “Personal? No… I think that is another part of growing into adulthood. That first moment when we love someone and they don’t love us back and we learn that just because you love someone doesn’t mean they’ll love us too.”

Adan was surprising light on his feet, moving to the steps of the dance as well as any man could have. “Mmm.. Scared of yourself. That is a dangerous thing to be.” Giving a soft nod of his head, “But perhaps I am more jaded than I realized. If a person draws you to them, there is something there of interest… good, bad, or otherwise.”
Old 09-24-2015, 01:41 AM   #29
(Lady) Natalia Seyfert
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"It's a hard part. But necessary."

She nodded thoughtfully, careful not to misstep. For the most parts, she could do these dances in her sleep. "Love seems a dangerous thing to fall into in our world. It seems easier to not do it at all."

She did the turn the dance called for and returned to him right after. "But also humbling. And human. We all have insecurities. Whether or not we admit to them is another story. But that's the point. A lord may never confess to fearing he's not good enough for his people... A merchant may never confess to fearing he's not doing right by his family... A mother may never confess to fearing she's not doing right by her child... They may carry on with a calm confidence, but deep down it's the fear that motivates them to succeed..."
Old 09-24-2015, 02:43 AM   #30
(Ser) Adan Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Adan’s smile seemed to widen just a bit, or maybe it softened a little more, it was difficult to tell with him most times. “Now who is the jaded one.” He teased, “I didn’t realize people had control over loving or not loving.”

She made the circle, a woman closer to Adan’s age rotated to him for a moment then circled back to her partner. He shot her a thankful, but brief smile and listened, “If you dig deep enough though I suppose everyone has something they fear, or worse, something they regret that they are hiding deep inside themselves.”
Closed Thread

Tags
adan vayth, natalia seyfert