Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Kingsport

Kingsport The smaller (population 8,000) but northernmost port of the 'Reach, Kingsport's fortunes faltered and fell in the last ten years with Zaksalam cutting off the northern trade routes, but the city is recuperating with the return of trade. The town's name is from the Vellfyre summer palace which is built nearby and serves as a seat for younger sons and a place for the court to flee in case of plague in Tal Volorro.
Summerhall

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
(Lady) Melantha Solvitreo Vellfyre
demoted to extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Default 8.29 Truly, Madly, Deeply...Packing (Melantha, open to retinue)

Naturally Charlotte would alter her plans to head back to Tal Volorro. Despite Melantha and Alianor's most reasoned wisdom (or so Melantha honestly felt), the Queen's household was to be packed immediately and prepared for the journey. At least fair weather was holding out, and Melantha had consulted both her own readings and those of her favored astrologers to ensure safe travels back. She would not endanger those she was responsible for on something she had not thoroughly planned. If need be, and the portents did not speak well, she would simply instruct the ladies to alter their plans accordingly, and she would tell the amended truth to the Queen.

Either way, however, Melantha was expected to go in a timely manner. She sent her ladies off with swiftly barked commands, giving detailed directives that would intimidate lesser women. Mostly all those in her service, coupled with Alianor's ladies, had learned to be quick and efficient. Mostly.

The preparations were going well into the afternoon when Melantha deigned to take a quick respite, and allow the others to as well. A break for tea and wine was less indulgent for her than in other households; this was a time for planning and strategy. If she could work it in, she would chart another report at the same time.

Her back remained ramrod straight as she sat on her divan, holding a wineglass in one hand, and a detailed list in the other. "Too early to split off..." she was grumbling. "Our winter stock simply is not sufficient."

Last edited by Melantha Solvitreo Vellfyre; 01-19-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
(Lady) Parissa Harrowmont
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

The last bit of preparation before they rode out toward Summerhall. Parissa was already dressed for travel in a simple brown linen dress whose virtue was mostly in its delicate embroidery at the sleeves and blue silk edging at the neckline. A less-costly weave was affixed around the hem- a complimentary blue but meant to be taken off once the roads of Westridge ruined it.

She curtsied as she entered and then stood quiet to await Lady Melantha's direction.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Melantha had sent Shiera off earlier, and though she would have loved to take her time getting back to her aunt after seeing to her task, she knew Melantha would find out about it somehow, so Shiera worked as quickly as she could and returned in equal pace.

When she did make her way back to Melantha's rooms, she saw that Parissa had joined them, and Shiera envied the girl in not having had to attend any earlier than she was. Being younger - and not being related - worked quite well in Parissa's favor.

"I had those things taken to the queen's ladies," she said, dipping a brief curtsy to Melantha, but only briefly. She was too tired for anything grander, and really, it wouldn't have been appropriate, anyway.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
demoted to extra

"Mmm." Melantha's tone was noncommittal, but at least an acknowledgment. After frowning fiercely at the list in her hand, she raised her eyes and nodded to the two ladies. "Parissa, Shiera...you may sit. Fortify yourselves, if you would," she added, gesturing to the waiting carafe of sweet wine and the goblets left by one of the maids. "Our plans may have changed, but we are not weak-minded ladies, to faint at the prospect. Especially you," she slanted a look at Parissa, "if you wish to someday rule." For all that Melantha was a tough taskmaster, she wasn't cruel, and her words to Parissa were coupled with an indulgent half-smile. It was clear that if the young Harrowmont was to indeed be Queen someday, Melantha would make damn sure that she was a good one. "More work done today, in assisting Her Grace onto her journey, means less tasks for you once we prepare for ourselves."
Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #5
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Parissa's smile was a bland one and she gave a slight shrug but she made a beeline for the wine. A near miss with the Ascalon retinue as she made her way in had been more than enough to upset her nerves. She poured a cup for Shiera first and held it out for the older lady and turned her gaze to Melantha. "I'll do whatever his highness wishes for his queen to, of course." Whether that meant rule or just be interesting was still undecided in Parissa's mind. Jason had not quite explained his ideas about queenship so far, just what he wished of his princess.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Oh boy... more queen talk. Shiera went right to the wine, fully convinced she was going to need plenty of it. With a nod to Parissa in gratitude for the cup, she drank with the pleasant sensation that no matter what Melantha said to Parissa, discussions about queenship would never, ever, ever be directed at Shiera herself.

Besides, Parissa was only barely out of childhood. Who was going to let her rule? "Hopefully his highness wishes to let you have one of those little Merideen dogs, if nothing else. Did you see them, when the ambassadors were here? They were so little... So very cute."
Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
demoted to extra

"Yes, they are bred to it....the fancies of court, I suppose." Melantha's eyes returned to her list, but she continued to address them. "Long winters there....it gives leave to do two things, make merry and plot. I'm not adverse to either." She took a sip of the wine, and looked up at them, a bit assessing. Parissa was lovely, but so light, Melantha rather worried that the workload of a regent might simply wear her to nothing. And Shiera....Melantha was partial to kin, and felt that blood alone made her sturdier stuff. Still, she didn't like to make assumptions. People continually surprised her. She set her goblet down, resting the list on her lap.

"Mark you, for all that he will be King, and I adore young Jason, he will not be looking to a household. We will. His wishes are to be considered, but know where your strengths are, and where his are. Take pride in it, as well. Your skills will be needed." It was directed at them both, as Melantha well knew, just like the sea, one could never plot the course with surety. Who knows what would happen with her young ladies?

Shaking her head, slightly, she added, "Admittedly....I've always been partial to cats, anyway."
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Cats always make me sneeze," Parissa said sadly. "But I like them." She picked up her cup to sip from it and smiled over at Shiera. "I liked the dogs too but some of them seemed a bit dumb. Not very good for long winter's plotting if you can't teach them interesting tricks..."

She looked over at Melantha again. "My prince seems to be talented at whatever he sets his sights upon doing... I am sure I can manage the household of Summerhall at least. And I know well that I would have many helpers when he should take the throne. I am not concerned, my lady. Truly. It will all be many years off- the king is quite hale and bold, it seems."
Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 AM   #9
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"Oh, dumb and very difficult to train?" said Shiera, her face one of perfect serious consideration, though there was a gleam of mischief in her blue eyes. "Are we speaking of dogs or men?"
Old 01-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
demoted to extra

Melantha had raised an eyebrow at Parissa's extoling of Jason's virtues, but she withheld comment on that. It seemed that one still wore a veil of a different sort, as they would say back home. Her lips twitched as she glanced to Shiera. "Is it not often the same thing?" she asked dryly. "If you don't know that by now, you will learn."
Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Pari could not help but giggle at Shiera's jest and Melantha's answer. "But why would you train men? Aside from making them bathe more often..."
Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Shiera laughed, smothering most of it behind her hand. "Because it's up to women to teach men virtually everything. They're so helpless without women to put their lives in order... I've seen the temples, where no women live. It's entirely different from the temples that are all women."
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #13
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She considered that. "But that's also the gods' homes too... I'm sure some men somewhere are capable of ordering their lives just as well without us."
Old 01-22-2015, 12:24 AM   #14
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"They had time to practice during the war, save for the odd washerwoman or camp follower. Maybe you should ask some of them what sort of states they lived in." Shiera sipped her wine. "You could always ask the prince. Oh, but he'd tell you it was all very organized or the like... Maybe find one of those washerwomen..."
Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #15
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Her expression turned a little more thoughtful. She hadn't asked her brothers about the war- nor Jason either. In her mind it had just been like traveling with any noble entourage... perhaps a few more melees. "I suppose I ought to ask him."
Closed Thread

Tags
melantha vellfyre, parissa harrowmont