Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Kingsport

Kingsport The smaller (population 8,000) but northernmost port of the 'Reach, Kingsport's fortunes faltered and fell in the last ten years with Zaksalam cutting off the northern trade routes, but the city is recuperating with the return of trade. The town's name is from the Vellfyre summer palace which is built nearby and serves as a seat for younger sons and a place for the court to flee in case of plague in Tal Volorro.
Summerhall

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:52 AM   #31
(Lord Treasurer) Warrick Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

"Almost?" he laughed. "I never did find that comb you were looking for either... I had to steal one... Perhaps the gods were intent that the spell never happen... They knew that it wasn't needed, perhaps."

He dismounted and walked up to her, shaking his head. "No more than a squire needed to know... and that seems like it was a long while ago. I'd have to defer to you on this," he admitted. "It is nice out here. Perhaps if I see what you are looking for, I'll be able to help you better."
Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #32
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

"Perhaps just the intent was needed," she said, clearly teasing. "For you would have never known I exist otherwise. Only perhaps if Ziamara told you of me admiring you from afar... Which she might have, when she was tired of hearing me say your name every time I was asked who I found the most handsome in court."

Shiera turned her head to Warrick, smiling. They were not the only ones present in the clearing beside their horses, who had turned their heads towards the grass to peaceably graze. Rabbits lay in the thick green clover, ears perked towards the sounds of the two humans as they made their way into the grass. "The mushrooms I am looking for... they have grey-brown stalks and orange-red caps. They're no taller than..."

She reached for Warrick's hand, thumb and forefinger pinching his middle finger on his left hand. "This size. This is the tallest they will grow."
Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #33
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"And she would have... if I know the princess at all," he said with a fond sort of exasperation. "It speaks well of you that she advocates for you so passionately. I've been around court long enough to know the measure of her character... and that her true friends are certainly worthy people."

He was walking alongside her, but stopped when she reached for his hand, looking down at his middle finger and then at the fingers that were pinching it. Before she pulled away, he turned his palm to catch her, his finger tips gliding over the top of her hand to her knuckles. "I think I know the ones," he said, nodding and then turning his head to begin his search... Even if he would much rather look at her, he didn't want to make her feel awkward with such gaze... and... he had offered to help, so he might as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #34
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"She's a true friend to me," said Shiera, with warmth. "Aside from being kin, of course. She treats me like a friend, not just a relation whom she has only slim ties to."

She paused as Warrick reached for her hand, staring up at him with a mixture of interest and hesitation, as if unsure that he had reached for her because he wanted to or out of accident. Rather than ask, she turned a bashful look aside and let her eyes wander back to the forest clearing. From far away, Warrick was disarmingly handsome. Close... it was much worse.

"And... and meadowsweet is a white flower that looks terribly much like hemlock. It's difficult to tell the difference between the two, honestly. Um... clusters of white flowers, leaves shaped like dagger blades..."
Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #35
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Oh... That's good," Warrick said, nodding and putting his hands on his hips while he assumed his typical stance of leaning his weight to one foot. "Looks like hemlock. What's the worst that could happen?" he asked jokingly before he crouched down to examine some flowers at his feet. "Like these?" he asked, his fingers going beneath the petals and his head turning to look over his shoulder at her. He wouldn't pick it yet... In case it wasn't what she needed... No sense in killing the flower if he didn't have to.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #36
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"Like what?" said Shiera with a grin, rising to her feet only to move to Warrick's side, crouching beside him to inspect his find. "Oh... close, actually. This is a wild carrot, which resembles hemlock even closer than meadowsweet. They all three have these small white sprays of flowers, but the difference is that meadowsweet is a more chaotic clump, while wild carrot and hemlock are more radial. Like a sun."

She passed Warrick a bronze dagger, leather-wrapped handle pointed toward him. "However, it's... useful," she said, her grin turning coy. "The flowers are. It's too large a plant for the carrots to be any good now. The seeds of these flowers are almost always included in moon tea. I don't think Melantha would object to having her own store for her ladies and handmaids."
Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #37
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Yes... Because the more things that resemble hemlock, the better... That's my motto, anyway," he grinned, reaching for the dagger. Very carefully he cut the part they needed and then turned to her, looking around curiously. "What are we putting these in... I suspect you weren't thinking my pocket." He tilted his head and then looked down at the flower. "Interesting... And... Hmm..." He smiled. "I can see why they would be useful..."
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #38
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Shiera laughed. "You can put them in your pocket if you want to, but I brought saddlebags to carry everything back in. And I've a ball of yarn there to tie bundles together."

She plucked a frond of a curling fern, turning it over for a moment before reaching over and tickling the end of Warrick's nose with its point. "I know this is probably a little boring, but... I warned you! Perhaps next time we might do something more lively. What do you like to do for fun, Warrick Wolfe?"
Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #39
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He started to cut a few more to make some bundles, his fingers expertly working the blade even though he wasn't sure if he was cutting the flower in the right place or if he was mutilating them. He figured she would have corrected him if he was wrong, though.

"Fun? I... Like to count things... Coin, mostly. Look over facts and figures... Record incomes... profits... losses... Things of the like. So, in comparison, my lady, this is almost TOO much fun for me," he teased. "I do like to train... I also enjoy singing, to be honest. But I'm not as I was when I was younger... Taverns and such used to hold an appeal, but now I'd sooner just stay in and read... Or find a Vellfyre and see what happens. The evening is never dull when you're near Keegan."
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #40
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"My uncle is renowned throughout the whole of the kingdom for being merry," said Shiera, looking near to laughter. "I saw my first bear-baiting and cockfight because of him... neither of which I much enjoyed, but he thought they were great fun and my mother was horrified to hear that I'd been allowed to go. It's funny that they're siblings and so different... but I suppose I must be quite different from mine, except Emeralda."

She turned her head to watch Warrick cut the flowers, studying the way his hands moved. "Well... when we do this next, you can sing. And perhaps I can find some things for you to count."
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #41
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Merry? There's a word for it," he grinned. "I dare say there are many things he finds to be great fun... that most mothers would be horrified to hear of. But... I suppose that makes sense about them being different. I'm not very similar to my brothers. Not even my twin. Certainly, I know him well... but... very different."

His smile softened as did his eyes and he turned to look at her. "I have plenty to count... You needn't provide anything of the sort when next we do this... I'd much rather just enjoy the pleasure of your company... and your conversation. Though, I suppose if you wished to hear me sing, I could not deny you."
Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #42
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"I'll wish it," she said as she plunged her hand into the dirt beneath a pile of leaves, turning them over, the sharp and dry scent of their decay suddenly rising in the air along with the rustle. Bits of them, wet and brown, stuck to her riding gloves and the edges of her sleeves, but Shiera didn't seem to mind. "Ohhh.... Truffles? Here? The palace cooks will fall to their knees in thanks, or we could run back to Kingsport and sell them."

Anything else Shiera was intending to say was suddenly cut off by a rumbling far above them, distant but low and long. She turned her head upward to the canopy above with some surprise, the daylight fading as clouds began to roll in. "Oh no... That storm didn't look so close when we left camp."
Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #43
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I... know what the right answer here is... but as somebody who is in love with profit... I would strongly suggest the wrong answer..." he grinned.

He looked up as well and then back down, thinking nothing of it at first. He remembered days when they longed for rain... and when he returned to Blacktide, the first time it rained, he and so many others who had been in the North stood outside for hours just taking it in. It never bothered him... But then he heard her and remembered that it was not so with everybody. "We... can probably beat it if we head back now?" he said, with another shrug. "It's up to you if you want to try to gather more herbs... There might be a bit more time. I'm all right with whatever you decide. I don't mind getting a little rained on."
Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #44
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Shiera sighed, squinting above. "I'd prefer you not be inconvenienced," she said, a hand lifting to shield her eyes. A dirty hand. When she pulled it away from her brow, bits of wet leaves stuck to her forehead and hair. "I'd hate to go back to Melantha empty-handed, especially having brought you all the way out here... but I don't want you to have to tromp around the woods, wet, and climb back on your sogging horse all the way back to the camp."
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #45
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Warrick looked down, chuckled a bit, and then raised his eyes back up at her, moving closer to raise his hand to brush away the leaves. "It's not too cold that the rain would be a danger to either of us. If it's about me being inconvenienced, not at all. I happen to love rain. I've been known to sit out in it for hours. My father says it's good for the humors... I mean... he's obviously full of shit... but... he lived a good life, so who am I to argue?"
Old 01-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #46
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Shiera gave a wry smile, brushing her hands off on her knees as another peal of thunder in the distance rumbled through the clouds. "Who indeed?" she asked. "My father was quite used to the elements, being a sailor who loved the sea probably more than he loved being lord of Seastone. He always said that no Veracora ought to despair at the storms, considering their source... We were to never flinch nor complain about the rain, nor anything else from Merrik's hand."

She sat back on her heels, digging at another pile of leaves and searching for further of the white, costly mushrooms hiding beneath. "If you mind neither the downpour nor a very bedraggled appearance from myself, I'm content to finish gathering and return, no matter the skies."
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #47
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I also do not mind a contented Melantha. I am sure we both can agree on that..." he said with a wink, going back to cutting the flowers.

"It... seems like so long since I last took time to enjoy things like this... I spend so much of my time indoors... And I am happy to do what I am doing but... I have forgotten the joy of just appreciating the out of doors. This is real nice."
Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #48
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"I would always, always rather be outdoors," said Shiera, spreading the leaves out as she cleared them away from the wet forest floor, her hands digging as she plucked mushroom after mushroom, sorting them into a pile. "Sun or rain... I feel much closer to the gods as I wander beneath their skies, their trees, listen to their rain and wind. Cities are the domains of men, whether or not they have a patron god's attention. But in a forest or a seashore or meadow... there it is as the gods fashioned it. And that is where they most often appear."
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #49
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He watched her for a moment, just taking in her words... and then, with a smile, he sat back, not caring if his breeches got dirty or wet at this point. They weren't likely to beat the rain anyway. No sense in trying to stay dry. "You can definitely say that... But... You could also say man is how the gods fashioned them... and we... in their likeness. I think some of the gods might be drawn to this place... but I think others, particularly Thorin or Edelina... would prefer the city... After all, is it not a favorite past time to join in our affairs? To think... who among us might be gods among men."
Old 01-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #50
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"Thorin might be like to meet men in cities," Shiera agreed, scooping a handful of mushrooms out of the rich, leafy loam. All around them the forest was singing in the way it did before a storm - warning trills, croaks, buzzing, rustling, caws. The air seemed to dampen even as they sat, and the daylight dimmed even further. "To women he likes to appear when they are alone, beyond watchful eyes... but that is a matter of opportunity, I think, rather than preference."

Having plucked all the truffles she could from one spot, Shiera rose, wiping her hands against her legs and moving further away, where a yellow-winged butterfly sat serenely atop a vine of green leaves, white flowers poking their heads above the forest floor while small red fruits nestled against their stalks. "Do you like strawberries?" she called over.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #51
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I wouldn't necessarily say that," Warrick said with a shake of his head. "I'm sure if he's had moments like this and has come to know the company a woman such as yourself, I would most certainly argue that there is much to be said about preference. I wonder how many times he spent moments alone with a woman just like this... Only, those stories don't get told. It's only the times it was about opportunity."

He moved as well, a bit in the opposite direction to where there were more flowers to start cutting those as well. He turned on the balls of his feet and smirked. "I don't think I've met anybody who doesn't."
Old 01-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #52
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"I wonder if he ever has found any of his paramours interesting," Shiera mused. "Surely a few of them were. Princesses, nymphs, queens of foreign lands, daughters and wives of heroes... but so few men find women truly interesting. Maybe it is a way in which men differ from gods."

She smiled, sitting back on her heels. "Oh good," she said, holding out her hand. "Then here are a few, if you'd like them. The wild variety are very tart, much more than ones grown in fruit orchards, but I like them better for just that reason."
Old 01-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #53
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I am certain that he has," Warrick said. It stood to reason that he must have... Though, accounts did definitely tell of the sort who loved once and then fled. "Is that true?" he asked. "That few men find them interesting? I find that a hard figure to believe."

He got up and closed the distance between them, smiling and sitting down beside her to reach for a berry. "Gods... This brings back memories," he chuckled, biting into it and closing his eyes. "We... really ought to go for more rides, Shiera... I haven't felt this... at peace in a long time."
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #54
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"I've never known many men to take much of an interest in the women they know, outside of protecting them, if they're family, or being concerned with whom they marry and how many children they make." She looked a bit sad for a moment. "My father was kind to my mother, but mostly he did not know who she was, deep down. As it is for my brothers and their wives, my cousins... everyone but the smallfolk."

Her smile returned, small but hopeful. "I would like that. It won't be quite so easy back in Volorro, since you must ride longer just to get out of the city itself, but I think it might be a nice way to escape the smoke and noise. It's funny - Seastone is a giant city, too, but like Solarii it's on the sea and it seems very different from the king's seat."
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #55
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I suppose it's different for everybody. You see it especially in the common folk, though... And... with some of the nobles. My brother loved his wife... I loved mine, too. And we respected the lady of our house while she was still living. I would even go so far as to have called her a friend. Just as I call my cousin, Winona, a friend. And to look at the Vellfyres... The boys seem genuinely interested in the fairer of their kin..."

He nodded, taking another berry. "I understand that... But it's almost the opposite for me. I've spent so much time in Volorro... Between there and Summerhall... I didn't see much of the sea until I was older."
Old 01-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #56
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"I'm the fairer of their kin, too," she laughed. "But I've never been a favorite. When I was a child, Prince Bryce's son Kain seemed to be a friend, but only seemed, I think..." He'd pointedly avoided her since returning home, and hadn't spoken to her at all. She didn't want to admit that it hurt, especially when she'd spent all those years hoping...

Shiera's brows rose, but she supposed she shouldn't have been surprised. Blacktide was a seaside city, but Kingsreach was different from Southshores in the way it kept its coasts. Perhaps it was the longer coastline, or the more abundant cities on the shore in the south. She never truly had understood it. "When I am far away from the sea, I sometimes just feel like I am half of myself. Things are duller - senses, I mean. The waters have a pulse, like the great heart of Merrik, and when I am far apart from it, it seems to me that I lose some understanding of it that I cannot reclaim."

The sky rumbled again, and this time there came a pattering sound far above them on the upper branches of the canopies. The first few raindrops of the storm were falling in the silence of the thunder's momentary ebb.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 AM   #57
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He looked over at her curiously... And then the rain started. He took a bite of the berry. "I cannot say that I've ever felt anything like that... Except... maybe with my twin?" he mused. "Even when we were sent to squire... it was with Rothgar and Bryce... We were not made to spend much time separated... And now that we are separated... it is... like I'm missing half of myself..."
Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #58
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"Poor man," she said with genuine sympathy. "No twins among my siblings. I can't even begin to understand the bond you and Lord William must have. Do you think he might come to court eventually? I am sure no one would object to two Wolfes in the treasury. He has daughters, doesn't he?"
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 AM   #59
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Yes. Two of them... He may come to court... It depends on how Blacktide is doing." And their brother. "But... ere long, I will have to go home for a time... Perhaps after taxes... Just to see him and the girls."
Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #60
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"A well-deserved rest, no doubt," she said, as a raindrop made it past the leafy canopy to fall, spattering against her forehead. She glanced upward, blinking, then looked back to Warrick. "I suppose you brother is the heir to Blacktide, since Lord Wolfe has no living children. He's not so old yet, though. Your brother may be spared lordship of a city after all."

Another raindrop hit her, this time on the back of the neck, and Shiera turned her attention to gathering more of the strawberries. "You will have to give my regards to my aunt Elisa when you return to Blacktide. It's been many years since I've seen her."
Closed Thread

Tags
shiera veracora, warrick wolfe