Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Kingsport

Kingsport The smaller (population 8,000) but northernmost port of the 'Reach, Kingsport's fortunes faltered and fell in the last ten years with Zaksalam cutting off the northern trade routes, but the city is recuperating with the return of trade. The town's name is from the Vellfyre summer palace which is built nearby and serves as a seat for younger sons and a place for the court to flee in case of plague in Tal Volorro.
Summerhall

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #31
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 30 Thread(s)

"I don't dislike her... but you could never mean so little to me as that. I regret nothing of that night... except that perhaps I did not stay longer. The words I said... I meant them. The promises I made... I meant those, too. I'm interested, Winona. I've... not had as much time to seek you as I would like... but I hope you didn't take that to mean that I wasn't interested. Or that I don't love spending time with you. And I certainly don't want you to think that I don't desire you."
Old 01-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #32
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

Winona's hand trailed a lazy path over Jason's back, wandering to the dip of his spine and then outward again, a slow smile spreading over the whole of her face. "And I meant what I said, too. I don't regret it, either, and I wouldn't have resented you if you hadn't found it to your liking. I cannot be to everyone's tastes, nor would I wish to be. I don't... know much about being preferred. Evariste kept me from other men, except for when he didn't. But that was..."

She lapsed into silence, then gave a slow shrug of her left shoulder. "Punishment, I suppose."
Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #33
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Jason's palm cupped her cheek and he moved closer. "Evariste was a sorry excuse for half a man... The gods saw fit to see him punished. And it is a good thing... For if he still lived and I knew... he'd have been shown the same courtesy and kindness he gave you. He meant to keep you barred... Caged... It is the folly of men who see something beautiful. Either they wish to worship it... or capture and destroy it... To prove they can break it down. To prove their power... But he is dead. And you are not. You are here... You beat him." He leaned closer to press his lips to her forehead. "These men... they who gave us gave us scars... They thought they were beating us down... but they made us stronger, didn't they?"
Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #34
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"He had his good qualities," she said, dipping her head downward to rest her forehead beneath Jason's chin. "But being married was not one of them. He wanted to keep me entirely his, but you're right - the more he tried, the more I became my own. And you, I think.... the more you have suffered, the more you know what you are capable of enduring. That is a powerful thing to know about oneself."

She lifted her head away again, but only so she could meet his eyes, looking at Jason in silence for a long moment. "I wish I knew how to help you with your dreams."
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 AM   #35
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He smiled, though it was sad, and he leaned in again to brush his lips to hers. Once more, it was not a gesture of passion. Something else. But not demanding or insistent. "That you wish to help means so much to me," he whispered, kissing her cheek next. "You are... wonderful. For all that he put you through... the woman you became... she's incredible. I learned it's not about being unbreakable... It's about putting the pieces back together after you've been broken... Talking with you, though... it helps... I may not make it seem so... but it does. To have somebody who accepts me... and understands... You get it... Even people I fought with... bled with... they don't."
Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #36
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

Winona returned the kiss, but as gently as Jason had, driven more by some need to reciprocate affection than to entice him into anything further. "They see you as their leader," she said. "Something to be admired, because you survived and led them still. They respect you. They aren't looking for your injuries, they're seeing your strength."

Her hand at his back moved to his side. "And I see all that strength, too, but... you never led me through a war. I can see you - the man - more easily than the Lord Commander, hero of the realm."
Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #37
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Jason's hand went to her side and he closed his eyes. He moved closer to set his cheek against her shoulder. "Few people do... Even if I never led them through the war... So very few people ever see me. Just the man. They see a prince... A man who wasn't supposed to be king... but will be."
Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #38
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"They probably don't remember you dressing palace dogs up for a mock war," she said, with obvious amusement in her voice. "Or they don't remember you being kind enough to give them a box of sweets during the Holy Days. Of course, I'm not even sure if you remember doing that..."

Her hand at his back moved upward, fingers combing through his hair. "I do honor and respect you as my prince and future king, Jason. Never believe that familiarity has made me forget. But I like you this way, as well, and I hope you don't object to me keeping it in mind whenever you have to wear your serious, princely face."
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #39
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I remember," he smiled, kissing her shoulder. "And I remember the smile on your face when you opened the box. I won't ever forget it, Winona," he said, lifting his head to look at her.

"I like me this way, too. There are not many people I can... just be myself around. I promise not to object... Indeed, I will be grateful for it. And am..." he added, leaning in to kiss her forehead. "I don't think I could ever be just a prince to you... I mean... you HAVe seen me dress up palace dogs for mock war, so I think that pigeon has come and gone," he teased.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #40
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

Winona laughed, but it was a quiet bit of laughter, silencing at the end as she pressed her forehead to his, the tips of their noses touching. "I hope to keep catching you doing silly things, just so I'm freshly reminded that though you may well be my prince, you're as mortal as the rest of us. I hope so much that you can be happy, Jason. I know it may... take some time, this readjustment. But you have time. You have people who care about you, whether they see you as a friend, a brother, or a leader."
Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #41
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He closed his eyes and let her words sink in. "Ah... to catch me doing silly things, you would need to spend more time with me. Of which I am absolutely not opposed to," he said, touching her cheek. "But... not a son..." His expression turned a bit sadder and his heart did something... strange. Almost painful. He pulled her closer, seeking the comfort she provided. "I'm sorry... I... am happy. Most of the time. When I'm with my friends. My cousins. My sisters... When I'm with you. There are only moments... but it is so profound that it feels like more... I am glad that you are here... To help me put it in perspective... To think about it in a different way. You help me so much... I almost feel like it's unfair..." He opened his eyes to look at her and then gently pressed his lips to her again. "Never doubt, Winona, that I care about you. You have been a good friend to me. Not just of late... but before the war, too. I hope to be just as good to you."
Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #42
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

Winona moved closer as he pulled her there, yielding, letting him wrap himself around her and she around him with no reluctance or shyness. There was, after all, not much left to be shy about in his presence. There was a kind of ease in that, she supposed. She let him kiss her, too, her face nuzzled at his neck after. "I'd never doubt you care. I know you do. You've always been good to me, even when I was just eleven and a girl and clearly boring as girls that age are wont to be. If your father thinks you a disappointment, it is his loss to consider you so and miss the chance to be proud of someone who deserves it."
Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #43
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He was silent for a moment after that... Though there were times he took a breath as if about to speak, but then stopped himself. Finally, he slipped his arm around her fully, holding her as if he were afraid he'd sink into the ground if he let go. "I don't think he thinks of me as a disappointment..." he said at last. "I... don't think he thinks of me... His favorite son died when I was ten... And so Rollant became his next favorite... and now he's dead, too. He sees Ziamara... he sees Valencia... but me? He sees me only when has to... and never longer."
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #44
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"He deprives himself of a chance to know you better, then. It is no fault of yours that you had brothers, nor that they should have been older and his pride lay on them. I cannot... I cannot even conceive of having another child and loving he or she less than I do Warren, nor ever having a favorite between them. Perhaps he's only afraid that, like your elder brothers, he might lose you as well. He took Rollant's death very hard. There were rumors it might kill him, at the time."
Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #45
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Jason turned over onto his back, his hand going up to his hair, running through it until he touched the cushion. "I... lost sight of him... I lost sight of everybody. There was just so much to keep track of... If you stopped even for a moment in that battle... When they told me he died, I just... I couldn't even conceive of it. I was always jealous of how father loved him, but I never loved him less because of it... I looked up to him... He always protected me. Us. And... I couldn't do the same..." He closed his eyes. "Of course he took his death hard... It shouldn't have been him... Rollant was never meant to be the son who fell in battle... He was the better warrior. The better leader. The better son... Ziamara told me it was foolish to believe that my father would have mourned me less... But I still believe it... I don't think my death would have hit him as hard... Only in that he would have been inconvenienced in the matter of who would be the next king..."
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #46
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

Winona released Jason as he moved onto his back, but she remained on her side, cheek pressed into the soft velvet of the cushion below her, listening to him speak and watching his face move and change as he did.

"It was not fair that Prince Rollant fell," she said, after a moment of silence. "No more or less fair than your brother James. Nor your cousins, or you - if it would have come to that. But fell he did, and it was not your fault. No one but those who killed him. He died a warrior's death, and went to a far greener and brighter place than the one he left."

Her hand moved, coming to rest atop Jason's chest, fingers splayed over his heart. "Your father would have mourned you. All of us... and not just because of the matter of succession. There are Vellfyres aplenty for that. You're here because you are meant to be. And I am happy for that. Grateful. Relieved."
Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 AM   #47
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

His hand came up to cover her own, and his fingers threaded with hers. "I know you are right... Most of it, anyway. I want so much to believe that my father does love me... But... even if he doesn't... even if he never does... I can live with it. I can live it because I have my sisters and my friends... Because I have people like you who care... And that's more than enough."

He turned back towards her again, keeping her hand held over his heart. "Your son is lucky, Winona. To have a mother who loves him. One who is kind and smart... All the gold, all the riches, all the power one could get... It would be easily traded for what a mother can be for their child. Their protector... their advocate... Never let him lose sight of how much he means to you... Because doubt is a dark, dark thing... and it's hard to be rid of it. If he must doubt... let him doubt something else. Never your love."
Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 AM   #48
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"I love him far, far more than my own life," she said, her hand curling under Jason's touch, then seeking to thread their fingers together. "No matter what I thought of his father... it's inconsequential. My own mother has never loved me, really, and I swore to never deny my child the least bit of my affections because of it. I lost two others before him... There's no pain greater, no love fiercer that he lives and thrives now."

She was quiet for a moment, and then shook her head. "Perhaps it's different for fathers. I don't know... Mine loves me, I think, in his way. Evariste barely held Warren when he came back to recognize him. If you doubt your father loves you, then love your children someday. It cannot right the wrong against you, but it can bring some good from something so very sad."
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #49
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Mine hasn't either," Jason said to her. "But I do not wish for her love. She would have the whole court believe she is as selfless a mother as you. As devoted. But it is not true." He would leave it at that. His eyes locked with hers and he gave her a smile that held no sadness. "And with you, your son will no doubt become strong and able. I look forward to seeing the sort of man he will be. It is strange to think of it... We were all children together... and now we will get to watch each other's children grow... Time is so fleeting."

He nodded slowly. "I... have rarely spoken of my desire to be a father. I know I will strive to be better... but I am afraid, too. Afraid that my father holds me at a distance for a reason. To think of 'having' to treat a child this way... To make them wonder without being able to do anything about it... I wish to be the sort of father Bryce was to his children... He treated us all like his own. Maybe because he saw how ours treated us..."
Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #50
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"And the older you grow, the quicker time flies," she said, still smiling, but gently. "It's none so bad once you have children of your own, I've found. Seeing them grow is worth every new line on your face."

The mention of Bryce drew a nod from Winona. He'd been attentive to her as a child, but it was always Whitney who doted on her more than her husband. She supposed that had something to do with the fact that Winona was a girl - and likely, that she was a Wolfe. Bryce had obviously been more of a father figure to Jason, which also made perfect sense. "His Highness could afford to treat you like his own, I think. He knew it would never be him to send you to war someday, or arrange a marriage for you, or demand things a king has to demand of his heir. Your father... Kings, perhaps, must treat their children differently, I think. But you do have an uncle who loves you absolutely. It's not the same, but it's something."
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #51
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I hope to have some of my own soon," he said softly, smiling a little fondly. "I am told I look an awful lot like my father... He's got an awful lot of lines on his face, and yet it would seem women cannot stop throwing themselves at him. I suppose that bodes well..." he said a bit dryly.

He nodded slowly. "It... It is something, yes. Not the same... but... better than what it could have been. And... I should not complain so. There are many who have never even met their fathers... or their mothers... My situation is not so bad... I suppose I must sound like a whining, entitled brat of a prince... Now that I think about it."
Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #52
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"True," said Winona, thoughtfully, her hand moving to trace her thumb around the sides of Jason's mouth, over his brow and around his eyes. "Your father is still a splendid looking man at his age. I've seen his portrait he had painted when he was close to the age you are now and you do resemble him quite a lot. I suppose you can look forward to never having a shortage of women who want you."

Her thumb moved to lay directly atop his lips. "Shh," she whispered, though she smiled. "You are not whining. You sound like anyone whose father held him at arm's length all his life and regrets it. I'm sorry for you, Jason. You deserve far more love than you've received."
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 AM   #53
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Is it the looks or the crown?" he asked. "That's the trouble with being a Vellfyre. One of them, anyway... You never know if people like you because of who you are, or if it's because of who your great, great, great whoever was... The name... At least I don't have to wonder with you," he said, catching her wrist and turning his lips to kiss her palm.

"That's all I crave. Not attention but... knowing he's not disappointed in me. Knowing he's glad I'm home... That I'm alive... Knowing that in his own way, he loves me..."
Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 AM   #54
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"No, you don't have to worry about that with me," she said, eyes lighting as his lips touched her hand. "The crown commands me, but I am too used to your kinsmen and mine to be awed by it."

Her hand moved away from his face so she could lay her arm around him again, head at his shoulder. "No one who knows you well could do aught but love you," she said, her voice quiet. "If your father cannot say it, then it is to his sorrow. And to the benefit of whatever sons you may have. I doubt you will ever miss a chance to tell them how much they mean to you."
Old 01-15-2015, 12:40 AM   #55
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Good..." he said, his hand going to her back, his fingers moving lazily up and down her spine.

He smiled and lifted his head to kiss the top of hers. "Your words are kind, Winona. Not exactly true. I'm very easy not to like... especially if I don't like that person. But yes... my sons will know. Even if I can't keep them close... even if they must foster far from me... they will know that I love them... and that if not for the crown, I'd keep them close."
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #56
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"I am constantly astonished by people who are lovely, thoughtful individuals, who find themselves difficult to be liked. Whatever bad traits you might have - as we all have, of course - are far outweighed by your good ones. It would be much harder to hate you than love you."

She closed her eyes, rolling her shoulder contentedly as Jason's hand moved against her back. "And if your children should doubt how you feel, then I will make a point to tell them how once you told me much you loved them, long before they were born."
Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 AM   #57
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I am glad you think so. There are few people in this world who's opinion I value highly... You are one of them. If you hated me... I'd be devastated, to be honest," he said.

Jason continued the attentions on her back, his fingers not so much trailing as pressing circles along the path now, lingering where he felt tension. "Please do... Or... if anything should happen to me before they reach adulthood... Please tell them they were wanted... and they were loved... They do not yet exist, but I know that I will love them."
Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #58
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"I could never hate you," said Winona, her eyes widening for a moment. "I don't know... I cannot even begin to think what you must have to do to make me hate you. You have my trust, Jason. Always."

She nestled herself against him as his hand moved against the places on her back where her muscles were stiff. "You have my word," she murmured, lips moving to lay a kiss near his shoulder. "If ever anything happens to you, your children will know how much you wanted them, how you loved them. And even if you grow to be a very, very old man and tell them yourself all the time, I'll not neglect to remind them either. I can only hope that someone would do the same for Warren, though I fear if I should die before he can remember me, few would mention me often to him. I'm not... even sure who would raise him. Lord Berengar, no doubt, but he's past eighty. After him... Rafael... I don't know."
Old 01-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #59
(Prince) Jason Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"And you have mine," he replied.

He kissed the top of her head again. "Winona... You don't have to worry about that. Nothing will happen to you... but if anything should... Warren will know. How could I ask you to tell my children of me... and not do the same for you? If... there is no one... I will squire him or foster him here... He will be safe. Warrick is here as well as is Whitney... He will family... Your cousins... Your aunt... me."
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #60
(Lady) Winona Saherazai
demoted to extra

"Thank you," she said quietly, and her arm around Jason tightened. "As long as I'm living, I know that I am my son's best advocate and protector, but... all mothers worry, I think, what will become of their children if they die young. It's comforting to know that you'd have Warren's best interests in mind. He'd... need you. Southshores cities are not the easiest to rule."

She sighed, burying her face against Jason, feeling the stiffness of her muscles vanish beneath his hands. "I know that I'll be pressured to remarry soon. And I'll have to, for Warren's sake... He needs a father. I need someone to share the regency with when Berengar dies."
Closed Thread

Tags
jason vellfyre, winona saherazai