Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Kingsport

Kingsport The smaller (population 8,000) but northernmost port of the 'Reach, Kingsport's fortunes faltered and fell in the last ten years with Zaksalam cutting off the northern trade routes, but the city is recuperating with the return of trade. The town's name is from the Vellfyre summer palace which is built nearby and serves as a seat for younger sons and a place for the court to flee in case of plague in Tal Volorro.
Summerhall

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default 08.31.30. - Late morning - The camp - Facepalm [Zee/Ressa, ask to join]

Maressa positively bloomed since the Court's voyage began. She had always enjoyed spending time outdoors, and never saw living on the road as a hardship. She knew, of course, that she would probably not feel the same way if she had not been a rich woman travelling with the Court of Edolon, in all comfort that could possibly be obtained, but that didn't make her enjoy the trip any less.

After her morning exercise, she played instructor herself to the young ladies of Princess Ziamara's retinue, teaching them fanconry as had been agreed on. Some were more skittish than the others, but her principal student, Lady Salindra, satisfied greatly. Afterwards, Maressa broke fast, and together with Mistress Carissa, worked on a few issues that needed to be addressed in their mistress' household, now that they were living on the road, and some things could not be done the way they usually were. Once done, though, Maressa decided she could afford a break, and made her way to Princess Ziamara's personal pavilion. There had been... some rather interesting rumours circulating that morning, and she was curious to see just how much truth was in them.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
(Princess) Ziamara Fairchild
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

She ought to get up. She was going to have to get up soon to let the servants pack up and move down the road for the day but... ugh. Ziamara was burrowed under a light blanket, where she had scrambled early that morning with Carissa's assistance.

There was absolutely no way she was moving just yet. Sitting up with Shiera til she'd passed out from exhaustion, being half-carried by one of her guards from the healer to here... she was just done.

Movement alerted her to someone walking in and she groaned, rolled over and buried her head under the pillow. "Unless the Khan himself is attacking, go away."
Old 01-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I'm afraid it's only me, Your Highness," Maressa replied humorously, "But if an invasion is what you crave, it can be arranged." She took a seat and gestured to Carissa to bring some tea and food. The maid was on her way with a nod. Maressa smoothed out her skirts. "In fact, if half of what I had been hearing since I woke up this morning is true, we may even have a civil war on our hands," she added, but as serious as her words were, her tone was light and teasing.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Which civil war now?" Ziamara's muffled voice was hoarse and a bit flat as she refused to take the pillow off of her head. "If it's the Veracoras, Maressa, I hate to tell you they're always at war..."
Old 01-11-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I've never heard them warring with Wolfes until now, though," Maressa noted, hoping to lure the Princess out with hints of her last night's adventures - and Maressa knew Princess Ziamara well enough to know there definitely was an adventure in the midst of it all, "Or dragging the Vellfyre into it, for that matter."
Old 01-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #6
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Oh, Thorin's balls," she swore. A pale hand slapped against the bedclothes, then Ziamara's tousled head lifted out from under the cover and the pillow, bleary blue eyes glaring at Maressa. "Already? Shiera and I were in his tent barely a few minutes. And nothing but her falling on her head happened... honestly, I hope we have a new war soon. This court gets insufferable about a bit of fun..." Sulking, she fell back down into the covers.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:02 AM   #7
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Guards gossip worse than scullery maids," Maressa shrugged. Not Ser Mark, of course, she thought of the steadfast mountain that was currently positioned at the entrance of the tent - he slit his own throat before revealing even the smallest of his Princess' dealings, whether they be secret or not. But the rest... good Gods! "And they're very fond of embellishments, too," Maressa added, "It's been... what? Four or five hours after dawn, and I've already heard every story, from how you went to Lord Wolfe's tent to rummage through his secret documents, to threesome bedroom acrobatics gone horribly wrong."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 AM   #8
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Well..." she said somewhat mollified. "At least they're interesting ideas. Sadly, Warrick Wolfe would faint if I so much as kissed him much less appeared naked with a beautiful lady in tow to seduce him. I think he'd panic and run screaming into the night... " Zee sighed. "More's the pity but... what can one do?"
Old 01-11-2015, 02:13 AM   #9
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Hah," Maressa scoffed, "And the man calls me a statue." And while this may not be too far from the truth, at the very least the rest of those who similarly accused her did not act even worse. "Why were you and Lady Shiera in Lord Warrick's tent, anyway?" She asked the Princess just as the tea arrived, together with a tray of food and a plate of sweets. Mistress Carissa poured, and then made herself scarce, but close by to heed any orders she might be given.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:22 AM   #10
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"A dare," she said with a shrug, and yawned. "One we should have thought twice about taking, but ah well... I hope he's not too cross with me today. I'll apologize to him this evening."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #11
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"A dare," Maressa replied flatly, looking to Princess Ziamara with suspicious eyes. Honestly, after four years, the woman should've known better than to try and fib her like this. But, to each their own. "If Your Highness says so," she nodded, and picked up her cup. She took a nice, long sip of tea, relishing the fragrance and the taste... and biding a bit of time. "I am sure Lord Warrick will appreciate an apology," Maressa concluded, "And, hopefully, isn't petty enough to hold a grudge over something so small."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Mm, well, he did promise to see Shiera today so he's probably not going to begrudge me much- she's terribly charming when she wants to be. And perhaps this will at least spur her wretched brother into finding her ha husband." Ziamara spoke more cheerfully, before flopping backward onto the bed, setting off a creak of wood and ropes. "Though if he chooses to begrudge me so much he takes away some of Valencia's funding for renovating that heap of a castle, I'll laugh."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Remembering the ghastly sight of the former Fairwind family home, Maressa nodded sympathetically. "Let us pray it does not come to that," she said, "Princess Valencia is... overwrought enough as it is." Which was, more or less, her usual state of mind, but the current situation was worse that normal. Lasted longer, too. But, while Maressa understood well what it was like to be wed without wanting to, it seemed to her that the reason Princess Valencia disliked her husband with such passion was because she didn't want to like him than any particular fault on his side, which struck her as shallow and childish. Then again, she was hardly privy to every detail of the situation, so she tried not to judge. "Is that what this was all about? Forcing Lord Andreas into action?" Maressa asked.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #14
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Princess Valencia can get stuffed," Ziamara snapped. "I ought to beg Warrick on bended knee to cut off that funding. I was the one who convinced him to release it." She ignored Maressa's other question, instead sitting up and reaching for the side table where some tea had been left earlier. It was cold now but htat suited her just as well.

"My sister best remain in Kingsport. I'm likely to forget myself and knock her over the head if she doesn't."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #15
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Maressa noted the Princess' very obvious refusal to reply her earlier question, and took it as a sign of confirmation that her suspicions were probably headed in the right direction. Princess Ziamara may not always point out when she was right, but she never failed to point out when she erred.

"Sisters can be... trying," she nodded, and took another sip of tea before adding: "But, even so, I'm not sure you'd do neither of what you threaten." She thought about it for a moment, then corrected herself. "All right, perhaps you would smack her over the head. But if Lord Treasurer decided to cut her funds for one reason or another, I would not be surprised if you were amongst the first - if not the first - to ask him to reconsider that decision."
Old 01-11-2015, 03:04 AM   #16
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Ziamara's eyes narrowed. "Not this time," she said very quietly. "Valencia's told me she doesn't intend to attend Corvidum in Volorro - that her castle is more imporant, and she made some idiotic excuse that we wouldn't mourn her so."

Zee looked toward the tent door. "I think I may speak with Warrick again about it. If her gold runs out halfway through the month she'd have to come back to ask for more... or to get her jewels out of pawn." She took a drink. "Then again, maybe I should let her do as she wills. Jason will be beyond furious, and even father might deign to actually intervene with her... What do you think, Maressa?"
Old 01-11-2015, 04:02 AM   #17
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Maressa sat quietly, thinking on what she could tell Princess Ziamara. This was, indeed, a delicate situation, and she always feared steering people wrong when asked for advice. But she still mulled everything inside her head, thinking of how she would react if it were Sindra or Bryony who've behaved as Princess Valencia had. They never did, though. Maressa's sisters had their faults, but throwing temper tantrums worthy of a spoiled three-year-old never occurred to either one.

"I do not know why Princess Valencia thought herself justified to make such cruel and hurtful statements," she finally said, "But I think she might just be terrified of all the new responsibilities that have been thrust upon her. Mind you, I am not excusing her. She's being selfish and unreasonable, there's no denying that. So, yes, perhaps letting her do exactly as she pleases and then letting her deal with the consequences of her actions would be the wisest course of action. Perhaps then she might realise that neither her life nor her faith are not as bad as she has made herself believe."

Then again, Princess Valecia was a Vellfyre... "Or it might just make her dig her heels in deeper, further alienating herself from everyone, remaining convinced that it was everybody else's fault but hers," she noted unhappily, "Please, do not be offended, but members of your family can be... somewhat prone to cutting off their noses to spite their faces sometimes."
Old 01-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #18
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Oh, you've noticed?" Ziamara sighed and shoved her fingers through her tangled hair to get it off her face. "Well, the castle needs fixing. So I suppose I'll let her have the money without putting Warrick or father in the middle of it... but she hasn't once mourned Rollant. Not once..." Ziamara's voice was thick and she stopped talking, taking the tea instead.

"If Jason forgives her for missing Corvidum, I'll claw my way out of this court."
Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #19
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Well, it wasn't exactly as if the Vellfyre were shy or ashamed of that particular tendency... hell, they were proud of it. And of quite a few other things everyone else in the world would rather hide. But Vayth were no better, so she had no right to criticise, Maressa thought as she finished off her cup. Then she left her seat to fetch a comb and walked over behind Princess Ziamara.

"I will not pretend to know your sister's heart," Maressa spoke as she began to gently comb her mistress' hair, "Perhaps you are right, and she didn't mourn... and perhaps she did in her own way. When we received news of Kevan's death, I could not bring myself to show any of the pain I felt at his loss in front of others. Alone, behind closed doors..." She sighed. Gods, but what a trying time for them all that was. "Have you spoken to His Highness about this?" she asked after a small pause. If Prince Jason knew of Princess Valencia's intentions, perhaps he could influence her to change her mind.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 AM   #20
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"No," Ziamara said simply. "And I won't. Either he'd rage and scream and make her stay away out of spite... or just be hurt for that much longer. So I'll keep quiet... and whatever she decides, she decides." She fell silent and turned to let Maressa have an easier time getting to her hair.

"And then she'll have to endure his temper this spring when she comes on the progress, because that I know father will not let any of us skip..."
Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #21
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Maressa carefully untangled the lovely gold tresses of Princess Ziamara, combing wisp by wisp. "Family," she sighed, "If they aren't suffocating us with care, they're clawing our hearts out. Never a middle road with them."
Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #22
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Speaking of claws... I need to sort out Holy Day presents for my step-mother. I suppose sharpeners would be a rude gift..." Ziamara sighed ."And I should get something for Elizabeth too. Rollant might never have paid any mind to her, but she was my good-sister... and now I've got Elijah... Four months. I suppose I'll figure something out by then."
Old 01-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #23
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"A luxurious manicure set would serve the purpose just as well," Maressa chuckled, "But look far more fetching." Maressa herself had been wondering about what she could prepare for Rhaegar and Tybero. Everyone else's presents were either ready or in the making... but, then again, she knew everyone else. Her brother and nephew were not exactly a new addition, but this would be the first Holy Day they would be spending together, in two decades for Rhaegar, and ever with Tybero. She would have to think on this. "I do not know about Lady Elizabeth, but Lord Elijah should be easy," she mused, "Just make it something pretty, shiny, and pointy."
Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 AM   #24
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She shot Maressa an amused look. "So a dagger? Perhaps. Though I think... something less expected might do better. I'll just have to consider... And for Lucia, I'm going to get her a new dress for Holy Days. She's at last decided to stop dressing in ruffles, and I would like to encourage it.... what are you getting Bryony?"
Old 01-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #25
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Or a fancy sword," Maressa shrugged, "Or a spear. Something phallic. He seems like the type who'd appreciate that." She chuckled, finishing up with the combing. "Then again, you could always go in the exact opposite direction and give him a book." With the princess' hair all done, Maressa put the comb down and took her seat again. "Bryony is very fond of moonstones," she smiled, "So I've ordered a necklace be made for her. The poor jeweller must've cursed me a thousand times; I think I went through every design he had until I found the perfect one." She laughed softly, and straightened her skirts. "Other presents are in preparation as well - I had to start on them early since they'll need to travel to their intended percipients. Which only leaves Tybero and Rhaegar now, but as you've said, there's still plenty of time."
Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #26
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I'm sure Bryony would have adored it no matter what design you chose... Which reminds me of Cendrine. I think she's old enough to get a bit of jewelry now..." Ziamara bit her lip. "I think I'll give most of the retinue material for new dresses. They can pick the style. My gods, did you see the dresses your father sent with Arista?" She turned to look at Maressa. The costly silks and velvets had been far nicer what Bryony or even Maressa had first arrived with.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I know she would," Maressa smiled, "But she likes jewellery just as much as I don't and..." She paused, biting her lower lip. She always hated speaking of this, but at the very least she knew she could trust the Princess. "Save for the pieces Sindra took as her dowry, I don't think there are any more family jewels left." She knew she didn't have to explain why that was so. "So I use every opportunity to gift Bryony and Ildaria with some... lest there's something I know they'd want or need more at the time, of course," she concluded with a happy grin, "I do like to surprise them every now and then."

Maressa smirked. "Fear is a powerful motivator, is it not?" she replied, "From what Lady Ganiya wrote me, the Vikary paid heed to Sindra's warnings, so when Lady Arista became a fosterling of House Vayth, her uncles gave a few rather colourful descriptions of what will happen if he dared treat Lady Arista as his own daughter." She sighed. "In any case, I am glad she is out of his hands now," she admitted, and, again, there was no need to explain why. Her father could only be held off for so long, and if Lady Arista stayed with him for any longer, nothing good could've happened.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #28
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Fear of Vimark? I doubt that's it." Ziamara's eyes turned toward the tent door. "I know enough of Vimark's wealth to know there's none there- not after my father finished with them after the Cliffton siege. He was in a dark temper- it took my mother pleading to move him not to kill the lot of them. They've neither wealth nor men enough- and they're not in father's favor. Arista Vikary looks remarkably like bait. I only wonder what fish she's meant to catch... and whether it's your father or her cousins that are doing the dangling..."
Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 AM   #29
(Lady) Maressa Vayth
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Of Vikmark? No," Maressa agreed, "Of what might happen if they use to their advantage whatever leverage they have over him? Oh, yes. I'm still trying to find out what exactly is it, though. Lady Ganiya knows nothing, and Sindra is being awfully close-mouthed on the matter, which prompts me to believe that either it's fear that won't let her speak... or she's fully in on the scheme."

She thought of what Princess Ziamara said, and one thought did come to mind, a rumour that she could not confirm personally, but one she'd heard of people who were old enough to remember and be able to make a comparison. "I've often heard it commented that Lady Arista looks remarkably like your mother," she noted with a careful tone in her voice. If her hunch was correct, and the child truly was sent to lure the wandering eye of the King himself... well, she was hardly the first to be thrown into the thick of things by her family in such a way. But it was still a serious accusation, and she did not feel comfortable making it.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #30
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Ziamara rolled her eyes. "The same is said of me, and of my cousin Carolei. Any blond with comely looks and Vikary heritage gets the self-same remarks. Father wanted her in court so he can keep an eye on the rest of my idiot cousins. But find out what what leverage is that Vimark supposedly has. I wouldn't trust my Vimark cousins with ten pence, let alone power of any kind. That's a recipe for ruin."
Closed Thread

Tags
maressa vayth, ziamara fairchild