Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Kingsport

Kingsport The smaller (population 8,000) but northernmost port of the 'Reach, Kingsport's fortunes faltered and fell in the last ten years with Zaksalam cutting off the northern trade routes, but the city is recuperating with the return of trade. The town's name is from the Vellfyre summer palace which is built nearby and serves as a seat for younger sons and a place for the court to flee in case of plague in Tal Volorro.
Summerhall

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
(Princess) Ziamara Fairchild
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 8.30 night, @ the camp - snakes and snails and wolf tails... - Zee, Shiera (Closed)

The court was ebullient as if to make up for the leave-taking... though of course being a whole day without the Merideens was enough to make anyone dizzy with delight, and the nobles were dizzy with delight, drink, snow, and successful hunting.

Ziamara had escaped Alianor and dismissed her household, then played at dice until Shiera found her. Now the two of them and Ser Mark were slipping through the darkness. The only weight in the air was Mark's silent, leaden disapproval.

It didn't matter. There was a mission to be accomplished.

Zee's eyes were scanning the darkness as they neared their destination. "Mark, stay here. Signal if Warrick's coming..." The tents of the High Council were not guarded- the guards were at the outskirts of the camp, and most of the servants were busy drinking and trying to stay in sight of their lords. Just in case there was still a couple by Warrick's tent, she had some coins in her purse. One never knew when a bribe would buy forgetfulness. But on the whole, simply being Rothgar's daughter technically kept any door from being closed to her save by her father's or step-mother's orders... though Alianor's would hold it shut long enough for reinforcements to arrive. But none of that applied to a tent, even if that tent was a Wolfe's. Or that was the reasoning she had decided on tonight...

Ziamara looked at Shiera and pulled her grey traveling cloak over her shoulder again. "Ready...?"
Old 01-09-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Actually, Shiera had been starting to reconsider the plan to capture Warrick Wolfe's heart via his hair, and it wasn't because she found him any less appealing. She just wasn't sure if she and Ziamara were going to be able to accomplish getting into his tent without problems. Shiera most definitely liked charms and spells, but she didn't like getting into trouble.

Rather, she didn't like getting caught.

At least with Zee it wasn't going to be as easy to be punished, but still... She'd thought about telling her cousin just to completely forget the whole idea, but then Zee had gone and made actual arrangements with Ser Mark and Shiera felt bad. No one had ever gone through so much effort to help her enscorcell a man before.

She found Zee after a few long pulls of courage in the form of snow wine, and by the time she gathered the princess for their mission, she was feeling much sharper in mind but also much more nervous. "He's absolutely occupied, right?" she whispered, although there wasn't much of a need to whisper. Shiera had disguised herself with a cloak as well, but she only owned the one, and if anyone had paid attention to it then they know who she was. Luckily - for once - no one paid much attention to her.

"If he's definitely busy..." She shot a glance to the princess' sworn sword, then back to Zee. "Right. Let's see if we can find one of his combs or brushes. I don't need very much, just enough to add to the rest of the spell."
Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 AM   #3
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"OF course he's busy. He's a Wolfe and men are losing fortunes at the table. Either he's defending his or winning someone else's..." Ziamara spoke quietly too but she was hoping no one would think twice of two cloaked females going into Warrick's tent to wait for him. Hell, if it had been his twin's she knew no one would have blinked...

The pavilion Warrick had brought was not one of the great canvas-castles her father would have on the progress for prolonged camps but a simpler one- large, round, with enough room for a bed, table, war chests, armor stand. There were ground cloths strewn outside as well as lining the floor of the tent but as she stepped under the shadefly she looked at Shiera. "Any idea where he might keep it?"

She took a deep breath and shoved open the tent flap to duck inside before she got a logical thought to run. Within it was as she had expected but the wash stand by the bed did not look to hold a comb. The single, low-burning oil lamp was casting everything in odd, dancing shadows... maybe it was there?

"We'll go quietly," she whispered. "If his squire stumbles in... try to sound like a commoner. Maybe he'll think we're courtesans long enough for us to get out the back side..."
Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"You couldn't sound common if you spent ten years in a farming village with no one to talk to except pig boys and crofters," said Shiera with a tittering laugh. She peered into Warrick's tent, quieting then, just her head peeked inside before following behind Ziamara and dropping the flap behind her. It was certainly a man's space; even in this temporary state she could tell that.

"I'm just glad there's no one else in here already waiting. How embarrassing would that be?" she said, creeping quietly across the floor of the tent towards Warrick's bed and the wash stand beside it, squinting in the long shadows. "Excuse us, lady. I suppose we're just here to join the fun. How much was your going rate?"
Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Gods, why did men bring such ghastly equipment? Warrick's traveling household was well-made, sturdy... but so terribly, unimaginativley practical. No intricate carvings, little in the way of flourishes and almost no pillows. Who slept with so few cushions? It reminded her oddly of Artos...

And no blasted combs.

She laughed softly and went to the writing table to see if some vanity items had been left out there. "More likely we could just ask her where she'd told her lord husband she was and swear we'd give witness we were all three together..."
Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"He has to have a comb here somewhere. He has hair," Shiera insisted, and though the snow wine was still coursing through her blood, she began to feel just a bit sheepish. Maybe he didn't have a comb. Maybe he didn't bring one with him. Maybe this was a terrible idea.

The washstand proved fruitless, so Shiera abandoned it, her eyes unable to truly adjust to the dark with the flickering light of the oil lamp still in her vision. She bent over Warrick's bed towards his pillow, eyes squinting as she inspected it closely. "I wonder if he laid down... This is ridiculous. I can't enter a room without seemingly half of my hair falling out of my head and catching on all my clothing, and everyone else's."
Old 01-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #7
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"No, really... I'm so sick of having to brush hair off my surcoats. The girls shed worse than cats..." Ziamara answered without looking over at Shiera, as she was opening one of Warrick's trunks. "All right, if I was an idiot squire where would I think combs should go---" She frowned and then knelt to look under the camp bed. "Why can't men ever be organized? Even for half a day..." Zee muttered.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:30 AM   #8
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Seeing as how Ziamara was going through Warrick's trunks - which was maybe a bridge too far for Shiera herself, even bolstered by some liquid courage, because who knew what men packed for journeys? - Shiera knelt beside the bed and pulled back the bedding, squinting at the blankets and the sheets.

If someone had told her a month ago that she'd be pulling apart Warrick Wolfe's bed looking for a strand of hair to make him fall in love with her with the encouragement of Princess Ziamara, Shiera would have probably assumed the person saying so was entirely made. Yet here she was.

"Why can't men grow out their hair long?" she said, finding nothing. "I like Warrick's hair the way it is, but if it's this hard..."
Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 AM   #9
(Lord Treasurer) Warrick Wolfe
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

He knew the moment he saw the familiar frame standing so near to his tent... shifting this way and that as if looking for somebody... Or as if on the lookout for somebody. And dear gods above, he was far too used to growing up with Vellfyre children running around his legs that it did not take long for him to figure she was up to something... What that something was, however, was a bit harder to work out. He just hoped it was not what he suspected... or feared.

"You're terrible at this," Warrick said softly, startling Mark who wheeled around very quickly. "She's... in my tent, isn't she?" Mark grimaced. "Whyever for...?" Warrick groaned. "She's... not naked, is she?"

"I don't believe so, my lord... That..."

"Would be most unfortunate, yes..." He sighed, ran his hands through his hair, and stepped through before Mark could recover enough to try to distract him fully. If nothing else... Warrick was curious. He was quiet as he slipped in, and his eyes adjusted to the figures of two women rummaging around his... his bed?

"It's harder to manage," Warrick answered, announcing his presence more or less. "Especially when you're wearing a helm. But... I am glad you like my hair as it is, my lady." He turned his gaze to Ziamara. "Is... there something I can help you with? I swear, the you won't find the treasury in here."
Old 01-10-2015, 02:58 AM   #10
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Mark. Traitor.

Ziamara at least looked a bit abashed as she sat up, her tousled blond head appearing over the mattress to look across the way at Warrick with wide blue eyes. "Oh. There you are. Are you sure you don't have the vault keys somewhere about, my lord? I was just thinking it might be nice to buy a ship off this interesting Trimerid and didn't want to drag you away form your game..."
Old 01-10-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Ziamara was, of course, extremely good with lying. Of course she was. Of course.

Shiera on the other hand jumped to her feet and spun on her heels, and then proceeded to knock herself entirely off her feet and fall flailing backwards, tangled in Warrick's bedding, her head banging against a post in the process.

She made a quiet whining sound of pain as stars burst behind her eyes. "Keys," she repeated, helplessly, too mortified and and dazed to move.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 AM   #12
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He opened his mouth to respond to Ziamara. Mostly lecture... Fortunately, her friend spared her that... for now. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like her friend had a good time of sparing her that. "Shit..." Warrick hurried forward, amusement and curiosity gone in half a breath, and he was at the lady's side, his arm sliding beneath her shoulders to sit her up while his other hand went behind her head, fingers moving quickly but firmly to check for an open wound.

She seemed... stunned... wasn't moving much... and after a blow to the head... "Princess... Fetch a magister..." he said seriously. "My lady... it's all right. Here..." He began undoing the bedding that had tripped her up. "Can you tell me your name?" At least get her talking. See if she remembered.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:33 AM   #13
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Either Shiera was the most inspired or the most unlucky accomplice in the world... But either way, Zee leapt up to go around to Shiera, only Warrick was closer. She nodded and dashed outside to catch Mark's attention.

"Magister. Quickly. Shiera just... fell. Too much wine and she hit her head..." Mark nodded and went off to catch a couple men at arms to dispatch to Warrick's tent, and for a split second Ziamara considered abandoning her friend... but that would be rude, especially if she was hurt.

Zee walked back into the tent. "Shiera, what in the world did you drink...?"
Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 AM   #14
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Suddenly Shiera was moving and then... not moving? She blinked heavily, her ears ringing as an arm moved around behind her while someone prodded at her head. Already there was swelling just above her left temple, and she turned her face to look at Warrick - not quite understanding the question at first and not quite understanding anything.

"Zahra," she murmured, but that was... wrong. That was a name she said often... No, that was her sister. She blinked again, her voice sounding sleepy and distant. "I'm sorry... I hit my head."
Old 01-10-2015, 03:49 AM   #15
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I know," he said softly, turning back to give Ziamara a glare. It was one thing to behave this way when nobody got hurt... It was another thing entirely to drag one of your ladies into it and then result in their getting injured. And given her answer... if the magisters were not quick, he was going to have to take her to one. Until then, he was just going to have to try to help her get comfortable.

"Ziamara, light some of these lanterns. I need to be able to see better and so will the magister when he arrives." It was not like him to give orders to her. Or to any Vellfyre. But all things considered...

He reached for the cushion on his bed and set it at the small of her back to help keep her propped up, and he finally ripped the bedding away from her completely. "It's all right, Lady Shiera," he said, assuming that Ziamara was correct about her name. "Do you know where you are?"
Old 01-10-2015, 04:02 AM   #16
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

"Summerhall," said Shiera almost immediately, but that was absolutely wrong. There weren't tents in Summerhall. Her gaze was still uneven, and colors and lights were still flashing around the outside of her eyes, but they focused long enough to see the face of Warrick Wolfe looking at her.

So, she was probably dying. If the priests of Seastone hadn't taken her ability to cry from her, she might have done it, but she'd lost that in freezing water, or fire, or long vigils in the dark on marble floors, in the wind, on beaches of seashell shards... "No, Kingsport..." One of her shoes tumbled off her feet as the tangled sheets were torn away. "Forgive me, Lord Warrick. I'm... I'm fine..."
Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 AM   #17
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"There is nothing to forgive. Accidents happen. And, I'm sure you are fine, my lady," he said, gently touching the knot above her temple. "But it is better the magister check just to be sure."
Old 01-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #18
(Lady) Shiera Veracora
demoted to extra

Shiera flinched at the touch, and what had been a knot was rapid swelling into a proper goose egg. "Thank you. And your hair really is perfectly nice the way it is," she said, everything suddenly clear, her eyes direct and focus, and her voice much steadier than it had been.

And then she was falling, except she was still sitting upright, propped up on a pillow. Darkness flew up into her vision and Shiera didn't remember anything else.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Ziamara had turned away to light a few more of the lanterns but when she looked over, Shiera had swooned. The princess stilled and blinked. "Well that can't be good..."
Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #20
demoted to extra

My Mood:

He answered with a glare and then moved to get his arms under her. The magister was taking too long... So he would go to the magister's tent himself. He lifted her against him and turned. "Come with me," he said to Ziamara as he stepped out and hurried along. He wound up meeting one of the magisters on the way to the tent, and he quickly just fell into stride with Warrick. It didn't take long for him to set her down on a bed, and he backed away to let the magister get to work. Only when he was satisfied that there was nothing more he could do for the more woman, he turned back to Ziamara and motioned with his head to go outside with him.

"Now, your highness... Would you mind telling me what half-baked scheme you cooked up that was apparently worth your poor lady injuring herself for?"
Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"She wasn't injuring herself til you scared her half to death!" Ziamara said with her arms crossed. "Honestly, why in Thorin's name would I put Shiera in danger? She's one of my friends. I had no idea you'd frighten her so badly."
Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #22
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I didn't mean to!" he argued, and then very quickly realized what he'd just done. "No wait... I was perfectly justified to go into my own tent. What were you doing there?"
Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I told you that already. It's hardly my fault you terrify tipsy maidens into tripping over their own two feet," Ziamara pouted.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #24
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"That you wanted to buy a ship... from a Trimerid... and hoped to find the vault key. Princess... you seem to have forgotten I'm old and have a daughter myself... The truth? And perhaps I terrified her because you were where you shouldn't have been. And I pray nothing terrible has happened. Not just for your lady's sake. Think you the king and queen will look well at this? To say nothing of the fact that two unwed women were sneaking about in my tent... If you're not going to consider your own reputation, you could have at least considered hers."
Old 01-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #25
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"We considered it. Your reputation said you'd be out gambling at least another hour." Ziamara sighed, looked away and then down as if coming to a decision... "And if you must know. it was desperation. Shiera's terribly shy and the only way I could get her to even try flirting with you was to go along with her idea about making a love potion. Which of course required we find something of yours... do you have any idea how hard it is for a girl to try talking to you, Warrick? And you never seem to be at all serious about it. So, yes, we were where we shouldn't have been, but it was for a perfectly good reason. I didn't think you'd mind a comb going missing for a night."
Old 01-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #26
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"And yet..." He crossed his arms when she began, his expression like stone... but that... quickly crumbled. He closed his eyes and shook his head, holding his hand up to stop her, but she kept going. He had to remember that didn't work on Rothgar's kin... "Wait! Wait..." he started, taking a deep breath. "So... what you're saying is... All right, I'm lost... Start at the beginning. She... This was an attempt at... But... What...?"
Old 01-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #27
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Ziamara blinked at him, face perfectly blank. It was obvious that they'd been perfectly logical, after all. "What?"
Old 01-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #28
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Why the hells would you go through all this trouble, princess? I... have never even spoken to the girl before now... If you'd but told me she wished for a conversation, I'd have approached her myself. There was no need to endanger her reputation and, apparently, her life... I understand her believing I'm difficult to speak to, but you should have known better."
Old 01-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #29
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"You'd approach and she'd have hid behind the nearest wall." Ziamara tossed her hair over her shoulder. "And no I don't know better- you barely even talk to me," she said with a pouty set to her lips. "And if she tried talking to you alone, her reputation would've been much worse. This is a drunken lark with a guard and her friend- imagine if she'd stumbled over in your tent with just the pair of you."
Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #30
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Fortunately... there aren't many of those out here..." he pointed out. And then sighed. "I barely talk to anyone. But you tend to get more conversations than most, so I'm not exactly sure where this is coming from..." He put his fingers to his temple and rubbed a sall circle. "Princess... I would not have approached her in my tent... Dear gods, you would suppose I've courted a woman before? I do know how to talk to one without spoiling their reputation."
Closed Thread

Tags
shiera veracora, warrick wolfe, ziamara fairchild