Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Westridge > Mirrormount

Mirrormount Ruled by House Mondragon.
A dwindling city of 1,810 souls, its income is from the snow-leaves and vineyards on the slopes, and copper ore from the last mines in the area.

Mirrormount takes its name from the glorious fortress that stands incongruously just to the north, on a high bluff- the vast edifice is an odd creation. Some of its older towers feature odd spires with polished stone that still shines and shimmers in the light--a feature from a time before Asserya. Silverhall is its name, but many others call it Mirrorfell these days as the silver that once flowed into this vast holding from western mines is long gone, lost to Elonia with the final settlements of the Border Wars

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 4.13.31| Keep Calm and Carry On | Morning, Melantha [Closed]

Living in Mirrormount, Valisa was often described as a quiet child who never caused trouble and at times quick to smile and offer help to those in need. There were times, she would speak her mind when she feels the need to do so, but often times she remained silent and observant.

Ever since the King's court arrived and settled temporarily behind Silverhall's walls, Valisa was in worse state than even before their arrival. Her mother's behavior fueling the anxiety that was attempting to dig its way out of her with no one giving her the answers she desired.

Then she had the misfortune of a walk with Prince Bryce and it went downhill from there making it absolutely impossible for her to recover from. Whether she deserved any of their ire or not, Valisa endured all in silence knowing that it would not last long and that the King's court would move on soon enough and she would be able to live on as if it were a bad dream that had passed.

The night of the feast, every hope was snuffed out at the announcement that was made. She stood there wondering if she heard it wrong, but the look at her mother gave her as if she should be grateful at ruining her life while outing her out as a Vellfyre. Gods...how she hated her mother even more when before it was just more of never seeing eye to eye or even understanding her mother to this. THIS WAS UNFORGIVABLE!! WHAT MOTHER DID SUCH THINGS TO HER CHILD? Why did parents never listen? She was not some child, a widow now that had people that she loved and children she took care of. Going to Tal Volorro would mean she was set back to nothing and have to figure out how to survive that place and the sensitivities of the royal family. One family was bad enough and now a royal one. Then the penance she was doing for the prince after having mouthed off. It will never end, but she would admit that her misjudgment was her fault and hoped that she would at least be deemed useful to someone.

No amount of optimism seemed to help and the dread was staring to make her feel as if she was sinking into a bottomless pit with quicksand ready to suffocate her. While she ensured all of the packing for the Prince's household along with what needed to be fixed and replaced, she also needed to prepare for her own. Not that she had an extensive amount of belongings, but still to have to prepare all of it in an evening and a few hours of the morning.

Permission was granted to do so, and with the help of her maid, she took what she could, and decided to donate the rest. There was still a small percent left to pack away, but before she could finish up, there was a servant at her door stating that Lady Melantha wished to see her. The wife of the man who was her father wanted to see her. There was no way that she could refuse even if there was still some packing that needed to be done. Her maid was asked to continue on for everything was already arranged and given a designated space before she rose and followed the maid to where Melantha's apartment was located.

The maid opened the door and announced Valisa's arrival and the blond reluctantly stepped into the opening of the proverbial lion's den and curtsied at the lovely dark-haired woman. "My lady, thou wished to see me?" She asked, her accent was not heavy, but not entirely gone as well.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
(Lady) Melantha Solvitreo Vellfyre
demoted to extra

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

"Good, it sounds like your mother has at least been trying to teach you better speech," Melantha said first, without preamble. She was sitting on a plush chair by the window, using the early morning light to work on what looked like a letter. It was awkward as her broken arm was propped enough for her to write, very slowly. She did not look up right away as Valisa was announced, but finished another word before she set down the quill, and gestured for her maid to take away the small writing table. Around them, others were packing a last few items, and Melantha asked for them to step out for a few.

As she looked at the girl standing there, Melantha's eyes were assessing, but she did not seem angry or even displeased. "So, you're to be my daughter, now," she said, evenly. She rose from the chair, walking over so she could see Valisa more clearly. "I'm guessing from your reaction last night, and your mother's clearly gloating expression that this was a surprise to you. Had you not suspected that your father was a Vellfyre, with your coloring?" She sounded almost....sympathetic.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Valisa remained silent wishing her mother had taught her a good deal more than bettering her speech and lessening her accent. Of course, she never believed herself to be put in such a predicament as well, but that was another point entirely.

She lifted her head up to meet Melantha's gaze as she mentioned that she would now be her daughter. There was no love for her own mother for the moment, but nothing came to mind on what to say, so she remained silent. When the dark-haired woman rose, she hesitated and braced herself as if she were about to get struck. Having had her fair share of being struck by the Prince, her uncle, her mother and probably her new mother.

Her shoulders drooped as her neutral expression turned into a frown. "My mother never told me who my father was. There was always some speculation, but I never thought it to be a Vellfyre. Some Harrowmounts are also light in coloring, my lady. We all figured it was someone from the 'Ridge, or perhaps a landless knight that captured her eye while she was at court that she dallied with and was ashamed of, but had no heart to expose the child. It was my mother's secret, even from my uncle, I think."
Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
demoted to extra

"Hmm. I'll need to teach you to be more clever, Valisa. Brianda wouldn't have bettered up your manners as much as she did, especially made such efforts to change your speech, if your father was a mere 'Ridge knight." Melantha had several inches on Valisa, but she didn't loom, merely regarded her closely. "Much more clever, if you're to survive at court." Her eyes were slightly narrowed, as if thinking. "Hmm. New dresses, too, I think."

Perhaps done with her review of Valisa's looks and manner, Melantha returned to her chair, and gestured to a carafe of watered wine that was on the table. "Pour a glass for me and for yourself, then sit. I don't have much time to impart everything you'll need to know, as I've got other household duties as well." She sighed, slightly. "I hope that you'll take everything I say to heart, child, and with some fortitude. No more displays like last night, yes?" Melantha gave her a pointed look. "You're a Vellfyre now, and you'll need a backbone, first and foremost."
Old 11-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I always imagined it was just to set me apart from the rest of my kin, my lady. A way to punish me and not because of who my father was. Or at least at the time. She was angry with me for another reason just before those lessons began," she replied.

"She never trained to survive at court and allowed me free rein except for the lessons to speak well," she replied softly and looked down at the dress she wore, reworked and reborn at least four times to squeeze out all of its worth before it was turned to rags.

Valisa exhaled softly as Melantha returned to her chair and meekly followed to pour two glasses, gingerly, for the woman had manners and executed the action with a bit of grace. Melantha's glass was poured first and offered to the woman politely with both hands, then she poured herself a glass and took a seat. It looked like she wanted to cry, but she pressed her lips together and nodded. "Yes, my lady," she managed to say without it sounding too watery just before taking a small sip of wine.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
demoted to extra

Taking the glass, Melantha watched her as she settled, and sighed a little before setting her glass down. "Come now.....it's a big change, but there's no need to weep. If you are worried, do not be. I'm not going to beat you, or make your life miserable," she said, with a little exasperation. "Unless you truly do something beyond the pale, but it will help to keep quiet for the time being. How you behave and what you learn will reflect on me, and I've no desire to see you fail." She paused to take a sip of the wine. "And if it reassures you, your newly recognized father will dote on you to the extreme." That was said with a dry tone, but it still did not seem upset.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I am nine and twenty, my lady, I just figured my life was just settling down and being a widow, I can just live life as I have been living it," she said truthfully hearing Melantha's words and attempting to find some calm.

"I have already managed to fall into disfavor with Prince Bryce and he has put me in his household to work off my penance until he deems otherwise," she added trying not to sound miserable, but failing at it.

"I already feel as if I am tip toeing about barefoot where someone has smashed a glass underfoot, but I do not wish to bring any ire down upon you, my lady. I will do my best to behave and to guard my tongue and opinions." Forever... She felt as if she was already withering inside. "I have never been doted on before."
Old 11-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
demoted to extra

"It's always when we become complacent that the gods come along to shake us up," Melantha answered, not unkindly. "After all, I had not expected that my husband's natural daughter would be recognized, and promptly sent to court. So we are both out of our element, wouldn't you say?" She took another sip of the wine. They had a long day ahead, after all. "And don't hold on to any pain over His Highness finding disfavor with you. The prince has a quick temper, does not suffer fools easily, and is very traditional. This will not be the last time he finds fault, so the best thing you can do is learn from it. And you have some extra chores in the meantime.....that's not terrible. Time flies past quicker when we are busy."

Mentally doing some calculations in her head, Melantha continued, "Valisa, you won't be with me forever, although you might remain at court. Think on why the king would recognize you....a Vellfyre lady is meant to make a good alliance that will improve the family, and make no mistake, the Vellfyres are your family now. That is where your loyalty lies. You will remarry, and you'll have your own household to run." She gave Valisa a calm smile. "Depending on your husband, you might find quite a bit of freedom in that. I take it from all of this that you and your mother did not get along at all."
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

A frown still settled upon her lips, but it was one of contemplation as she listened to Melantha. "Yes, indeed," she replied gently and then fell silent. She was a quick study, but hoped it was quick enough to learn to avoid such a quick temper or just avoid him altogether. Traditional...she could do traditional...maybe. Probably best to just keep silent and answer what questions he wished answered with the minimum amount of words possible. "And now I know and hopefully can avoid further disfavor in the future."

She blinked in surprise as Melantha seemed to read a word that her mind screamed out just moments before, but kept quiet. "My mother was often times busy with her own life and duties. I was a byproduct at the time that she looked in from time to time, but now I seem to have become more of a card that needed to be played. I still do not know what my mother got out of it. Surely a deal was struck once information was exchanged and why would she wait so long to play such a hand? I could not even guess at her schemes. She is probably just happy to be done with me."
Old 11-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
demoted to extra

It was hard to get an exact bead on Valisa, as quiet and retiring as she was, but Melantha didn't worry too much about it. Shock was still probably ruling the day. "You won't spend too much time with the Prince as it is, but it's good to keep in mind always. Watch how others interact with him, mimic any courtly manners you don't already possess."

Leaving that aside, she nodded slightly as if she had already guessed. "She was holding you in reserve until it suited her purposes. She acted swiftly when she had the chance, I'll give her that." She paused, watching Valisa for a moment. "Do you find that sometimes you have a temper, or did that trait pass you by?"
Old 11-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She hoped that Melantha's words were the truth, but her advice made sense and she knew it would at least give her a page to start her lessons in survival.

Her question made her pause before she answered, "I am not prone to loud outbursts. If I get angry, I suppose I get quieter or icy until I can find a way to calm down." She looked at Melantha wondering if the question was sufficiently answered.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
demoted to extra

"Interesting. I should like to see if that holds. If so, you'll be among the very rare Vellfyres with no temper." Melantha wished she had more time to interview the girl, but she had to work with just the early morning. "Have you been informed who you will be serving as lady-in-waiting as yet? I believe you are to journey back to Tal Volorro along with my other good-daughter-to-be, Damiata. Two new daughters in one trip, a feat to be sure." Melantha followed that with a good-natured roll of her eyes. "For that matter, have you served a lady before? I will attempt to influence the choice to someone more patient if you have not."
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I would imagine that I will see and experience different trials and obstacles along the way. A person changes when faced with adversity or other some such," she replied not knowing anything anymore and just finding it would be best if she just rolled with it. She also did not mention how she wanted to actually act at the feast finding it more her style to just leave to spare everyone on her tears or harsh words.

"No, my lady. No one has told me anything quite yet. I was just making sure the Prince's house hold was packed and ready to go and my own to be completed before we set out for Tal Volorro." At least, Damiata would come with her and be there with her both adjusting to a new life.

"I served for a time under Lady Mondragon before I was wed to run my own household. Then I just assisted Freya whenever she needed assistance. I do have the proper knowledge on how to run a household, my lady and at least it is the one thing I know how to do well. I would just need to understand the personality and proclivities of the lady I need to serve, but a challenge I know a bit about managing." She hoped...
Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
demoted to extra

"Good, that saves me some trouble with further instruction. For all that you were born on the wrong side of the sheets, you had as gently an upbringing as I think the Mondragons could manage." Melantha paused, then reached and drew forth another piece of parchment and her inkwell. "Your kin are likely very glad to see you put somewhere so far from Elonians, too....I wonder if that was part of your mother's plan. I would have to give her credit in that case."

Starting to write out another missive, she continued, "Bring what you would like to Tal Volorro, no matter how seemingly insignificant. Trust me when I say you shall need small comforts when you are newly far from your childhood home. I'm sending this letter with you; pass it to the acting head of household and she will see to new things for you from my household ledger. Dresses and such." She seemed absorbed in her writing when she said offhand, "You are a widow.....is there a beloved you are leaving behind?"
Old 11-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

A small smile was seen and if she knew Melantha well enough, she would have given her a hug and a kiss upon her cheek. It was out of gratefulness and relief knowing how awkward if not humiliating a situation this was for her as it was for Valisa. Then with good sense and a calm nature, Melantha brought up something that Jacen also mentioned making her feel just a little guilty having told her mother that she hated her. Despised her for her scheming and yet here again it was to keep her safe. It made her feel worse for even with her anger and frustration taken away, there would only be fear and sadness to take its place.

Dresses and such to make her look more like a Vellfyre. She tried not to look so tragic until Melantha mentioned leaving a beloved behind. "No, my lady, no one I have the right to call such," she murmured softly.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
demoted to extra

Slanting Valisa a look as she continued to write, Melantha said, "That implies there is someone, even if you have no rights to them. But then, we rarely have the rights to a man...or woman, for that matter. Is he married then? I warn you, don't make the mistake your mother did." She finished writing, and paused to scatter sand on the letter to dry the ink. "Also, I'd like to know anything you can tell me about Damiata."
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #17
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Inwardly, her mother would not think this was a mistake at all. "I meant to say that he is no longer anything to me, my lady." He told her that he loved her and because he loved her so much he needed to send her away. She loved him so much that she was willing to stay whether it was her death or not, but it would hurt him too much if she remained just to die.

She gave a gentle smile, "Damiata is a sweet girl, quick to smile with a nice laugh. She is often overshadowed by the twins and at times seems a bit shy especially around new people. A bit of an opposite and quiet when around them and the twins finding it a lot easier for them to talk in her head. However, she is intelligent and accomplished in several skills from archery to riding. I think if kindness is offered, she will do whatever she could for you in order to please you."
Old 11-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
demoted to extra

"If he is no longer anything to you, then you should put him out of mind. Perhaps some distance will do you good, in this case. Less chances to weaken and take actions you should not." Melantha folded up the letter. "As for Damiata, it's not me she needs to please, although I'm sure it would help. I'm wondering how suited she will turn out to be for my son. He needs....and wants....someone with a backbone, but not-" she emphasized this, "-disrespectful or stubborn. Kalden, like the prince, values loyalty to house and kin. On your travels back with her, it is a good thing to mention."

It took her a moment to add a wax seal, using the signet ring on her finger. "Have you any questions for me, Valisa? As I said, I have precious little time to impart anything to you, but I will try."
Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #19
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

That is what Freya was hoping for. She nodded at Melantha's wisdom. "Yes, my lady. I think it will," she felt numb and wooden all at the same time, but outwardly she just seemed lost and slightly overwhelmed so quiet might be best.

"Yes, my lady, of course. I shall help Damiata where I can and impart your wisdom to her," she answered respectfully. However, when Melantha asked her if she had any questions, it was almost as if a dam broke and words began to run out of her mouth, "I have no idea what to expect. What to do next. I have never left my home for longer than a fortnight and I am trying not to panic. My mind is slowly getting used to the idea of being gone from this place, but...I suppose a fortnight to pack everything up for Dami and myself will be all that I need to resign myself to a different future."
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #20
demoted to extra

"Oh, so you do have a personality under all that proper speech," Melantha teased, with a faintly amused smile as Valisa flooded her with questions. "I'd be worried if you were not a little panicked. If you were not, then you wouldn't have truly been thinking about it." Taking a deep breath, Melantha continued, a bit more somberly, "What you can expect is that it will be hard, Valisa. Although you are recognized, many will not forget the circumstances of your birth. Frankly, it matters to me as well, but not in any way that would affect you. After all, you had no choice in that, and I've got other concerns. What's done is done, and you are now mine, simple as that." She stood up so she could hand Valisa the letter. "But this will also be interesting, and a bit exciting, and I think that's what you should look towards. What could you expect here, other than the same life as always? On one hand, that is reassuring, but on the other, it is quite boring. There's a lot more to the world to be seen."
Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She blushed as Melantha teased, but gave a smile in return. Her hands were in her lap as she listened to Melantha and nodded to convey that she was listening.

Valisa stood up as Melantha did and accepted the letter that was penned only moments before. The smile offered appeared braver, but inwardly, she wondered why anything that was not broken needed to be fixed. So her life would have been boring and she would only ever known of her life in Mirrormount, bandits, mayhem, brutality and the like, who needed something new and exciting?

A curtsy deep and respectful was offered, "Thank you, my lady. I hope that your progress to Tal Solarii will be safe and dry."
Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #22
demoted to extra

"If it is anything like my trip so far, it will not be either," Melantha answered, with a put-upon sigh, but she smiled kindly all the same. "But we endure. Remember that." She put her good hand on Valisa's shoulder. "When you are in Tal Volorro, I would try being friends first with Lady Elizabeth and Lady Lora. They are the nicest of Valencia's retinue, and the most likely to overlook your origins. Your father may return to Tal Volorro before I do, and that will help as well."
Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #23
Valisa Stone
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She nodded gently and attempted not to look so stricken. "Thank you again, my lady, for everything. I will do as you say and seek out Lady Elizabeth and Lady Lora upon my arrival in Tal Volorro." At the moment, she did not know how to feel about her father, but there will be still quite a bit of time to figure it out.

Valisa continued to stand there until she was properly dismissed, but she felt a little more fortified and even hopeful since her visit with Melantha. Maybe she will survive after all, endure it, as her new mother advised.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #24
demoted to extra

"Good. Go, now; we've got packing to do, both of us. And take heart, you'll be fine." Melantha dismissed her with a quick smile, although it faded after Valisa left. She actually would have preferred bringing both Valisa and Damiata with her on the rest of the trip, all the better to keep an eye on them, but they would be just as safe in Tal Volorro.

Now, she had to write to Keegan....
Closed Thread

Tags
melantha vellfyre, valisa stone