Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Delving

Delving Almost 3,000 people reside in the lord's seat, ruled by House Seyfert. Delving is the closest town to the northern mountains and saw its share of grief in the Border Wars. The lords here have maintained closer ties to their western neighbors across the border, and to Westridge than other houses of the 'Reach.

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List
Kaelyn Harrowmont

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
(Lady) Parissa Harrowmont
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default 3.27 late afternoon - cousins and cares - pari, kaelyn (open)

Jason didn't make her go to the duel. Afterward, she wondered if she ought to have gone anyway as the noontide came and went with the pages bringing word of Darres wounds and the king's pronouncements... She thought about going to see Darres right away but Varric, who'd come to let her know Jason would likely be with Lord Kyle all day, argued against it. Varric was, on the whole, quite stupid but she had to admit for once he might have a point.

Parissa sat and tried to sew instead. Well, her maids sewed and Parissa vacillated between listlessly torturing a piece of linen with her needle and picking up one of her husband's books that hadn't ended up packed away yet. It was a boring one, with accounts of battles and ways to defend against Kartheen hordes or some such nonsense. Not even one single scrap of poetry in it, though some of the pictures were interesting enough. Men on spikes and hitting each other with long spears seemed to be a theme.

She put it down again and kicked her toe through the strewing herbs on the floor. "Kessya?" she called to her maid. The woman looked up from her own sewing, her eyes caught on the figure-eight of clear floor by Parissa's feat and she tried to suppress a sigh.

"Yes, my lady?"

"Go get Kaelyn. She went to the duel. She'll have a better account than everyone else is letting on."

"Of course, my lady." Kessya rose and curtsied, then went off to find Kaelyn while Parissa sat by the window and stared at the smoke curling around the west corner of the castle- the remnants of Lord Seyfert's tower.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Kaelyn had gone back to her quarters after the duel. She picked up her sewing, but couldn't manage to make her usually clean stitches straight. She picked up a book, but her mind kept wandering. Eventually she decided to resign herself to helping the maids pack up Lady Melantha's things. She was managing to keep her mind off the blood letting that had just happened when a maid appeared at the door.

"Kessya?" Kaelyn said, stepping toward the woman. She curtsied and nodded to the other maids. "Lady Parissa requests your presence." The young lady nodded and followed Kessya to Parissa's room, entering after the maid motioned for her to come in.

"Parissa?" the blonde woman asked, walking toward her cousin and sitting across from her. "Is something wrong?" Kaelyn followed her gaze out the window and sighed, leaning back in her chair. "Other than the obvious."
Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"What obvious... Oh." Parissa shrugged. "I wanted to know how the duel went. The prince couldn't come by afterward and everyone's being absolutely awful about letting me do anything. The king only said I was confined til last night, not today. But now everyone's just packing and whispering... ugh." She made a face and let her head thunk back against the stone wall.

"Varric said Darres lost? Was it bad? What happened?"
Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

Kaelyn sighed and rubbed one of her temples. "Lord Darres is hurt, but alive," the lady began. "It wasn't a quick fight. It was long and grueling. He took a pretty bad wound to the leg after a while, but he kept fighting. A while after that he was stabbed in the shoulder. That slowed him and his leg gave out. He's hurt rather badly, but he should live. So long as his wounds are kept clean." The young lady rested against the back of her chair. "I hate duels like that. It's so unfortunate and there was no reason for it to ever happen in the first place."
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Wasn't there?" Parissa asked with a sniff. "Kyle Seyfert demanded it. That's reason enough for this place. No matter his father was a monster. This whole town's dreadful. I'm never agreeing to see it again."

She pursed her lips. "They didn't want me to go see Ty yet, even though Zara's been with her all morning. I told her she should go, and stay with her sister but... I didn't think they'd keep me away from my own lady in waiting after! Gods, it's like they just keep making up rules." She looked over at Kaelyn. "Do you think I can convince Jason to give me permission this evening?"
Old 09-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

What Kaelyn had meant was that there was no reason for the duel to have ever needed to happen. If Tyana had left well enough alone, the King would've dealt his own punishment to the previous Lord Seyfert. Instead she had to run off and decided to do whatever she wanted, just like the Solvitreos. They never seemed to think of consequences.

"I don't know if he'll let you. I imagine no one knows what she'll do, or where her head is at. I doubt the prince would feel comfortable letting you go see Lady Tyana when no one really knows where her head lies." Kaelyn sighed and shook her head. "I know I wouldn't."
Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Parissa frowned at that. "Thorin's beard, Kae!" Jason always made her feel so westron, and then sometimes... "Ty's upset and she just saw Darres duel for her. You make her sound like a... a... I don't know what. A villain."
Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

"I don't mean to, but she did go against the kings wishes," Kaelyn said. She didn't want to make Parissa angry, but she wasn't going to just tell her what she wanted to hear. "Lady Tyana decided to make herself the judge and executioner for dozens of people, which she had no right to do. If she had let the king do what was rightfully his job to do, then she would've had justice and Darres would've gone unscathed. She was impatient and didn't think of the consequences. I don't think she's a villain Pari, but she did something she had no right to do. And it ended in the deaths of so many people and it could've ended much worse if that fire had spread."
Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Parissa gave a dismissive sniff. "A bunch of mad Meerish priests and that disgusting Lord Seyfert? Who cares that they got set on fire? The king should've done it faster. He should've set this whole dreadful city alight." She huffed and got to her feet, tossing her braid over her shoulder. "Tyana did what they didn't have the guts to. And the king can beat me for saying so, but that doesn't change it."
Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

"Pari," Kaelyn said gently, standing and taking a step toward her. "It doesn't matter what they deserved, it matters who's right it was to make that decision. If you think the entire city deserves to burn, then why not start with the farmers trying to provide for their families, the peasant mothers that are nervously expecting their children and hoping they birth well, or the hungry orphans that are struggling for life in the alleyways. Did they deserve to be trapped in a room and burnt alive?" Kaelyn sighed and gently put a hand on Parissa's shoulders. "Lord Seyfert and his priests certainly deserved to be executed. But being burnt alive is a fate I would not wish on even the Zakkish that took my father. It's not execution, it's torture. Worse than any other."
Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #11
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Parissa fixed her cousin with a dark look. "It's a quicker death than father grants to traitors in his lands, and you well know it. Or were you hoping the king would hang the priests in crow cages to starve along the roadside? Wall them into the tombs as father would do to us if we defied him? And yes they deserve to burn- all of them! They let the Meerish priests in, they let them build that disgusting tower, they let people they loved be starved and freeze to death to feed twisted gods. I wouldn't weep for any of them. If you think burning is the worst death in the world, you haven't seen what a Solarii arena can inflict... or paid attention to my father's whims either."
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

"I don't necessarily agree with the way Lord Attericus executes traitors either, but it is not my place to question. Just as it was not Tyana's decision to make. Just as the people here likely had no choice to defy their lord," Kaelyn said, releasing her cousins shoulder. "If the people here rose up, they would've likely been killed, and their families killed, and anyone else would be locked in that tower. Commoners don't have the training our brothers and knights get. Perhaps their best chance at survival was to keep their heads down and survive, and hope that the king and his men would discover what was going on and put an end to it."
Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #13
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Better to die than to pray to that abomination," she snapped. "They're cowards, Kaelyn. They picked their lives over the women and men that man killed. They could've fled to the vassals, or gone to the king- but they didn't." She stepped away from Kaelyn with a cold look in her eyes. "Just the same as you, really. If you were so set against horrifying death, maybe you ought to have the stones to say something? Oh, but you won't. Because you know deep down that a traitor ought to die like that. Elonians deserve the deaths meted to them. And whatever mealy-mouth rectitudes you might be spewing today, you'd be cheering as happily as the rest of us if Elonia just ceased to be."
Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

"Yes, they deserve death, but cowardice is not a death sentence," Kaelyn said, doing her best to keep her calm. "It's our job to protect the people because they can not always protect themselves. Yes, I would love it if Elonia vanished from existence, but she won't. There's no use wishing for what can not or will not be." The young woman felt her blood rising, but she kept her expression and posture calm. "I don't believe in cruel execution, because I believe it is unnecessary. Death itself should be enough punishment. The reason I say nothing, is because it is not my place to say so."
Old 09-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #15
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Parissa's eyes rolled. "The death is a statement. No one fears a quick death, Kae. All men die. But a terrible one? That is what they'll fear. Fed to lions or torn apart by horses or cut a thousand times, or burned alive or tied to the mount and left to freeze or feed the vultures... people fear that. Honestly, cousin. I guess I'll have to take you to the arenas in the 'Shores. Maybe you'll understand the world once you've actually seen it." She tossed her hair again and turned away to go pick up Jason's book. "It's a good thing you keep quiet, really. Everyone would know how little you understand if you didn't."
Old 09-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #16
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

"Death before life is a punishment," Kaelyn said. She could not believe what she was hearing. When had her cousin grown so used to death. Did she enjoy it? The arenas in the Shores held no interest for her, and they never would. "You would stand and watch all of that, and not be affected, even in the slightest. If so then I'm not the one who understands little. Life holds value, no matter how small or tainted."
Old 09-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #17
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Death before life...?" Parissa scoffed at that, laughing. "What does that even mean? Are you just quoting something you read in a book? Aw, that's so sweet of you." She said it as patronizingly as she could, giggling again.

"Life's got meaning if the gods say so, or if you do worthy things. Otherwise, you're just fodder for the arena. I know I'm perfectly happy knowing that Adhemar's going to put any rapist or killers his court finds guilty into a ring with the wild boars or drop them into the bay for the sharks. The only good anyone will get out of their lives is the entertainment of watching their end. You'll see."
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
(Lady) Kaelyn Harrowmont
demoted to extra

Kaelyn sighed and rubbed her forehead. Her notion was a romantic one, one many did not hold to, but she believed it none the less. "Parissa, I love you very dearly. Just as I do my brothers. But I doubt we will see eye to eye on this. Though I am surprised to find you hold so little value in life." The girl shrugged and shook her head. "Maybe in a few days, when the heat has died a little, perhaps when we reach Mirrormount, feasibly by then you can see Lady Tyana. I'm sure she could use some friendly company, judging by the look on her face at the duel. But I doubt you'll be allowed near her before then."
Old 09-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Parissa's expression was cool, almost detached and she shrugged again. "The robbers who tried to kill Jon and me didn't value our lives. Those wretched men last winter who tried to murder everyone in the temples didn't even value the gods. And it was me who begged King Rothgar to give that Seyfert lady a swifter death... but seeing what her brother's done, I almost wish I'd kept bloody silent. You see, I value life a very great deal: but only a life worth valuing. If you've done nothing but steal and lie and kill, I don't see any reason to let you continue."

Her eyes rolled and she dropped back onto the window seat. "We'll see. I'll talk to Jason. Then I'll probably go talk to her anyway."
Closed Thread

Tags
kaelyn harrowmont, parissa harrowmont