Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Delving

Delving Almost 3,000 people reside in the lord's seat, ruled by House Seyfert. Delving is the closest town to the northern mountains and saw its share of grief in the Border Wars. The lords here have maintained closer ties to their western neighbors across the border, and to Westridge than other houses of the 'Reach.

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Default 3.26.331 Late Afternoon - Wine and Weaknesses (Open)

Lenore really didn't remember walking from Parissa's chambers to her own, sickness seemed to sweep over her with every step. The wine... maybe she'd drank too much of it too quickly. Everything ached, throbbed, or felt disconnected from her body. Leaning her head against her door, she closed her eyes, her hand resting on the knob. She really ought to go on inside but... ugh... she had to open the door first.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

"Lady Lenore! I---" Carolei stopped short and stared. "Lady Lenore?" She quickened her steps to reach the other woman and put a hand on Lenore's arm. "Are you ill I--Oh, gods, what happened?" The smell of wine was sharp in the air- a scent Carolei knew well from her brothers' exploits and a childhood spent among the Bromiads and Vellfyres...
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

If she’d been more herself she might have been able to mask the groan that came out of her with Carolei’s voice saying her name. She didn’t immediately open her eyes, not until Carolei was beside her touching her. Opening her dark eyes she looked at Ryam’s sister, “No, I am not ill.”

Carolei was the motivation to try and open her door that she’d been lacking only moment ago. “They locked Lady Zanara in the tower, if you hadn’t already heard. Princess Parissa, I thought, was going to politely go and speak to the king instead she all but kicked the doors down and was slapped and sentenced to her room until the mess was sorted out. I… was charged with making sure she didn’t leave again.”

Damn it! The door wasn’t opening! She wanted to growl and kick her pointy little toe at the door. She’d had problems with it since they’d gotten to Delving but why couldn’t it just open like it was suppose to when she needed it too. The urge became too much and she kicked the door. It didn’t budge. Turning around to face Carolei, she sighed. “I hate this place.” Banging her head back against the door, her stomach did another backflip.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"You and everyone else, my lady." Carolei's smile was wry. "All right, leave off assaulting the door and I'll see if I can beat it into submission. I suspect I'm a bit more fit for combat at the moment." She laughed

"So, you got to see the king in a temper again... and play nurse maid to a Harrowmont. I can see where Bromios' embrace could be alluring."
Old 09-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Lenore stared at Carolei for a long moment as if she’d grown an extra nose. Just what did she mean by that? She wasn’t ill. It hurt her head to try and think about anything to deeply so she shrugged it off trying to remember to think about it later. Stepping away from the door, she made a grand gesture at the hunk of junk, piece of crap door that was ruining her day. “It’s all yours…”

Leaning with her back against the wall, her arm resting on some sort of expensive looking vase that looked like it had seen better days before all the craziness of towers and priests. She shrugged, “I rarely get to see the King when he’s not in a temper.” Arching a brow, “Her highness, is still learning the ropes of how we do things, hardly means she needs a nurse maid.” She tried to straighten with an indignant sniff, “I am not drunk. I just haven’t eaten anything today…” The vase crashed to the floor.

Lenore stared at it a moment then hiccuped. “Okay. Maybe I am a little drunk…” She conceded.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"I grew up in Vellesca, my lady. I know drunk when I see it." She too had to resort to drawing back her foot and letting it fly against the door, then throwing her shoulder against it. The thing finally gave way with a funereal groan and dragged across the stone to reveal Lenore's chamber.

"The princess is not yet ten-and-seven and she was raised in Solarii. If anyone needs a nursemaid, she's it. I can only pray the king doesn't withdraw your assistance from her the moment she comes of age. Gods know I could have used someone at my side when I became Lady of Snakewood and I was not only older and from Volorro, I wasn't wedding a Vellfyre by any stretch."
Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“Let’s be honest… you know drunk because of your brother.” If she hadn’t had a drink or ten… the words would never have slipped from her mouth but she had and things just… well… they pop out when you’ve had a bit to drink. Crossing her arms, she looked into her room. “I don’t blame you for disliking me.” Cloying sweetness seemed to fill her voice and then more blandly she added. “If things were reversed, I’d probably want to scratch your eyes out too.”

“The princess is old enough not to need a nursemaid.” Her words were a little firmer now. “She needs time to adjust. I would highly advise you reconsider how you describe her highness.” Parissa, whether she knew it or not was a Vellfyre now… and Vellfyres stood together.

Arching her brows at what seemed like a catty threat. Lenore took a step closer, she drew to a stop in front of her door. Her voice a little quieter, and slightly slurred. “But don’t forget, darling, I am not the only one who can be replaced when the time comes.” Her gaze darted to Salome and Dahlia standing just out of sight, with a look she caused them to stay where they were and stepped inside the doorway of her room. Turning back to Carolei, Lenore blocked her doorway with one hand on her door and the other on the door jamb. She smiled. “Thank you, Lady Carolei for unjamming my door but I am sure you have better things to be doing...” It was clearly a dismissal.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Carolei's eyes rolled. "I don't dislike you. If I disliked every woman with the poor taste to bed one of my brothers, I'd hate half the 'Reach. And as for the princess... I suspect you're the one who doesn't like me, not the other way 'round, or you'd never have interpreted what I said so harshly."

Carolei only smirked. "Actually, I can't be. See, thanks to your dalliance with Ryam, I'm stuck in the royal court. I'm here to be a hostage should my brother get any brilliant ideas about defying either the king or our father. So frankly, Lady Lenore, whether I'm dismissed as Lady-of-the-Chamber or not, I'll still be residing with the prince and princess."

She tilted her head and gave a sunny smile. "I grew up with Jason. I'm Ziamara's cousin and Lady Lyenthe's niece: I don't need to prove myself. Nor to threaten you- you are threat enough to yourself as it is. You can't even tell when someone is offering you friendship anymore. Perhaps I was wrong to hope they keep you with the princess- with judgment as bleary as yours, maybe she would be better on her own."
Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #9
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Carolei spoke with a certain smugness and Lenore rolled her own eyes but let Carolei speak. She studied Carolei for a long moment then nodded her head. “What sort of reason would I have not to like you? Hmm? Don’t be silly! It wasn't you that told me, you loved me and told Luceon you loved my cousin.” She sniffed indignantly then shrugged. “Don’t confuse dislike with distrust…”

Lenore looked blandly at the other woman smirking, “Hostage? Hardly! You are simply a reminder to your brother how benevolent the family is being after his little stunt with Lady Raisa. You don’t want to see the living conditions hostages live in.”

“Have I seemed like I was judging you?” Lenore glanced sideways for a moment in thought then shook her head. “I wasn’t judging you, but you are right… I am learning it is hard to tell when someone is offering friendship anymore. There seems to be so many people willing to stab you in the back as soon as you turn it to them.” She shrugged, “So put your claws away and I’ll put mine away…” Then in an afterthought she added, “At least I am being upfront about not trusting you.”
Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #10
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Even a gilded cage is still a cage- I'd have thought someone who was stuck in Edric Sollis' bed would know that much. But yes, yes.. claws away..."

Carolei's head tilted, as courtly claw-marks were far less interesting than what Lenore had just let slip. "While you're on about not trusting me, would you mind explaining what you think Ryam said and what Luceon told you? I have the nasty feeling you've been caught up in my brothers' ineffable and perpetual cat-fights... It's rather like a riddle: one of them always tells the truth and one always lies. Based on our family history, I suspect it's a problem born anew in every generation."
Old 09-22-2015, 02:46 AM   #11
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“Despite what my husband wanted, I never saw my marriage to him as a cage. It was an opportunity, one he didn’t wish to take advantage of. We had a difference of opinions on what we wanted from our marriage.” Len sighed.

She studied Carolei for a moment, weighing her options then moved away from blocking the doorway. “If… and I do mean… If we are going to have this conversation we might has well do it in some form of privacy… not half in the door and half out. Come on inside…”

Inside Carolei would notice Salome and Dahlia still standing there eavesdropping no doubt. Lenore waved them away and motioned towards the small living space in her chambers. “Do make yourself at home, heavens knows I can’t seem to get comfortable here. Tea? I think I am going to have some, maybe it’ll sober me up a little.” Sending Salome a glance she nodded her head letting her know she definitely wanted something to bring her back to her senses.

Flopping down in chair, Lenore tucked her legs underneath her and tried to make herself comfortable. “Your brothers…” She clucked her tongue softly and shook her head. “They are a pair, aren’t they? Almost as bad as mine.” Salome brought the tea in and poured two glasses then departed. Picking up a glass she lifted it to her lips. “Despite what court says… despite even what some of my family says… your brother…” She paused cleared her throat and started again, “Let me rephrase that… neither of your brothers has not ever been one of my lovers. However, I did believe that Ryam felt something for me…”

She steadied her tea cup with her other hand and stared down into the dark amber liquid. “I admit I was in a fragile state, my marriage with Edric seemed to be forever hovering on the very brink of crumbling into tiny pieces, and I wanted to hear things… wanted to believe it. I thought it was important.” Lenore murmured then glanced up at Carolei, “He was at that time still engaged to my cousin Elinor and like a little fool, I quite believed him several times as he said he loved me. As such I did my best to defend him and deflect as much as I could off him after things turned nasty with the king over the rumors.”

Lifting the tea to her lips again she inhaled the smell letting it cleanse her senses before she took another sip. “Luceon found me a couple days later...He believed everything to have been rumors. He was quite upset with Lord Sollis…” Lenore rolled her eyes at that and sighed, “But agreed that as close as he and I were that he doubted there was any truth to the rumors. He let is slip then that Ryam had confessed to him that he was in love with his betrothed.”

Len locked her gaze on Carolei’s, “Ryam didn’t help his case further when the rumors started coming in about his propositioning other ladies, and then his stunt with Lady Raisa… does that sound like a man in love or a man grasping for whatever he can after something failed? So take your pick on who is lying and who is telling the truth... maybe you'll have better luck then I've had at trying to figure it all out. Nothing would make me happier then to know I wasn't duped.”
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

She walked in after Lenore's invitation, casting a quick glance at the maids but her attention was on the drunken Vellfyre. She did accept a cup of tea from whichever maid it was, but...

"Oh, I would say Ryam thought he was telling the truth," Carolei said after a moment of thought marked by a heavy sigh. "It's... not that you were duped. Ever since he came back from the North..." Carolei sat down, feeling heavy just remembering that dreadful time. "He cannot seem to focus. It's not just deciding that he's either in love with or hates any person standing before him at any moment... he acts dangerously, just to see if the fire will burn him. So yes, I think he loved you and I think he decided he was in love with someone else because you didn't swoon at his feet immediately, and then I know he went into Raisa's rooms after that idiotic brat Ausla just because it was stupid and dangerous. But Luceon won't say any of that, he just says 'Ryam said he loved someone else' because Luceon wants Luceon to inherit. And once upon a time, I'd have beaten him over the head for his cheek but any more... I cannot say he's wrong to want it. Ryam's not mad yet, but he will be one day."

Carolei took a sip of the tea. "You got caught up in the melee. I suggest next time you see Luceon, you aim something heavy at his skull. He should have told you the whole tale. Because the one thing I know above all others is that Ryam loving Elinor was about as likely as waking up to find the moon turned into a giant cat."
Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Staring down at her tea, she’d successfully managed to hide any emotions that she might have felt. Listening to Carolei speak about her brother made her head hurt or maybe it was just the alcohol. Taking another sip of her tea, “So you believe it’s his inability to decide what he feels that has him acting in such a way?”

“Has he told you what it was during the wars that eats at him?” Locking her gaze on Carolei, “He spoke like he was close to you… affection lingered in his voice.” A faint smile touched her lips and she added, “The way that brothers often do.” Taking a deep breath she focused on something over Carolei’s shoulder. “I don’t suppose I am really angry at him, or even Luceon for that matter. More at myself for allowing myself to be drug into whatever little skirmish those two had going on.” Lifting the tea again for another sip, “A girl has to cling to some form of pride or what does she have left?”

With a snort at the thought of chunking something heavy at Luceon’s skull she shook her head. “I don’t think that would really do any good. It would have to actually have to hit somewhere he’d hid his brains.”

She studied Carolei for a moment as she processed what Ryam’s sister said about him and Elinor. “So you believe that Ryam wasn’t in love with Elinor? Yet, I am sure you know that Elinor quite fancied herself in love with him…?” Len leaned her elbow against the chair arm, “I would have thought so too. Elinor wasn’t exactly what I would have considered a femme fatale by any means but there is something about her that seems make men love her.” The line of her mouth thinned a little, “Lord Sollis, seemed to think so anyway. I do believe he was quite enamored by her and that is saying something considering I don’t believe outside of his mother he never loved a single person other than himself. Is it so hard to picture that Elinor wasn’t exactly the sort of woman that Ryam could have loved?”
Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #14
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"As far as I can tell, Luceon and Ryam both keep their brains half down their pants." Carolei's wry smile vanished the second Lenore mentioned affection between her and Ryam.

"We were close, once. That ended a long time ago, and by his choices. There's no affection for me left in him- again with his habit of hating or loving who ever's in front of him. Last time we met, it was on the road to Volorro as I was coming to court and he leaving. We quarreled and he decided to spook my horse. I'm still not sure he didn't hope I'd be removed from his life."

She shook her head. "No. Ryam would want to fuck her- that I'd believe. Virginity makes some men hard. And what better way to dance with fire than despoiling the Vellfyre he knew perfectly well was never intended to actually wed him? That particular brand of self-immolation, he'd love well. Elinor herself? She'd have been tossed to the side before the sun rose."
Old 09-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Tilting her head to one side she frowned, “Hmmm? He didn’t speak of you as a brother does when he is irritated. In fact he rather thought I’d like you.” She murmured. “Something about a similarity in our choice of reading…” Her lips gave way then to a small smirk and she shook her head, wiping it away. “Either way, I am sorry to hear about a falling out between the two of you. I perhaps know best what that might be like. Kalden and I have our ups and downs quite often… thankfully Kellan seems to be a bit more mild tempered then either Kalden or I.”

She arched a brow, “Your brother didn’t strike me as the sort to seek virgins out to play with… Lord Sollis… yes I could believe that would give him a thrill, would even explain perhaps why he found her so fascinating… Ryam though… Hmmm? I can see where it would be thrilling, intoxicating even to play with that sort of fire but I do have a hard time envisioning him wanting to play with Elinor. I understood they were friends as well.”
Old 09-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #16
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Lenore, look at the pattern. I know exactly how much my brother hates me, yet he sometimes thinks of me fondly. Why do you expect any more constancy in how he would treat a virgin? Ryam nearly broke my arm when he came home, in the middle of an argument I didn't even understand... and he has continually said things to me that--" she shuddered. "Well. When you no longer blink in shock at your brother trying to get you thrown from your horse? It's not a surprise to imagine he'd abuse others. And... he and Elinor weren't friends before. Polite acquaintances at best- he'd already begged Ziamara to help him get the match dissolved more quickly. So either he wanted something from Elinor or he wanted to use her for some other game."
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Looking curiously at Carolei, “I knew he was troubled from the wars, but I did not realize he’d become so violent towards you.” She sighed and nodded her head, “The furies seem to be haunting the men that have come back.” Lenore became pensive for a long moment.

“That being said, how do you know then that he didn’t want something from me or was using me for some other game?” Len drew out with a raised brow as she came back from whatever thoughts she’d been thinking. “I perhaps had more to offer in a game for him then poor Elinor had. Lord Sollis being married to me and being so close with Luceon, there seems to be quite a bit of room there for a game if one wished to play it. No?”
Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #18
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Carolei shrugged. "Maybe he did. Seducing you was one more way to get himself killed. But he did try to hide what he'd done. That's more than he seems to have done for the others. A poor measure of regard but... there it is. Maybe he felt badly. Or maybe he was just trying to piss in Luceon's beer. That's not beyond possibility either. If this was five years ago... I'd be begging you to hear him out. Now? It would be hearing winds and waves. Noise but not even he can really explain himself anymore."
Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #19
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“I doubt if either of us will ever know for sure what was what in those regards.” She finished her tea off and set it on the small table near her. Len’s brows furrowed, “Am I to understand that you think he’s on the brink of madness?”

“Either way, I do not wish to go to war with you over this all… I don’t wish to go to war with anyone. Heaven’s knows I can crash and burn all on my own. I don’t need anyone to help me do that.” Lenore gave a tight smile at that thought.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"At the brink or well into it. As you say... the furies take hold and their embrace is not one that leads to pleasant places." She sniffed. "You won't end up at war with me over Ryam. He made it quite clear what I thinks of me. My goal is to wed- whether I must settle for my good brother or can find a new family, I don't care so long as I avoid residing in Cliffton ever again. I refuse to live under Ryam's thumb."
Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #21
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Making a mental note to speak to her mother about Ryam. Lenore simply nodded her head. The tea seemed to be cleansing some of the fuzziness but there was a terrible, and utterly familiar throbbing starting to seep in. “Don’t take the rants of a possibly mad man to heart… if he is as you say he is… he knows not what he means.”

“I can’t say as I blame you for looking. I just pray you do not end up in a place worse than Clifton.” Her dark eyes fell to her hands clasped in front of her. “I believe I’ve heard that the king is looking to marry some more of the border lords off. Personally, I happen to like shores men over these mountain variety.” She wrinkled her nose, “Probably, due to visiting there more frequently with my mother. Familiarity is always comforting.”
Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 AM   #22
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Shores or mountains, I do not mind either. Nor did I mind Snakewood... though it was dull as dirt after living in Volorro. Perhaps the Shores would provide a more amusing life. At least I would have the arenas to attend." She smiled and watched Lenore's expression shifting. "Ah, the headache? Westridge wines, I presume..."
Old 09-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #23
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“I can imagine… Copplestone wasn’t terrible unless I was there for an extended visit. By the end of the second week there you’d be going stir crazy.” She nodded, “The Shores doesn’t lack any entertainment for those willing to seek it.”

The muscles in her face contracted in a small grimace. “Gods! I swear I’ve had thrice to drink then what I’ve had to day. I don’t know if it’s the stress of the day or the liquor itself but I do not believe it’s setting well with me.” Her hand came up to touch her forehead. “It’s a slow throb that seems to shake every bit of matter inside my head.”
Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #24
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Likely to be the strain of the day, or you got the wrong vintage." Carolei smiled. "Try snow leaves? You can brew them without the wine to great effect. I find they liven up one's energies on trying days."
Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #25
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Len thought about it a moment, "Hmm... have you tried them in tea? My mother has some really wonderful varieties from the Shores with her that might compliment them nicely."
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #26
(Lady) Carolei Vikary
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Mm, but they can be bitter. You'd need a deal of honey or something to cut it. I usually just gulp it down, or chew them in private as the westron lords are apt to doing. They taste like bitter lemon without the good parts. But gods above it makes one feel like conquoring the world."
Old 09-25-2015, 01:17 AM   #27
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

“Hmmm… Well, my mother’s tea is pretty strong so you have to add more than just a dollop of honey to it anyway…” Lenore smiled, “I haven’t been brave enough to just down them or chew them. Though now that you mention it… it might have been nice to try during my marriage… I could have used something that made me feel like conquering the world.”
Closed Thread

Tags
carolei vikary, lenore vellfyre