Edolon: Empires at War  

Go Back   Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows > The Game Board > Kingsreach > Delving

Delving Almost 3,000 people reside in the lord's seat, ruled by House Seyfert. Delving is the closest town to the northern mountains and saw its share of grief in the Border Wars. The lords here have maintained closer ties to their western neighbors across the border, and to Westridge than other houses of the 'Reach.

Your Stats
Your Avatar

In The Game

Game is Rated MA, 18+

Current Events:
   ♕Royal Progress (3.17.331-????)

♕Bandit Attack (4.17.331)
The king's company is set upon along the road from Mirrormount to Moonspire...

KEY LINKS

Newest Posts

Tag Cloud

Topsites
(click if you have a moment to vote for us)

Shadowplay Topsites

Top RPG Sites

RP Lovers

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
(Lady) Melantha Solvitreo Vellfyre
demoted to extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Default 3.25 post-joust / Better bridges for war / Melantha, Lenore (closed)

After the joust had completed, Melantha waited for the princess to give her leave, and immediately sought out her daughter. In the last two months, she had treated Lenore with the chilly, if orderly, management Melantha gave grown children who displeased her. Her grip was invisible; she would keep Lenore from humiliation again if it killed her, but she admitted that it might, as she had to give her daughter the illusion of being an actual adult who was responsible for herself as well. If only Keegan were here....Melantha ruthlessly tamped that thought down. She could manage. It was only a preference, that was all, not a weakness.

For now, she needed her daughter's eyes and ears. There was not enough concrete gossip in this strange version of Delving to be truly informed. Melantha needed another spy on the loose.

Now where was that girl....
Old 09-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Lenore wasn't moving very fast today, the soreness had sunk in from her activities last night, several times she'd had to tell the various person that, yes, she'd just slept wrong. Parissa had given her leave after the joust and Len was waiting for her turn to congratulate Kain on his victory but from the looks of it... it would be a while before she could weasel in a congratulations.

She listened as Dahlia rattled on about how exciting the jousting had been. Nodding her head in agreement when she had too. Her eyes fell on her mother for a brief moment before she looked away hoping she blended into the wall she was near enough too to avoid her mother. There was no doubt in Lenore's mind that her mother blamed her. Melantha's chilly actions were textbook examples of how she treated her children when they had displeased, or worse, disappointed her. In truth, her mother's actions had solidified her avoiding her family as best as she could, at least from the judgmental ones. She didn't need their constant disapproval to make her feel worse then she already did.

Turning her shoulder towards her mother as if she hadn't seen her, Len pretended to focus more on Dahlia's words. "Yes, he did look magnificent on his horse, didn't he?!" Lenore replied to Dahlia with a small smile, despite her attention still being on her mother. There wasn't much doubt in her mind that Melantha was looking for her... she had that look on her face like she wanted to talk about something.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
demoted to extra

"You make a poor wall, daughter," Melantha spoke as she arrived. It took no more than a dry look from her to send Dahlia packing; there was a flurry of farewells and excuses that Melantha rode out in patient but clearly expectant silence, her hands folded demurely across the front of her gown. "Shall we walk for a bit? Surely there is nothing here keeping your attention at this time." No, a mother couldn't make it any plainer than that....Lenore surely had no attachment enough to the jousters that she would gainsay her mother, now, would she?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Lenore straightened a fraction out of habit as her mother spoke, she sighed and glanced at her mother. "I thought I was doing pretty good, mother." She added dryly. Of course, Melantha terrified Dahlia but it didn't stop Len from sending her maid a narrow eyed look for scurrying away. Thinning her lips she waiting for what ever was to come out of this conversation.

A walk? Nothing to keep her attention? Her jaw twitched and for a moment she looked like she was about to object but a glance at Kain and his crowd. Swallowing she lifted her chin, "Of course." Turning away from the crowd she started off in a slow ambling pace, her jaw set. She had no intention of saying she was sorry for the trouble she'd "caused". Pasting a polite, though chilly smile on her lips that was a complete opposite of her straightforward speech, "What is it you need?"
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
demoted to extra

"I need you to remember to treat your cousin with nothing more than deferential kindness, at least in public," Melantha answered, very low, although she still looked to all onlookers that she was smiling and being cordial. "You are not a hanger-on; you can give him your congratulations once those lesser have dispersed, or when other family does so." Melantha bit back another admonishment; she was overly worried, being in Delving. "This place can be lacking for entertainment, but that doesn't mean we should provide more ourselves."
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Did she know? Lenore slightly stiffened at her mother's words. Coming to a grinding halt she turned to her mother and arched a brow. "Is that all you needed to say to me?" She asked cooly, "To ask me to remember not to embarass myself, embarass you... any further?" Clearing her throat she looked away from her mother and shook her head. "Don't worry, mother. I won't forget." There was a tick in her jaw, "Now, if that is all you needed, you'll have to excuse me... I am sure Parissa, will need us again before dinner, and I still have things that to do before then."

After how chilly her mother had been to her after the divorce with Edric, she couldn't help being a little hurt. She hadn't even known Edric had been petitioning it until after it was done, as far as she'd known they had decided to try and make their marriage work. At least... that's what he'd told her. And Ryam, yes, she'd been a little bit of a fool where he was concerned but she wouldn't make that mistake again.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
demoted to extra

"The princess is fully occupied with her husband," Melantha answered, smoothly, as she looped her arm through Lenore's and effectively and calmly trapped her. "Put away your knives, girl. If that was all I needed to say, I could have done it with a look." Well, that was certainly true. "That was just the opening salvo." Inwardly, Melantha sighed heavily. Kain was going to break her daughter's heart at some point, just the way he broke everything around him right now, unless something was fixed in him.

"Frankly, I am not worried about embarassment, either yours or mine," she said, sharply, but very low. "I'm much more concerned with that tower hanging over our head. I've told my nieces and I am telling you, women are the first to endure such religious punishments."
Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Dropping her thickly lashed eyes to her mother's arm draped through hers now, effectively preventing her from escaping without a scene. Giving her mother a bland look, but she held her tongue letting her mother speak. It was the quickest way for her mother to say what she wanted, pressure Len into doing her bidding, and taking her leave.

Fighting the urge to be petulant, she flicked her gaze to the tower and sighed. Her mother was right... again. "Are you expecting problems?" Her voice was lacking any clue as to what she was feeling. Looking back at her mother, Lenore added in a quieter tone, "Do you think the Seyferts are really buying into all of this...?"
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
demoted to extra

"I always expect problems, and I am usually rewarded by being right," Melantha answered her daughter. "I think that Lord Seyfert does, and the rest don't dare contradict it. In situations such as this, faith is bolstered by demonstrations." Melantha stifled the urge to glance up at the tower herself. "The king is smart to hold a tourney, as it's a welcome distraction, and hopefully is enough to waylay any ideas of sacrifices to such a cult. But still be on guard. Faith wants adherents. Use too many of the locals in such a tower and faith is shaken. Use an outsider...." She shrugged one shoulder, delicately. "I would be more worried if the king were not here. His decisive treatment of the traitors in Tal Volorro did send a message."

She tightened her grip on her daughter's arm a moment. "That wasn't entirely what I wished to speak about, however. I have some work for you."
Old 09-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Lenore contemplated what her mother said, her gaze lingering on the tower a moment before dropping back to her mother. Inhaling a deep breath she gave a slow nod of her head in agreement, "Yes, things would be quite a bit more reactive if the king were not here. I do not expect we'll linger here in Delving any longer then politically necessary. The princess has been up to a little bit of mischief and I do not think Prince Jason was at all pleased by her little stunt yesterday. I would like to say that Jason wants to move on as quickly as possible, but I've not talked about it with him... just a feeling I have."

Melantha's hand tightened on her, and she glanced down at it then back at her mother. This must be important, she sighed inwardly. Arching a brow at Melantha saying she had some work for her to do. After a moment, Lenore glanced around. They were still out in public, giving her mother a nod of her head. "Come on then. Let's discuss this somewhere a bit more privately..."
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
demoted to extra

"If anywhere in this place is indeed private," Melantha observed, grimly. But she was all unconcerned airs as she and Lenore walked back to the temporary chambers given over to Princess Ziamara and her retinue. Melantha didn't say aloud, but she wasn't as keen on Parissa's retinue, and she had some control over those who served Zee. Servants brought them wine and a small repast, as Melantha pleaded fatigue and dryness after the tourney's events that day. She didn't begin their conversation in earnest until they had left, however.

"I have some concerns about your cousins, my nieces Tyana, Zanara, and Amina. At least, Tyana not so much, as she's not shown any indication yet that she's planned mischief this trip. Still waters run deep, though, as we say. Any good Shoreswoman is a sandbar; benign in appearance and treacherous below the surface." She took a sip of the wine, then made a face at it. "Has he let all this go to vinegar? Here, save yourself the trouble," she added, as she moved Lenore's drink. "If Ziamara returns to Summerhall, I may be sent with her. I should need to pass on my observations to you, and expect you to pick up where I leave off."
Old 09-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Shooting her mother an equally grim look, "Somewhere more private then..." They made their way to Ziamara's chambers with little conversation. Lenore seemed quite content to stir clear of Parissa's retinue for this conversation - there was a lady or two that Len didn't trust as far as she could see them. Sitting down not far from her mother she waited till after the servants left that she let her guard drop a little and relaxed into the chair.

Ignoring the wind she looked down at her hands in thought as her mother mentioned her cousins. Wetting her lips, she cast a side glance at her mother and nodded her head, "I hadn't noticed anything peculiar with Zanara, but I see her so often I doubt I pick up on subtle changes." She gave a small sigh, "Amina... Amina is playing with fire with whatever is going on with Kain." Giving her mother a pointed look, "But I believe trying to interfere with Amina on the matter would make her all the more stubborn about it. And Tyana hasn't show too much indication to mischief excluding one or two incidents she hasn't confided in me everything; but what concerns me about her is her rather personal questions towards Prince Jason?"

Shifting her gaze to the wine as her mother moved it she waved it away not wanting to think about wine right now. Giving a nod of her head in understanding as she waited on her mother to speak further.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
demoted to extra

"We cannot interfere with Kain," Melantha said, with certainty. "If I must let Amina pay for carelessness, that is preferable to violating my debt to Prince Bryce. If I appear to be working against one of his children again, espeically Kain directly, that will strain an already fractured relationship." She sighed, rubbing her forehead absently. "If Kain ruins her, and it is known, then Adhemar will deal with that, as much as I dislike it. My only other option is to speak with Bryce directly, but in a concerned manner, so he does not perceive it to be an attack of any kind."

Letting out her breath heavily, Melantha slanted a look at her daughter. She did not indicate whether the observation on Jason was a surprise or not. "What questions did you hear from her, yourself?"
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"You aren't saying anything, I don't already know." She sighed, "The most I've said to Kain about it was to gently warn him. If he was furious with me for telling Ryam about him, I do wonder what he expects Amina will do if the pressure is put on her. She'll do anything to save herself even if that means throwing Kain under a moving carriage." Locking eyes with her mother, "Would you prefer for me to speak to Prince Bryce? He's privy to what transpired between Ryam and I, it might come easier hearing my concern about the situation. If Kain finds out he'll be furious with me but... I know Amina is a cousin and she's been throwing herself at him for quite some time now but I don't trust her not to do what ever she must to save herself with little to no regard for who she brings down with her."

Lenore shrugged, "Just what my opinion of him was and how he was with Parissa, was he a caring and good influence?" Shaking her head, "It's probably nothing but it did strike me as odd."
Old 09-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
demoted to extra

"No, I will speak with Bryce, although I like your suggestions and I shall use them," Melantha answered, approvingly. "I would rather give Kain no reason to interact with you in a negative way as well. I do not mind if he visits his rage on me, but I should keep you safe from it." Again, she had that premonition....Lenore's heart was going to be hurt, it was just a matter of when.

"Go with your instincts," Melantha agreed. "If the questions seemed odd, then they were. So, Tyana is interested in Jason's happiness....or Parissa's? I would err on the side of Parissa, myself. She engenders loyalty, even at her brattiest."
Old 09-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

"Half the interactions between Kain and I are negative." She said blandly. "But any unnecessary negative interactions are greatly appreciated." Offering her mother a tired smile, she relaxed against the back of her chair. Little did Melantha know that Lenore had the same premonition on more then one occasion concerning Kain.

She sighed deeply, "They were not said from the point of curiosity for Parissa. They were directed about Parissa but not curiously about her. She did not ask if Parissa was happy with him, or if Parissa seemed miserable. Her question was specifically about Jason." Lenore explained, meeting her mother's gaze. "Not the sort of questions I would think to ask of a cousin's new marriage."
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
demoted to extra

"No, but then fathoming the mind of someone clever can be a chore in and of itself." Melantha's fingers tightened around the wood of the chair. "Or worse, someone who believes they are being clever. What could she be up to.....planning to alter matters, in her own way?" With a heavy sigh, she added, "I fear for when people confuse kinship with loyalty. It is one thing to feel close to those you foster with and serve, but that is not the same thing as doing right for them, as opposed to your family and your people." Waving that away, she asked, "Is there aught else from her?"
Old 09-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #18
(Lady) Lenore Vellfyre
demoted to extra

My Mood:

Lenore toyed with a ruffle of lace on her dress as she listened to her mother. It was an idle movement, an outlet for her nervous energy that she’d yet to really learn to control. At the mention of confusing kinship with loyalty, Len stopped fidgeting and wondered if that might have been aimed at her. “It only takes being burnt once to learn that lesson…” She murmured.

“No, not really.” Len paused, and added. “Well, she wants me to speak to Princess Ziamara about a new dress idea that she and Lady Natalia have come up with together and would like Zee to wear it.” She shrugged, “Quite frankly, I wasn’t even aware she was culturing a relationship with any of the Seyferts.”
Closed Thread

Tags
lenore vellfyre, melantha vellfyre