Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows

Edolon: A Tournament of Shadows (http://www.edolon.net/index.php)
-   Moonspire (http://www.edolon.net/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   4.23 night (during party) : Here We Are Again (Kain, Alys - Closed) (http://www.edolon.net/showthread.php?t=5653)

Kain Vellfyre 12-24-2015 01:19 AM

4.23 night (during party) : Here We Are Again (Kain, Alys - Closed)

He walked his wife back to the chamber they shared. Like all palaces beyond the 'Shores and old Asseryan influence, Moonspire was tiny but there were rooms enough for the high nobles, though many of the Carolins had been squeezed into sharing chambers. Kain's camp furniture had been partly installed to make up for the comparatively spartan appointments in the place. Still, he looked around the room seeing only how far it was from Vellesca, which pleased him even less than his companion.

"Get out," he snapped at his manservant before turning on Alys. "And you, sit down. I don't know why you feel the need to provoke me into violence, my lady, but I'd appreciate you ceasing." His voice was cold as was his expression. "I have been so proud of you... have I not said so? Have I not shown it from that cursed bandit attack to tonight? Do you just want to piss me off, Alys?"

Alys Fairwind 12-24-2015 03:05 AM

She was silent as they walked and complicit when they arrived. She sat down and looked up at him, back straight, expression hard, eyes sharp. But her hand was on her stomach pressing hard as if trying to stop blood from falling from a wound. She breathed deep and then shook her head. "It is not my wish to piss you off," she said honestly.

"It is not a need to provoke you... I do not like when you are cruel, so why would I go out of my way to invite it. But you were cruel... and you accused me of ignoring my duty to you... which is NOT what I was doing. I have thus far been proud to be your wife... I have no reason to keep away from you other than a good one... And had I been able to, I would not have been gone for so long... I hope that your pride up to this point will extend to faith... Believe me when I say... I needed to be away when I was."

Kain Vellfyre 12-25-2015 12:32 AM

"You do recall that you've spent the last year and more shirking your duties to all and sundry. Doing so again is a continuing of the pattern, not an exception. Whatever excuse you're set upon giving me, save it." Kain sighed and held up his uninjured hand, shaking his head as if to forestall her obvious arguments. "I was stupid to think I could convince you to stop soaking yourself in snow and spirit. This is my fault, Alys, not yours. Stay here, sleep it off or gulp down more... I'll deal with you when I come back. And don't worry, I'll leave a pair of men at the door to keep you from wandering off. Or anybody else wandering in."

Alys Fairwind 12-25-2015 12:47 AM

Alys shot to her feet, her hands balling into fists, breathing in a breath so sharp it almost hurt. "You ass! You ass! You fucking, selfish prick!" she cried. "I'm in this state because of YOU! You fed me all that shit... And I drank up every word. You are just like THEM! You said you were different, and you are... You are worse! I trusted you! I HAVE stopped! But if you're going to believe the worst about me, like everybody else does... then why the fuck am I trying so hard? To please you? To make you proud? Because I thought you gave a damn? No... What I should have recalled was who you are... and that being kind IS an exception... and that believing you to be my friend was where I was truly a fool."

Kain Vellfyre 01-09-2016 01:00 AM

His tired expression became a frown. "What state are you damn well in, Alys? You shriek like a fishwife but instead of explaining yourself, you are the one throwing a fit and accusations. You owe me explanations, not the other way round, darling wife: I'm the one who's done his duty and you are the one who's been a wayward brat. You are proving yourself to me... but questioned once, you act like a scorned harlot. I know the magister said weaning you off was going to cause uneven humor but gods damn... check yourself, Alys." Kain's voice was low and quiet as he watched her. "I am making allowances for you, because you aren't in your right mind. But keep it up and I'll have to remind you that while I am your friend, I am also your lord."

Alys Fairwind 01-09-2016 01:26 AM

She breathed hard, her fingers unclenching but still trembling. Her lip began to tremble, too... and she hated herself for not being able to control it. "My stomach hurt so... I... I could not bear it... It began with the night and I... I quit the hall to empty my stomach... I felt like I would faint if I didn't..."

She shifted and looked away from him. "You've given me much, my lord... I have no right to ask any more of you... But I would still beg one thing... That you believe me. I've kept my word. I did not mean to offer you insult by my leaving. I swear it... I am trying... Harder than I've ever tried for anyone. That you would believe I had stopped... that I've been a wayward brat... or a scorned harlot... angered me. But... you are right... I took what I thought to be friendship for granted... and forgot you are my lord. I won't forget again... Never again."

Kain Vellfyre 01-09-2016 01:37 AM

"Then why didn't you just explain it? That sounds far more believable than a vague excuse, Alys. I can well understand you might be vomiting your guts up but vanishing for an hour with a vague shrug...? That is exactly what I hear from my eldest squire when he sneaks off to fuck a chambermaid."

He shook his head. "I am your friend. And I am trying to be a patient husband, but Kellan has been lying with every other breath for months. If my milk-brother cannot remain honest with me, do you really blame me for suspecting a girl I've barely spoken to before in our lives? Then again, why would you consider that when you don't know me either, save whatever you've retained from Zee?" He raked a hand through his hair and turned away.

"I'm doing the best I can, Alys. I'm not perfect. I'm going to suspect you when you don't deserve it, and no doubt I'll ignore you when I should be paying attention. Hopefully not all the time, but there will be fucking mistakes. And I'm going to hope you'll forgive me. I wonder if you will... And if you ever knock your habit, maybe you'll help Kellan. Gods know, if a slip of a girl can manage it he damn well ought to..."

Alys Fairwind 01-09-2016 01:56 AM

"I've... I've never had to before..." she said lamely. "I... am... ashamed of it... And to have said it... it there? I... I just wanted to seem... stronger than this... Like... Like it wasn't hurting me so much..."

She looked to him again and she took a deep breath, feeling immediately five inches tall. "I'm not either... But I feel like you expect me to be. I hate that I'm a mess, Kain. I hate that I can't be better faster... I... I understand now, I think... It just... It hurts. So many people always assume the worst about me... Even before I gave them reason to... You were different... Until you weren't. That you assumed I'd gone back to it..." She shook her head. "I... I want to be your friend... And so I forgive you... I hope you forgive me, too... I'm... I'm not good at this, yet... But I'm doing my best, too."

Kain Vellfyre 01-09-2016 02:07 AM

"Alys, I already forgave you. I forgave you for slipping up, to be honest. Frankly, I would in your shoes... that's why I assumed you had. This place makes me want to drown in a wine vat, I can't imagine it's any easier for you."

He turned back toward her and held out his hand to her. "Let me hug you? You seem in need of one. And understand: I'll forgive weakness but I hate being lied to. Everyone else lies, Alys. I don't want you to... if it's something you need to confess in privacy, just say that. I'll walk you out. We'll talk. Whether you've been pissing blood or seeing phantoms... fine. I'll hear you. That much I can promise."

Alys Fairwind 01-09-2016 02:24 AM

"I may slip up..." she confessed. "I'm just... so scared of it. I don't want to... I feel so terrible... but I... feel. That's something, isn't it?"

She looked at his hand and then moved closer to him, placing her smaller one in his before she put her other one around his waist and set her cheek to his chest, her eyes closing. "I am only good at lying to myself... But not to other people. I don't want to lie to you, Kain... I don't want to disappoint you either. And that's strange for me... I've never cared before about who thought little of me... But with you... it matters."

Kain Vellfyre 01-09-2016 02:36 AM

He put his good arm around her and lifted his hand up so it rested on the back of her head before he bent to kiss the crown of her hair and held her more tightly. "I don't want you to slip up either. It would be nice to have a wife who is... reasoning and feeling on her own. Despite the accusation, I don't actually prefer stupidity in my bed-mates. It can be nice for a night or two, but it gets tiresome. I don't think little of you, Alys. I think you're... lonely and stronger than you know. And beautiful, by the way."

Alys Fairwind 01-09-2016 08:08 PM

She blinked her eyes open, taking his meaning and nodding slowly. That... did at least ease the sting to her ego... Or whatever it was. Maybe it'd been jealousy. She knew she was prone to fits of that in some measure. But it'd never been quite so sudden. Or so keen.

"Your words mean much to me," she whispered. "I have been deeply lonely. But I've been weak, too. Nobody's pushed me to test my strength before. Not even... Not even Brandon." His name was spoken low in a tremulous breath. "He always fought my battles for me. I will always be grateful to him for that. But I think... perhaps it was a disservice... I should have been made to fight some of them myself. The way you've pushed me... I do not feel strong... Not yet. But I will. I know I will."

She closed her eyes and breathed deep, taking in his scent and relaxing a little. "I may not always be the perfect wife, Kain. I may sometimes make you angry. I know I will. But I will never lie to you. I will always try. I want... to make you proud. To make Zee proud. I don't want the king to think I cannot change for the better." She sighed and her hand clutched at his shirt. "You're a good friend, Kain. And handsome. For whatever it's worth... I'm glad that you're my husband."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 12:36 AM

"You are my wife," he whispered. "And I will not always be at your side. I need you to fight some battles on your own... at least, to lead the vanguard, so to speak. I'll be behind you, Alys- whether or not I am standing beside you when the charge begins."

He smirked though he hid the expression by kissing her hair again. "I've not been handsome for a long time. The Zakkish saw to that... but I'm glad to hear it all the same." There was a moment's pause before he spoke again. "Zee needs your help, Alys. Your sober help. We left her on her own too long- I saw that last winter. And by what I see around us now, we'll leave her own again ere long. I saw my sister sent alone into the wolves' den. I don't want to watch the same thing happen to her."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 12:48 AM

"That... means more to me than I can say," she spoke softly.

Her head shook slightly. "I will always support your husband. But in this, I must disagree. Scars are not what makes a man ugly. I have always thought you were handsome. The Zakkish did not change my opinion." She fell silent save for the few deep breaths she took, and she clenched her eyes even tighter. "I will be by her even though it will pain me to see you go. To see you all go. I... know I will not be enough. But it will be something. So long as you and Jason are gone, though..." She sighed sadly. "To say nothing of her betrothed. She pretends not to care but... his parting will wound her, too. I know her well enough to know that."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 01:18 AM

"Vaughn? Perhaps." He ran a hand down Alys' back and up again, stroking the curve of her body in an idle gesture, though it was one meant to comfort. "You'll have another and you have your sisters. More than some have yet remaining..." Kain paused and then kissed her forehead. "I'm a monster, Alys. But an honest one: I do ugly things and I bear an ugly scar to remind the world of it. I'll be a beast now and again... but I can apologize. Occasionally, I might even learn from my mistakes. This is my attempt just now, trying to... make sure there's some arrangement for when we're all gone. I know you're not your best and I want you prepared even now."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 01:28 AM

"A little at least. Not half so much as watching her kin leave..." she said, her lips forming a small smile at the comforting gesture. "Many people are monsters. Few admit it. And all people do ugly things. Some uglier than others. There's darkness in everybody, though... Beastly thoughts which sometimes lead to action..." She looked up at him and lifted her hand to his shoulder. "I know it is pointless to wish you didn't have to go. But I wish it anyway. And not only for myself."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 01:37 AM

"Says the girl who's known me but a few weeks for true. And has only had me lose my temper at her once." He grinned down at her. "You'll sing another tune in a few months, my lady." He lifted his hand to touch her cheek. "You's sing another tune in the morning, I fear, if I let myself off the leash. You aren't well tonight, and I should go find my mistress. It would not be kindness to ask you be a wife this evening."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 02:03 AM

"That is true. But I at least know the nature of people. And I know my own nature, too," she added. He couldn't be much worse than Charlotte, though. At least so far his moods were easier to read. "I wish I could be a good wife for you this evening. I wish my stomach would cooperate with my desire..." She sighed and lifted her hand to touch his hair. "Could... you at least kiss me?"

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 02:19 AM

"I could." He didn't wait for another invitation. Kain's hand moved on her cheek so his palm slid along her jaw and tilted her head up as he bent to lay his lips on hers. He kissed her lightly for the first few moments, but turned his head a bit so his lips slanted and he deepened the kiss to a far more demanding one. He withdrew a few moments later. "I would like to see your lips swollen with kisses some evening soon," he whispered. "I hope you are able to accept such attentions ere long, Alys."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 02:36 AM

The softness of his lips always seemed to catch her off guard, and she sighed against them, willingly parting her own when he pushed to deepen the kiss. Her hand dropped to the back of his neck and she pressed her body closer to his, whimpering when it ended. "I... hope so too..." she said breathlessly. "I swear I shall make it up to you, Kain."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 02:49 AM

He chuckled and cupped her cheek again. "Don't worry about making it up to me. And don't be cruel to Amina, please? She's a sweet girl, eager to please. And a Solvitreo. I bed her because it's good to have an ear in their camp and... well, it's nice to have a girl who just thinks of pleasing instead of forever begging to be made Lady This or have that many rubies and gems. Her time as my mistress won't last forever- her uncle has plans for her, I'm sure, but our liason is half political on both our parts. You're my wife, Alys. I don't forget that."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 03:01 AM

It... was going to be difficult. But she understood it. She hated that she did. Of all the times to not be a brat... "Out of respect for you... and for what you've just told me... I will be kind to her. Within reason... Unless of course being at odds with me grants you more insight into their camp as you call it..." She sighed. "Nothing is forever..." she agreed. "If she is a sweet girl, Kain... you ought to be careful, too. Sweet girls are so fragile..."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 03:26 AM

"I've gathered as much." Kain looked thoughtful then kissed her forehead. "I don't intend to hurt her. Not that such intentions ever count for much when men bed women. Just don't go claws-out aiming to ruin her, Alys? I know you could, if you set your mind to it. But you're my wife and I'll warm your bed as soon as you're well enough."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 03:29 AM

"I could... But... even if I let my mind run rampant with jealousy, I do not think that I would seek to ruin her. Ty and Zanara would be furious with me, probably. And the princess seems rather fond of her... All of that would be enough to give me pause even if you hadn't asked me not to be vicious. When I ruin somebody, I promise it will be somebody who deserves it."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 04:17 AM

He grinned at that. "In which case, to take your mind off your illness... why not find a few people deserving of your concentration? Gods know a few of our hosts seem worthy of contempt, but I suppose that doesn't give you much time."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 05:43 PM

"Perhaps in the future... But I am certain there are others who are a more permanent fix in this court who are deserving. I think between the two of us, we might be able to come to some sort of agreement. Shame about Ausla... She would have been a good target, I think... Terrible way to go."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 06:05 PM

"Ausla was as stupid a child as ever the Shores bred. I heard her disgraced lady was most determinedly wailing about it to the king in the few short minutes my uncle granted her audience. I suspect Raisa will be shunted into a boat the second we reach Moonspire," Kain snorted. "That one's been a waste of pretty breasts. I think my uncle would have forgiven the bandits had they possessed the good sense to kill her rather than Ausla... ah well. There's always a river god to blame if the boat overturns." He smirked and let his hand stroke Alys' hair for a moment. "What of the Seyfert girl? Or one of those dratted Harrowmonts? There are too many of them about these days, and I can't keep the damn things straight."

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 06:18 PM

Alys bit her lip a little. "The Seyfert girl is kin... But more than that, she is difficult to measure. There's some sport when you pick a target who can fight back, but... I need to see her play the game a little. Unless you meant the younger one... in which case there's no sport at all. Shame the king has come to favor Salindra so..."

Kain Vellfyre 01-10-2016 06:26 PM

That got his interest. "What, the little Seyfert? Is there a little Seyfert? Shit. I probably mistook her for another shrimpy Harrowmont. What's amiss with Salindra, my lady?"

Alys Fairwind 01-10-2016 06:42 PM

"Yes. I... forget her name... Olive... Olandra... Odina... It doesn't matter. Your cousins took pity on her. I think Zee told me that it was Lucia who asked she be brought along with the court. I... ought to see if she is okay before I write my next letter to Zee," she said as an afterthought. The last question did have Alys scowling. "Only that she insulted my dear friend and your dear cousin when she asked to be removed from her service. Whatever her intention... it was a terrible thing to do... And that she's now the king's mistress... If Ziamara's not bitter enough to be livid, I am."